Ram Tradesman w/power wagon option VS Gladiator rubicon/mojave (turned into a Power Wagon build thread)

Explorerinil

Observer
I have an AEV pro cal snap.
be Careful, that caused my truck to be towed to the dealer, AEV says they don’t work with power wagons, but I’m guessing it’s only certain power wagons, ones with the 12 inch screen. I’ve heard of some people with tradesman power wagons that get it to work ok.

jadmt

be Careful, that caused my truck to be towed to the dealer, AEV says they don’t work with power wagons, but I’m guessing it’s only certain power wagons, ones with the 12 inch screen. I’ve heard of some people with tradesman power wagons that get it to work ok.
I live just a few minutes from AEV r&d and when they found I had a 2020 power wagon the owner ask me if I would bring my truck in so Jordan, Dave's brother and inventor of the procal could figure out what was going on with the 2019 and 2020 pw's. According to Jordan it turned out to be a simple fix having to do with the speed that the brake pedal returned after pressing it during programming. Works on mine perfectly and my buddy who also just bought a 2020 stopped by and picked one up from Jordan and he brought it over to my house and we programmed his as well. Jordan said it has nothing to do with the 12" screen, it has to do with the rate the brake pedal returns. He could duplicate the problem if he really pressed on the brake pedal during that sequence. Also on 2020 PW there are two green star connectors and only the one closest (thicker one) works.

Explorerinil

Observer
I live just a few minutes from AEV r&d and when they found I had a 2020 power wagon the owner ask me if I would bring my truck in so Jordan, Dave's brother and inventor of the procal could figure out what was going on with the 2019 and 2020 pw's. According to Jordan it turned out to be a simple fix having to do with the speed that the brake pedal returned after pressing it during programming. Works on mine perfectly and my buddy who also just bought a 2020 stopped by and picked one up from Jordan and he brought it over to my house and we programmed his as well. Jordan said it has nothing to do with the 12" screen, it has to do with the rate the brake pedal returns. He could duplicate the problem if he really pressed on the brake pedal during that sequence. Also on 2020 PW there are two green star connectors and only the one closest (thicker one) works.
I called and emailed him and could not get him to return a call or email. AEV kept telling me that it won’t work on power wagons, shortly after this they put on their website that it doesn’t work with the power wagon. Wish I was close by, I would have them program it as the procal is a great product for the money.

dnorrell

Adventurer
Interesting. Do you know if AEV will simply revise instructions for 2020 Rams? Or will they simply not officially support these trucks with the Snap? Maybe I should ask this in their forums...

jadmt

Interesting. Do you know if AEV will simply revise instructions for 2020 Rams? Or will they simply not officially support these trucks with the Snap? Maybe I should ask this in their forums...
I don’t know for sure but it it makes sense that they will probably just reprogram the snap to account for this and add something about what green star connector to use.

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
Power wagon = everything is over built for the power and payload/towing... if you tow or haul, the power wagon is going to have a lot more excess capacity before you reach failure
PW is a great offroad rig, but a terrible overlanding rig. It has literally no payload, at around 1K. Make sure the check the door sticker of the vehicle you want. If you have the VIN, you can put it into this website page to get your actual payload for your specific rig: https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html

nater

Adventurer
PW is a great offroad rig, but a terrible overlanding rig. It has literally no payload, at around 1K. Make sure the check the door sticker of the vehicle you want. If you have the VIN, you can put it into this website page to get your actual payload for your specific rig: https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html
It's a good point - but note I said failure vs legal limit - tacoma guys seem to make a sport of exceeding the weight limits of their rigs 🤣

phsycle

Adventurer
It's a good point - but note I said failure vs legal limit - tacoma guys seem to make a sport of exceeding the weight limits of their rigs 🤣
I am 100% for staying below the GVWR, but if I had no choice, I’d much rather be in a PW than a Taco.

jadmt

entering my VIN I get 1565lbs and towing 10999lbs. The payload is exactly what is on my door jamb. Never actually seen one as low as 1000lbs and i am on pw forums. 71AAF103-318C-4236-B617-F7231070823A.jpeg

Grassland

My dinky F150 is 1505# but that was before 34x10.5 LT tires, skids, topper etc.
And my chassis and drive train isn't as beefy as the PW