Ram Tradesman w/power wagon option VS Gladiator rubicon/mojave

phsycle

Adventurer
I can’t do red. Had a friend with a red Honda Prelude way back in the day. The car turned pink after a few years. 😖😝
I like the utilitarian look of a white Tradesman PW.

STREGA

Explorer
correct. funny thing is all the tradesmans with pw option I have looked at have had the cab lights, they are only a $95 option.
That makes them less than $20 a light installed got to be one of the best $ value options around.

STREGA

Explorer
took back to back test drives between the Ram Tradesman pw and the Gladiator rubicon and did not make the decision any easier. If the ram would have been a bit less red I might have made an offer but not sure a 61yoa guy needs to be driving something so bright lol. they had a nice black one but it is out of my price range.View attachment 607066View attachment 607067
I bought a new 2005 PW that was Flame red and it looked really good at first but after couple years I was really tired of it, hard to keep clean. Wish they would do a Gobi color, white always works but not real exciting. The black does hide the PW decals nicely but like red is hard to keep clean looking.

jadmt

Get the red dirty, then it’s less red. That’s a nice truck, how did you like the Hemi and zf 8 speed combo?
it drove great and good power and smooth shifting altho the gladiator felt great too. Ram was obviously a lot bigger. I wish it had a little better payload. it is so much bigger than the gladiator it should have a bigger difference in pay load.
82CCED58-7A9F-47B5-9352-5233E475FD71.jpegA45B6A4A-EADB-4CA5-A793-C287831C58C2.jpeg

jadmt

I bought a new 2005 PW that was Flame red and it looked really good at first but after couple years I was really tired of it, hard to keep clean. Wish they would do a Gobi color, white always works but not real exciting. The black does hide the PW decals nicely but like red is hard to keep clean looking.
I like white (I have owned 3 white wranglers). My recon that I just sold was Gobi and after 3 years with Gobi I would definitely go white over gobi. they have a white one coming in and I asked when and they checked the computer and it has not even started being built yet. Makes me wonder when the 2020 line ends and the 2021 starts.

STREGA

Explorer
I like white (I have owned 3 white wranglers). My recon that I just sold was Gobi and after 3 years with Gobi I would definitely go white over gobi. they have a white one coming in and I asked when and they checked the computer and it has not even started being built yet. Makes me wonder when the 2020 line ends and the 2021 starts.
My last 5 vehicles have all been white and haven’t regretted buying them because of the color. White maybe a bit boring but very practical. What did you not like about Gobi?
Not a huge difference between the Gladiator and PW on the payload rating. But I wouldn’t have as much of a problem going over it on the PW as the Gladiator just because it’s a 2500 truck with soft springs that can be stiffen up, maybe not legally and it does defeat what being a PW is about a bit.

Recommended books for Overlanding

nitro_rat

On a Suburban Excursion
The PW is derated on towing because of its softer springs. Physically the frame and axles will hold up to whatever towing load the SRW 3500 can handle. I've heard horror stories of Gladiators breaking the frames while towing those cute little "off road" glamping trailers...

jadmt

The PW is derated on towing because of its softer springs. Physically the frame and axles will hold up to whatever towing load the SRW 3500 can handle. I've heard horror stories of Gladiators breaking the frames while towing those cute little "off road" glamping trailers...
I saw the one report but there ended up being more to that story apparently.

jadmt

My last 5 vehicles have all been white and haven’t regretted buying them because of the color. White maybe a bit boring but very practical. What did you not like about Gobi?
Not a huge difference between the Gladiator and PW on the payload rating. But I wouldn’t have as much of a problem going over it on the PW as the Gladiator just because it’s a 2500 truck with soft springs that can be stiffen up, maybe not legally and it does defeat what being a PW is about a bit.
it is strange but some days it looked really good and other days it looked washed out. I will say the paint was very tough I did not have a single chip or scratch in 35,000 miles and pin striping easily buffed out. But there is something about the bright white that I just like. I never once got tired of it. Now if they made gobi on the pw it would be my second or third choice as that crystal granite is a good looking color.

jadmt

I have been reading on some sites and there are those that say that it is not as easy as just adding air bags to increase load capacity as the the 5 link rear is not strong enough to carry the heavy loads. the towing part is not an issue as I would never be even close to the tow rating. I wish it had a bit more payload tho as I would love to have a slide in pop up but even light ones when ready to go will max you out without even taking into account passengers, my wife and dog along with me would be around 400lbs. That was the one big advantage I was thinking the pw would have over the smaller jeep. The jeep will tow any trailer I would pull no problem.

STREGA

Explorer
I saw the one report but there ended up being more to that story apparently.
Almost always is. One of the reasons why I’m considering the Mojave over the Rubi is the beefier frame, assuming it will be driven in a reasonable manner frame breakage should not be a problem.