Ram Tradesman w/power wagon option VS Gladiator rubicon/mojave (turned into a Power Wagon build thread)

Todd n Natalie

Observer
I am at 1500 miles and so far am pretty impressed with the mpg. I was expecting much worse.
View attachment 616642
I was curious how that compared to my F150 so I looked it up....

Capture.PNG

IMG_5141.JPG

You're getting better fuel mileage out of your 3/4 ton truck with a 6.4L than my 1/2 ton truck with a 5.0L. 😬

For what it's worth, I have 275/70/18 duratrac's on my truck and it's stock height. So, comparable in that sense....

Power Wagon's really need transmission armor. When I had mine, the aftermarket was just getting into developing that--they also need F/R diff armor and rock rails to really be fully covered. Then 35/37s for the breakover and an aluminess bumper :)

As a side note, anyone in the South Florida area want to by an airaid snorkel and rock rails (never installed) for a 5.7 Hemi Power Wagon lol?

phsycle

Adventurer
Still waiting on the Dethloff skid. Was supposed to be here already but according to Dethloff the fires in that area delayed things. He said it would ship this week so hopefully it will. Scored a deal on some AEV Salta wheels for $150 a pop with free shipping. Funny thing is my jeeping liked mine so much after driving it he sold his 2020 Duramax outright and bought a loaded Power wagon himself. He also jumped on the Salta wheel deal and he ordered a Decked system for it already. I am at 1500 miles and so far am pretty impressed with the mpg. I was expecting much worse.
View attachment 616641View attachment 616642
Is that mostly highway? Impressive.

jadmt

Is that mostly highway? Impressive.
Not sure if you are familiar with western Montana but that was starting in Missoula going up the swan valley to big fork and back along the east side highway along Flathead lake and then back to Missoula driving the speed limits which vary from 60-75mph.

phsycle

Adventurer
Not sure if you are familiar with western Montana but that was starting in Missoula going up the swan valley to big fork and back along the east side highway along Flathead lake and then back to Missoula driving the speed limits which vary from 60-75mph.
Yeah, I’ve driven that stretch before. Had a friend with a lake house there in Flathead. Beautiful area. 8-speed must have done wonders for that 6.4.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Dreaming of Jupiter
by Ted Simon
From $16.43
Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World
by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman
From $14.59
The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United Stat...
by TeriAnn Wakeman
From $64.95
Adventure Motorcycling Handbook: A Route & Planning Guide
by Chris Scott
From $48.88

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Still waiting on the Dethloff skid. Was supposed to be here already but according to Dethloff the fires in that area delayed things. He said it would ship this week so hopefully it will. Scored a deal on some AEV Salta wheels for $150 a pop with free shipping. Funny thing is my jeeping buddy liked mine so much after driving it he sold his 2020 Duramax outright and bought a loaded Power wagon himself. He also jumped on the Salta wheel deal and he ordered a Decked system for it already. I am at 1500 miles and so far am pretty impressed with the mpg. I was expecting much worse.
View attachment 616641View attachment 616642
It's the trans for the mpgs. I used to get 10-11 mpg with my '11 PW on summer gas. Worse on winter blend.
I'm kicking myself for getting the 1500 and not a PW now. Kicking....

Grassland

I'm blown away with that fuel economy!
My 3.7 V6 F150 has never seen better than 20 US mpg on BFG 34" KO2s (which are 33") and is typically around 13-15 towing our pop up, and 15-17 in town.
You have OEM lockers, way heavier duty axles, way more power, and some more payload.
Can't wait to see this thing on a variety of tires.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I was getting over 20 mpg with the 1500 until I mounted 255/80-17 Toyo AT3 tires --- narrow true 33". With 3.92 gearing my mileage dropped to around 17.
Just tires. I didn't think it would affect it that much.
....but the OE tires were P rated softie sidewall crap. 31.6" but really bad offroad.

jadmt

It's the trans for the mpgs. I used to get 10-11 mpg with my '11 PW on summer gas. Worse on winter blend.
I'm kicking myself for getting the 1500 and not a PW now. Kicking....
just do it, life is short and you are getting closer to the end of it than you are the start of it....some times you need to throw common sense out the window and just do it...think about it if you were to trade you will get top dollar still and 5 years down the road your balls will have started growing back....

jadmt

I'm blown away with that fuel economy!
My 3.7 V6 F150 has never seen better than 20 US mpg on BFG 34" KO2s (which are 33") and is typically around 13-15 towing our pop up, and 15-17 in town.
You have OEM lockers, way heavier duty axles, way more power, and some more payload.
Can't wait to see this thing on a variety of tires.
I am going to see what it is like to actually wear out a set of tires on this rig....good thing is I have a feeling the stock duracraps will be worn out in a year as it is hard not to give it a little extra gas to break them loose now and then.