Ram Rebel or Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
The Ram is more truck for the buck. A friend of mine is looking for a new truck and he's probably getting a Rebel. He has looked at and/or driven just about everything out there and he has narrowed it down to a Rebel or F-150. He had a first gen Tundra for about 17 years and the new Toys just don't cut it for him. The Ram has a much bigger cab and is a lot more comfortable for long trips, plus more space for camping gear in back.

Halligan

Adventurer
So your debating a full size Rebel vs. a midsize Tacoma? I vote full size myself but I'm also a 6'2" 265lb guy and need the room. I think you should decide what "size" truck you really need then hone in on the brand.

Halligan

Adventurer
Let me add that the Rebel will be better in all your listed categories except maybe off-roading. That would be determined by the type of off pavement driving you encounter.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I’ve had 2 gen 4s. A 2009 1500 and a ‘14 3500 CTD.

I had a Tacoma as a work truck a few years ago, and although it drove fine, it was junk in my opinion when compared to my Ram.

The Rams ride so much better, have bigger engines, get better mileage, and are available in a diesel 1500. Plus, if you’re towing 4K, that’s nearly at the limit of the Toyota and well within spec for the Ram.

The only issue would be parts and mods availability. It’s hard to beat the aftermarket support for Toyota. But Rams seem to be growing support every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ballbearing

Observer
I have a tacoma double cab. It's a TRD offroad, not pro, but I think the following issues would be the same amongst them.

It's rated to tow around 6000 pounds, but I wouldn't even get close. I towed my Father's 3000 pound camper for a couple hundred miles and didn't enjoy it. For towing, personally, I would want a bigger truck.

When it's just me in the truck there's plenty of room. If my girlfriend and her 2 kids go then it's really tight. (Cabin and storage, but we might over pack a bit). There's no leg room for the kids in the back and I have the drivers seat approximately in the mid position. They complain on trips longer than an hour or so and they are small.

I really like the size of the truck for getting around in tighter areas and the Tacoma has been trouble free for me, but I'm in in the market for a full size now based on my observations/needs listed above.

You mentioned overall truck purposes. I wouldn't consider the Tacoma a good choice for overall truck purposes. Small bed, low useable payload, etc. Its still great for what it is though and can probably be pressed into those duties.

MPG on mine has been around 18 overall mixed. Hand calculated. It seems like the 1/2 tons are capable of this these days.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tacollie

Glamper
The only midsize I would consider for towing is a diesel Colorados 3000 lbs trailer is a diesel Colorado. I say that as a Toyota guy. If you can live with the size of a bigger truck then get a full-size. I like F150s and Tundras but they are all good. Some of the Rams have really low payload depending on the packages.

Thinman

my vote: :)

seems like the Rebel would win everywhere except gas milage and the occasion tight fit. but after the new truck smell wears off....who needs paint and stuff anyway??

Dalko43

Explorer
If you're going to do 90% daily driving in an urban/suburban setting, get the Tacoma. That is where the Tacoma really shines IMHO: its practical enough as a daily driver but still has very good offroad capabilities.

If you're using this truck to do lots of long-distance trips or lots of work/projects which require heavy towing/payloads, get the Ram or another 1/2 ton. The new Tacoma is improved over the older one, but it still isn't all that comfortable for long trips, especially if you're a bigger person. The 3.5l v6 engine in the Tacoma is better suited for sedans and crossovers than it is for truck applications.

rkj__

Adventurer
I drove a midsize GMC Canyon for 6 years, but in October of last year, sold it and bought a full-size Sierra.

Mid-Size
-Smaller, and lighter makes it feel more fun / sporty around town. Parking is easier.
-Off road, it fits where bigger trucks do not, and gives you more breathing room on trails where big trucks just barely fit.
-Gets the job done towing. Smaller engines have to rev high to make the power they need, but the power is there.
-I had a 6ft bed, so the truck was still pretty useful for truck stuff. I did use all the space on some occasions, but never felt like it was limiting me.

Full-Size
-Around town, the truck feels big and heavy. Way overkill for a trip to the grocerey store or the mall. It works, but sometimes you may need to park a little further from the store entrance.
-Excellent long roadtrip vehicle. The improvements in driver / passenger space, and interior storage are much appreciated.
-Off road? I'm not even going to try taking this thing off road. Sure, I'll take it down rutted dirt paths, and rough access roads, but I won't be trying to follow Jeeps over obstacles. The Rebel would be a bit better off than my Sierra Elevation, but still no Wrangler killer.
-Towing is an absolute breeze. The V8 really feels like it has power to spare when towing 2-3000 lb. Tow / haul mode, with automatic grade braking is a treat in the mountains.
-Fuel economy is about the same as my old Canyon, since I had lifted it and put larger all terrain tires on it, but have left the Sierra stock with street tires.
-The bigger bed makes packing for camping trips easier, and opens up even more options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior