Ram Megacab

mrpeepers74

Hi all,

I am " " this close to building out a Ram Megacab. For anyone who has one. I know the 160" wheelbase will smooth out the ride, and it is technically a long bed. I like the idea of folding down the rear seat and camping out in the back on hunts, off road trips etc. I use a 4x4 truck to get my Jeep out further via trailer. I've been tossing around RTT's, but now with the snow up north and the potential for foul weather in hunting season, I'm thinking slide in camper.

Anyone have experience with a 2500 megacab for a camper? Am I better suited for any reason to go to a crew cab and the 149" wheel base? Aside from turning radius. I did not want a long bed truck, but I am ok with the appearance of a megacab.

My thinking is the truck gets me to point A to establish my base camp. The Jeep gets me out further without having to disconnect tent etc.

Ds4x4

Observer
Check some pics of Four Wheel Campers or main line overland has a 2500 with a FWC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

chet6.7

Explorer
Ram does not recommend the 2500 for a slide in camper,there is something about it right in the manual.Add people gear,water ect. and a tow vehicle,you are in 3500 territory,the payload on the door cannot be changed by air bags,shocks,springs or anything else.There are downsides to diesel,there are downsides to gas,factor it out and pick your poison.The Cummins puts a smile on my face,the engine is better than the truck it is in,I put up with a Ram to drive a CTD.
If I wanted a gas vehicle I would get a GM as I think their V8's are better than Ford or Ram.

Sjoyce

Ive had a 2006 ram 2500 megacab for 10 years taken all over norcal coast lassen shasta pyramid lake with a fleetwood angler cabover. No problem in fact drives way better and handles better than my buddies dually with a lance 861. I have airbags but dont need them love my mega cab 4 kids and wife perfect

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If it's a tow pig, for a Jeep, get the longest wheelbase you can. Longer is SOOOOO much easier to drive on the highway. Less wiggle, sway, whatever. Smoother ride to.

If the camper fits withing the haul weight rating, the 2500 will be fine with it. But if the rating is only 2500 pounds, you're kinda stuck. I always add airbags for camper trucks though. Even if the truck is still level.

Sadly, most long bed campers are around 3000 pounds.
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/buyers-guide/hard-side/lance-camper/

More than my 250 can handle. LOLz. My next truck will be a DRW if I go the Lance long bed camper route. So If you don't already have the truck, just make sure it's got enough bed capacity on the sticker to carry whatever type of camper you're after.

It's also customary for us to haul slide in campers with almost no water. We fill up at a campground if we're there all weekend. Just one of the major downsides to hauling a slide in camper vs. a TT. Fully loaded we're often way over 4500 pounds! The key, is being weight smart.

Last edited:

gunpainter

Observer
I've only had my megacab for a little over a year and I don't think i'll ever be able to buy a crew cab anything. At soccer practices I sit in the backseat with my youngest, recline the seat, and watch movies with her. Folding down the back to sleep back there is a definite option as well.

I don't know what your budget is, but if you can swing it, get the 1ton with a CTD as you'll have the capacities for whatever you want to do, slide in camper, trailer, whatever. I got a 1 ton and I don't tow, pull, no slide in, but I know I can, and I like that.

The long wheel base hasn't preventing me from getting in anywhere, but I also haven't pushed it that hard because I only recently got 35's on it, and still want to do a 3" lift.

Branden

p nut

butter
I like the recline feature of the Megacab. Lots of room back there. Looking at the specs, the new Ford SuperDuty's (and F150's) interior specs are about the same. Just something to consider. :)

gunpainter

Observer
I like the recline feature of the Megacab. Lots of room back there. Looking at the specs, the new Ford SuperDuty's (and F150's) interior specs are about the same. Just something to consider. :)

Interesting, I tried to find the measurements but was unable to. Pics do look like there's just as much foot room, but the back seats don't recline. Also don't have to lift the body off the frame to work on the motor.

Branden

p nut

butter
Here's what I found. The figures for Ford is off of their own website. Ram's is off of Edmunds (that's what popped up on the Google search):

Interior (inches) F150 Ram MegaCab
HR - Front 40.8 41
HR - Rear 40.4 40.3
HipR - Front 62.5 63.2
HipR - Rear 64.7 63.2
LR - Front 43.9 41
LR - Rear 43.6 43.3
SR - Front 66.7 66
SR - Rear 65.9 65.7

Kind of jumbled up, but you can see the figures aren't too far off.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Here's what I found. The figures for Ford is off of their own website. Ram's is off of Edmunds (that's what popped up on the Google search):

Interior (inches) F150 Ram MegaCab
HR - Front 40.8 41
HR - Rear 40.4 40.3
HipR - Front 62.5 63.2
HipR - Rear 64.7 63.2
LR - Front 43.9 41
LR - Rear 43.6 43.3
SR - Front 66.7 66
SR - Rear 65.9 65.7

Kind of jumbled up, but you can see the figures aren't too far off.

The extra 2" of leg room in the Ford is not to be underestimated. Our work trucks are regular cabs, can't move the seats back as far. I even remove the rubber pad on the brake pedal to get an extra 1/4" of room over the brake! (less leg cramping in traffic) I think it's actually only a single extra inch in the regular cabs. Priceless.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne