Ram 5500 vs Ford F550

Explorerinil

Observer
If your towing and hauling allot it’s hard to beat a diesel, if your not, just get a gasser. I’m not pulling as much anymore and not considering a large camper anymore so I’m debating on a power wagon next, but who knows, after 19 years of driving diesels I don’t know if I could stand a gas truck now.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
A lot of the knocks against diesel are money based.

I’m going to be honest. The difference in price didn’t even come into the conversation for me. The diesel did what I wanted it to do better than the gas engine. I could afford it. So I bought it. End of story.

There is no argument that the diesel gets better mileage both empty and with a load leading to significantly larger range which is the real issue. Aux tanks are available for diesel trucks but are not for gas. Diesel trucks simply tow better. That’s enough for me. A few hundred dollars or so a year more simply isn’t an issue. If it is, choose a cheaper hobby than traveling via truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riversdad

What every one is failing to mention is diesel trucks are just more fun to drive in a heavy truck. I've had mine for 15 years and it's been so much better compared to my past gas engines. The power is just available exactly where you need it in a truck, no down shifting, no losing speed on hills and I barely notice my trailer, which is always attached to my truck. I really want a power wagon but don't know if I'll be able to go back to a gas engine in a hd truck.

tacollie

Glamper
Diesels cost more to buy and drive. That's a fact. Turns out nice things cost money. OP is going to have a heavy truck and should probably go diesel. I'm cheap so I always go for gas. The Ford 6.2 and the Ram 6.4 perform amazing. I don't mind the transmission shifting down on passes. I never understood why that bothers people.

Dalko43

Explorer
Is that a study you can share or point to it online? I am very curious about it. Years ago I did a study with a friend and given the differential in fuel cost versus the mileage difference I estimated it would require he drive it at least 100K miles to break even. I redid it a year or so ago and the gap was 150k to 200k but much depended on repairs. He has a Dodge 2500 workman. I do know he gets 20+ mpg fully loaded going on our fishing trips (hand and computer calculated). But he has had some scary cost repairs too (fortunately most Ram covered under warranty).

But if I were buying a truck that would routinely carry a heavy load I would be looking at diesel over gas. And maybe it would be a break even cost wise (or even with a gasser slightly ahead), the extra power of the diesel would be a plus. I have been "that guy" in the left hand lane who thought I could pass but the hill proved more than my gasser could deliver and I'm trying to get back over. It's no fun.

I do like the idea of buying 1 year old or something vehicles to get that big depreciation hit out of the way. That would change the financial analysis a lot.

I really wouldn't put much stock in anything that fellow says....if you take but 10-15 minutes and crank the numbers out on excel, you can easily show certain scenarios where diesel starts to make economic sense. The cost difference attributed to DEF, more oil to change, ect. is minimal in the long term...the difference in fuel savings and resale value can be much more substantial....if you own the vehicle for a long enough period.

Use case obviously plays a heavy role in all of this: if you simply use your truck to drive to work everyday, yeah diesel really doesn't provide much benefit. If you're hauling/towing on long trips (which seems very relevant to overlanding), then diesel makes a bit more sense.

What every one is failing to mention is diesel trucks are just more fun to drive in a heavy truck. I've had mine for 15 years and it's been so much better compared to my past gas engines. The power is just available exactly where you need it in a truck, no down shifting, no losing speed on hills and I barely notice my trailer, which is always attached to my truck. I really want a power wagon but don't know if I'll be able to go back to a gas engine in a hd truck.

^This. The low-end torque is very enjoyable and relevant for some people. And yes you can get similar (though not the same) low-end torque with gasoline engines, but you'll see degraded fuel economy if you're truly making use of it.

I guess we are so focused on the diesel point we lost sight that the OP started this thread on 5500 or 550 trucks. If your shopping these trucks you better be towing or carry a heavy load which supports the diesel argument. The only advantage if you don't need the load capacity is they have a better turn radius. I don't really know why the heavy duty front axel's turn sharper than a one ton but if your going with a gasser you should be shopping a 3500 or 350. That's what Ford did with the F450, took a 350 and put a heavy duty front axel under it. Not sure why other brands haven't copied them but they sure complain about the 450.

That could be an option for the OP as well.

lucilius

From Darwin "Major engine work on the Ford requires removal of the cab. If you have a cab over then the cab can't be removed which means increased labor rates. Pop the hood of the two motors and decide which one you would rather work on if you had to.

Ford used the Bosh Cp4 injection pump, it has a less than stellar reputation. Unfortunately Ram in 2019 went with the CP4 also, these pumps are more sensitive to fuel, less of an issue if you plan on staying north of the border, but in my mind not a pump I would put a lot of faith in. Also, when they go, they require a cab off repair (on the Ford) and over 10K$$ in repairs because the metal shards take out the entire injector and fuel system."

Respectfully, it is a myth that cab removal is mandatory for engine work on Ford 550. Any engine work can be completed without the cab being removed to include full engine swap. However, it can be a lot easier/quicker for your mechanic if he can remove the cab. I wouldn't let that factor carry too much weight if I were comparing the 550 and 5500.
I won't enter the 5500 cummins vs 550 powerstroke reliability debate: both companies make good motors which any owner, given money, inclination and maintenance effort can turn into a long-lasting, top performer (I own both cummins and Ford diesel trucks and like them both). Both will easily carry pretty much any camper box or trailer you can come up with. It's also easy, if expensive, to find 550/5500 parts and maintenance for travel throughout North America. For the third world, I would look for a simpler diesel solution than 6.7 from either company.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Also if you have a huge ego and a ginormous swollen head, you know the type of person that knows it all, you need to factor that into your payload equation. This situation could easily put you in the need for diesel capabilities.

Last edited:

gtbensley

Explorer
I would love a diesel....expense is one thing but the biggest reason I do not have one is because they do have more issues with reliability now (we can argue this all day but they do). Having said that, I dont think you can go wrong with a 5500 or F550 and both would be great vehicles. I would drive both and see which one you like better and go from there. Both have proven to be good trucks from my limited experience with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier