Ram Suction Cup Mounts

NikonRon

Adventurer
How well do the Ram suction cup mounts adhere to glass (windshield)? Anyone have problems with them falling off? I have a Garmin Streetpilot III that I would like to use one with. Thanks in advance, Ron

kjp1969

Explorer
I have had great success with mine. I have a couple of hard mounts in my two cars, and a suction cup for my wife's and for rent-a-cars. The suction cup is big- like the diameter of a hockey puck big, and can actually block your vision if you don't place it well. But it's as solid as a rock, and doesn't fall off even if you're gaining altitude. My stock Garmin cup would let go all the time with the pressure changes.

jnaut

Observer
How well do the Ram suction cup mounts adhere to glass (windshield)? Anyone have problems with them falling off? I have a Garmin Streetpilot III that I would like to use one with. Thanks in advance, Ron

unbelievably well. However, all suction cups can fall off. My old non-ram suction mount used to fall off anytime there was a significant change in the weather. Ie, if I parked in direct sun I would often find it on the floorboards. But when I got my ram, it has a very different mechanism that really pulls a vacuum hard on the mounting surface. Highly recommended.

Yes, under extreme temp changes it may come off. But it will not come off due to vibration. My old suction mount would come off once in a while when I was off road. The Ram mount has NEVER come off due to vibration.

The last time it fell off was after it had been on for over a year, I went up through a mountain pass to go snowboarding. The temp had over 20 degrees-- well below freezing. When I came back out to my car the mount was on the floorboards. It hasn't fallen off since. So it's probably recommended that you occasionally dismount it, clean the glass and remount it. But I never do that.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I'll add another note that they work great! I've used mine for weeks in my truck with a garmin aviation GPS496 map. I also have the same GPS in the helicopter that I fly, mounted to the windscreen with garmin's suction mount. Holds great even with constant vibrations and temperature changes.

Kilroy

Adventurer
I've had mine on for a year and it has never come off. This is after I realized need to clean glass and suction cup with glass cleaner just prior to installation.:ylsmoke:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have the cheap ram mount from EBay for my big and heavy Garmin 2610 street pilot. Holds up over miles of rough roads on different vehicles.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
I've run a garmin 276c (fairly similar in size to steet III) for years off of a ram suction cup. It works great. Like others have said - large rapid temp changes will likely cause it to fall but it stands firm against shock and vibration.

Kilroy

Adventurer
I've run a garmin 276c (fairly similar in size to steet III) for years off of a ram suction cup. It works great. Like others have said - large rapid temp changes will likely cause it to fall but it stands firm against shock and vibration.

Temp hasn't made a difference on Ram suction cup since cleaning good.

kai38

Explorer
I have a XM radio unit that use to be mounted with the suction cup. For the most part it held real well, but some times did fall off. A few times while driving but most of the time getting back into the truck it would be laying on the dash.
I just changed over to a pro-clip http://www.proclipusa.com/Default.asp
They make clips for different vehicles and places to mount in the car.
The dash on my FJ Cruiser is so big I couldn't reach the XM to change stations.
This is what I replaced it with.

image.asp

nickt

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0009
My experience so far with the RAM suction mounts has been good. They hold up better than other mounts, but over time <2 years, the rubber does stretch a little and it starts to drop off more frequently.

Still, they are the best suction mounts I've found so far.

Nick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94