Ram 5500 vs Ford F550

D

Deleted member 9101

Don't want to turn this into a diesel vs gas argument thread but....Again, post facts please. Diesels have extra expenses. Even the fuel is more money. Just the price of admission is thousands of dollars more. An then def. An then filters. Fuel conditioners. 15 quarts of oil on some of them, per change. An then add in the fact that they are pretty complicated now so good luck finding a shade tree mechanic and some need to lift the entire cab off to even work on it! Yes diesels are drama and extra expense. Fact.

My agency did a cost benefit analysis on gas vs diesel (3/4 ton trucks & F450 and Ram 4500). We used data from other agencies and national fleets. There was not one scenario where the diesel came out on top economically.

While they offer more power and better pulling performance, the cost is drastically more per mile and repairs are obnoxious.

D

Deleted member 9101

He’s a ford fanboy and will praise anything they produce.

Awwee...thats so cute... The guy that gets down on his knees and swallows everything that Toyota gives him calls me a "fan boy."

Funny though... You call me a "Ford fan boy" yet out of the 4 vehicles I own, only one is a Ford. Looks like you are dumb and rude... I'm sure your parents are proud.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Awwee...thats so cute... The guy that gets down on his knees and swallows everything that Toyota gives him calls me a "fan boy."

Funny though... You call me a "Ford fan boy" yet out of the 4 vehicles I own, only one is a Ford. Looks like you are dumb and rude... I'm sure your parents are proud.

Explorerinil

Observer
Someone always with this comment. I know a ton of people with late model diesels as well as myself with the Cummins I just traded with 100k miles. No drama. No extra expense. Just tons of power, great mileage, and 15k mile oil and fuel filter changes.
Yeah I read that crap all the time also, 55k on my truck been to the dealer once for a water pump recall. On the previous 6 ram trucks I’ve owned, no major problems and never a problem with the cummins.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Don't want to turn this into a diesel vs gas argument thread but....Again, post facts please. Diesels have extra expenses. Even the fuel is more money. Just the price of admission is thousands of dollars more. An then def. An then filters. Fuel conditioners. 15 quarts of oil on some of them, per change. An then add in the fact that they are pretty complicated now so good luck finding a shade tree mechanic and some need to lift the entire cab off to even work on it! Yes diesels are drama and extra expense. Fact.

I traded my 2014 Cummins two weeks ago. I got every dollar of my original Cummins purchase back. Def is $14 every few thousand miles. My oil changes were 1/3 as often as a gas truck at every 15k. And who in the hell takes a $70k truck to a “shade tree mechanic” whatever that is?! Any mechanic I would use can work on everything from a 1970 CJ to a 2020 Porsche.

Lots of noise from someone with no real diesel experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Why people think that this new gasoline 7.3l v8 is going to offer anything that the existing gasoline v8's don't already offer is beyond me. It will likely have decent torque and suck down fuel at the rapid rate...just like all the other gasoline v8's being offered.
It is strange isn't it, some people think that ford finally pulls their head out and designs a pushrod engine and calls it "all new" that it is going to magically break the physics barrier and get mileage so far unheard of all while making world shattering power getting this magic mileage??
It's a 7.3 liter gasser, without variable displacement or variable valve timing it isn't going to get much better mileage than previous designs, the key features that will help it get better mileage is the much better transmissions and much lighter overall truck designs it will have, still not going to be as earth shattering as people think but they put so much hope in their brand that they can't see the truth smacking them in the mouth.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I traded my 2014 Cummins two weeks ago. I got every dollar of my original Cummins purchase back. Def is $14 every few thousand miles. My oil changes were 1/3 as often as a gas truck at every 15k. And who in the hell takes a $70k truck to a “shade tree mechanic” whatever that is?! Any mechanic I would use can work on everything from a 1970 CJ to a 2020 Porsche.

Lots of noise from someone with no real diesel experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know my experience? Hilarious.....Sorry I ruffled your feathers. Again, diesel is more drama and expense. Fact.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
You know my experience? Hilarious.....Sorry I ruffled your feathers. Again, diesel is more drama and expense. Fact.

Not fact. See how easy that was. No feathers ruffled here. I love my 2019 Cummins when I'm pulling my 5th wheel across the country just like I loved my 2014. The only drama is when those guys with gas engines won't get out of the left hand lane going up the passes...

2015 Cummins had the same water pump recall and a couple issues with the def sensor making it go into limp mode.

Nother engine related issues. 100k and have t even needed to change brake pads. It's 3500 dually all the bells and whistles. Goes like a frieght train.

If I were limited to only one vehicle it would be a ram 2500 short bed. You can nock of the diesel premium by buying and one year old unit.

They hold there value ten times a gas truck. That's the true measure of what the world collectively thinks of a Diesel vs a gas.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
2015 Cummins had the same water pump recall and a couple issues with the def sensor making it go into limp mode.

Nother engine related issues. 100k and have t even needed to change brake pads. It's 3500 dually all the bells and whistles. Goes like a frieght train.

If I were limited to only one vehicle it would be a ram 2500 short bed. You can nock of the diesel premium by buying and one year old unit.

They hold there value ten times a gas truck. That's the true measure of what the world collectively thinks of a Diesel vs a gas.

Good point! Thanks

Wilbah

Adventurer
My agency did a cost benefit analysis on gas vs diesel (3/4 ton trucks & F450 and Ram 4500). We used data from other agencies and national fleets. There was not one scenario where the diesel came out on top economically.

While they offer more power and better pulling performance, the cost is drastically more per mile and repairs are obnoxious.

Is that a study you can share or point to it online? I am very curious about it. Years ago I did a study with a friend and given the differential in fuel cost versus the mileage difference I estimated it would require he drive it at least 100K miles to break even. I redid it a year or so ago and the gap was 150k to 200k but much depended on repairs. He has a Dodge 2500 workman. I do know he gets 20+ mpg fully loaded going on our fishing trips (hand and computer calculated). But he has had some scary cost repairs too (fortunately most Ram covered under warranty).

But if I were buying a truck that would routinely carry a heavy load I would be looking at diesel over gas. And maybe it would be a break even cost wise (or even with a gasser slightly ahead), the extra power of the diesel would be a plus. I have been "that guy" in the left hand lane who thought I could pass but the hill proved more than my gasser could deliver and I'm trying to get back over. It's no fun.

I do like the idea of buying 1 year old or something vehicles to get that big depreciation hit out of the way. That would change the financial analysis a lot.

Depends on where you live, as well. I live out west in the mountains and diesel is considerably cheaper than gas (0.30/gal cheaper right now). As mentioned, the diesel will hold its value much much better. I own both gas and diesel trucks and use them for work as well as recreation. There are pros and cons to both, but I definitely like a lot of things about diesel engines for larger trucks. How many gas engines do you see in big rigs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94