-->

Ram Tradesman w/power wagon option VS Gladiator rubicon/mojave (turned into a Power Wagon build thread)

Explorerinil

Observer
I have a 2020 F250 Tremor with the 6.7L diesel. My payload is 2850 lbs. It came stock with 35” tires which are definitely heavier than the Power Wagons 33”.

Also - the 7.3 Gas Tremor has a significantly higher payload than mine (its, and the F350 which is identical in every way but the door emblem, is even higher.

You can add 1300 lbs to the Tremor and still have as much left as the Power Wagon has stock.

Not bashing the PW at all. It’s an insanely capable vehicle. It just falls short of some other full sized trucks by quite a bit in payload and towing.
True and good point, the tremor and gm at4 are nice basic off road packages, the power wagon is a true off road truck and not a basic package. While the power wagon lacks payload, it dominates the others off-road. Like I tell people, if your towing a camper or something down a ruff road, the tremor is a good option. If your going off road. The power wagon is the best option.

jadmt

To be technical , they aren’t the same. They have a different powder coat finish compared to the other bumpers, it’s also listed in your build sheet. I went through this mess after being rear ended by a dui driver. Body shop explained it to me.
I would still wager they weigh virtually the same and start out as the same piece other than one is chrome and the pw is powder coated.

jadmt

Found this interesting not that i really value CR at all. RAM 2500 does well and Gladiator knocks it out of the park.

Trixxx

True and good point, the tremor and gm at4 are nice basic off road packages, the power wagon is a true off road truck and not a basic package. While the power wagon lacks payload, it dominates the others off-road. Like I tell people, if your towing a camper or something down a ruff road, the tremor is a good option. If your going off road. The power wagon is the best option.
The Power Wagon is certainly the best full sized option for hardcore off-roading. Primarily with the locking front axle and electronic sway bar disconnect.

With the kind of travel I do (several thousand mile trips), fuel range is important to me. If I had to stretch it, I can drop my cruise down to 55-60 mph and get 22-23mpg easy, with a 34 gallon tank. The diesel also allows me to replace the factory tank with a Titan(55 gallons) or add an aux tank to my bed if necessary.

While we certainly go off road, we’re always alone in the middle of nowhere with no reception, so I’m certainly not going to push my vehicle to the extreme where I’d make it in a PW but not in the Tremor.

If I wheeled with groups, in more populated areas, and did shorter trips, I’d definitely be in a PW. To be honest, I think I should have test drove a PW as maybe i’d be in one now. Definitely a trade off with either route.

phsycle

Adventurer
With the kind of travel I do (several thousand mile trips), fuel range is important to me. If I had to stretch it, I can drop my cruise down to 55-60 mph and get 22-23mpg easy, with a 34 gallon tank. The diesel also allows me to replace the factory tank with a Titan(55 gallons) or add an aux tank to my bed if necessary.

While we certainly go off road, we’re always alone in the middle of nowhere with no reception, so I’m certainly not going to push my vehicle to the extreme where I’d make it in a PW but not in the Tremor.

If I wheeled with groups, in more populated areas, and did shorter trips, I’d definitely be in a PW. To be honest, I think I should have test drove a PW as maybe i’d be in one now. Definitely a trade off with either route.
While longer range is nice, does it prevent you from going on those several thousand mile trips with a smaller tank and worse MPG? Some places, maybe you have to plan a bit. But even when I drove a 1st Gen Tacoma with, what was it—18 gallon tank, I was fine all over NA. If going into really deserted areas, throw in a Jerry can or two.

For your rig, I’d be more worried about diesel availability, especially if you head south of the border.

jadmt

While longer range is nice, does it prevent you from going on those several thousand mile trips with a smaller tank and worse MPG? Some places, maybe you have to plan a bit. But even when I drove a 1st Gen Tacoma with, what was it—18 gallon tank, I was fine all over NA. If going into really deserted areas, throw in a Jerry can or two.

For your rig, I’d be more worried about diesel availability, especially if you head south of the border.
I think of all the motorcycle trips I took and never carried extra fuel and was lucky if I had a 200 mile range most of the time.

Antwon412

I should look into this. I should’ve just special requested it 3 months ago when I bought the topper I guess.

Looks good!

Oilbrnr

I have a 2020 F250 Tremor with the 6.7L diesel. My payload is 2850 lbs. It came stock with 35” tires which are definitely heavier than the Power Wagons 33”.

Also - the 7.3 Gas Tremor has a significantly higher payload than mine (its, and the F350 which is identical in every way but the door emblem, is even higher.

You can add 1300 lbs to the Tremor and still have as much left as the Power Wagon has stock.

Not bashing the PW at all. It’s an insanely capable vehicle. It just falls short of some other full sized trucks by quite a bit in payload and towing.
Do you want payload, or do you want articulation? Pick one. Physics are a **********. ;)

One other thing if comparing a Tremor to a PW, over 9" of difference in the wheelbase... With a FWC in the bed, and needing to take tight trail arcs to clear branches, outcroppings that can mean something. I'm not sure what the max turning angle is on the Ford, but I'd assume it is similar to the AAM.

Trixxx

Do you want payload, or do you want articulation? Pick one. Physics are a **********. ;)

One other thing if comparing a Tremor to a PW, over 9" of difference in the wheelbase... With a FWC in the bed, and needing to take tight trail arcs to clear branches, outcroppings that can mean something. I'm not sure what the max turning angle is on the Ford, but I'd assume it is similar to the AAM.
With a wet weight of 1500-1800 lbs, no power wagon can legally be hauling a four wheel camper. That’s a poor example. You should select something within the power wagons capacity. Maybe a fiberglass shell?

The dodge has better articulation, while the Ford has better ground clearance, approach angle, and rated for deeper water fording..

I’m not sure how the power wagon is really even considered a 3/4 ton truck. It’s haul/tow ratings are similar to a Raptors, and significantly less than a lot of half tons.

With a wet weight of 1500-1800 lbs, no power wagon can legally be hauling a four wheel camper. That’s a poor example. You should select something within the power wagons capacity. Maybe a fiberglass shell?

The dodge has better articulation, while the Ford has better ground clearance, approach angle, and rated for deeper water fording..

I’m not sure how the power wagon is really even considered a 3/4 ton truck. It’s haul/tow ratings are similar to a Raptors, and significantly less than a lot of half tons.
Like some people have mentioned in prior comments the pw is a 3/4 thru and thru. The running gear is all identical to a non pw 3/4 ton. The towing and payload numbers are only because of the differences in spring rates and the changes to the front radius arms. If someone truly wanted to they could change springs and arms and still have the other pw goodies with the regular 2500 capacity. And your arguments about water fording depth and ground clearance is really only due to the fact that ford was smart enough to put 35s from the factory and Ram still refuses to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phsycle

Adventurer
Yes live and learn...I probably should have did the vented cover too lol.
They sent me the mesh cover by mistake and I returned it. I just couldn’t think of any reason to have one. When would I ever use it? Maybe if you camp out in the back often in the summer time?? Kind of expensive vs just rolling up the rear and buying one of those $15 mosquito nets that cover the entire back end of the truck.