Ram Megacab

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I know older Super Duty's needed cab off to work on the motor. Is that still the case with '17+? I'm not too familiar with the SD line.

Ford and GM.

Pretty safe bet it's still the same. Even if you can get the heads off with the body in the way, it'll take so much longer you minus well just pull it. I think Ford and GM would be better off just building engines that don't blow up all the time. There really ain't much to service if the engine doesn't kaboom. Pretty sure you can swap the injectors without pulling the cab, that's about as deep as anyone needs to go. Injectors and valves are easy, just need to know the majik tricks for reaching the valve cover bolts on the rear right. Pulling the cabs is just to pull the heads off on the Duramax or Superduty. Used to pull the engine for stuff like that, now we pull the cab instead. It's not hard, but it is tedious.

Can be done in 30 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uygdl8KNl-M

Another thing to keep in mind, noone's going to pull that cab for free if you put a tuner on that engine.

Last edited:

mrpeepers74

I've only had my megacab for a little over a year and I don't think i'll ever be able to buy a crew cab anything. At soccer practices I sit in the backseat with my youngest, recline the seat, and watch movies with her. Folding down the back to sleep back there is a definite option as well.

I don't know what your budget is, but if you can swing it, get the 1ton with a CTD as you'll have the capacities for whatever you want to do, slide in camper, trailer, whatever. I got a 1 ton and I don't tow, pull, no slide in, but I know I can, and I like that.

The long wheel base hasn't preventing me from getting in anywhere, but I also haven't pushed it that hard because I only recently got 35's on it, and still want to do a 3" lift.

Branden

its been a tough decision, i think im going 3500 / mega with shortbed / CTD and Aisin, total overkill for my application, but resale value will be solid and I have absolute freedom for future towing, camper, toyhauler etc. Being able to fold down rear seats for bed is better than hoping I dont destroy the crew cab foldout.

Copperhead14

Observer
I love my Cummins mega cab. Just had twins in October, plenty of room for all of our stuff. I have the 2500, next time will go 3500.

bahncamperworks

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
We had an '07 2500 mega cab that we just traded in for a 3500 crew cab. The 2500 handle our camper well but at 1800lbs wet we were over the payload. The 3500 is even better but we do miss the enormous back seat. I never thought it would make that much difference but once you've had that much space it's hard to go back to less...
Definitely look at the GVWR numbers as there was a big jump in 2012, the 3500's went to over 4000lbs of payload- we'll worth it if you are thinking camper and towing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

js9234

Observer
Great decision. You won't regret it. I got a Crew Cab 3500 4x4 with a Cummins and wish I would've got the Mega but I still love the truck.

its been a tough decision, i think im going 3500 / mega with shortbed / CTD and Aisin, total overkill for my application, but resale value will be solid and I have absolute freedom for future towing, camper, toyhauler etc. Being able to fold down rear seats for bed is better than hoping I dont destroy the crew cab foldout.

p nut

butter
Ford and GM.

Pretty safe bet it's still the same. Even if you can get the heads off with the body in the way, it'll take so much longer you minus well just pull it. I think Ford and GM would be better off just building engines that don't blow up all the time. There really ain't much to service if the engine doesn't kaboom. Pretty sure you can swap the injectors without pulling the cab, that's about as deep as anyone needs to go. Injectors and valves are easy, just need to know the majik tricks for reaching the valve cover bolts on the rear right. Pulling the cabs is just to pull the heads off on the Duramax or Superduty. Used to pull the engine for stuff like that, now we pull the cab instead. It's not hard, but it is tedious.

Can be done in 30 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uygdl8KNl-M

Another thing to keep in mind, noone's going to pull that cab for free if you put a tuner on that engine.

That's some quick work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier