Ram 3500 with 6.4L Hemi or not?

NorCalHawk

Explorer
I am in the market for a new truck to carry my FWC Hawk in. My camper stays on my vehicle 24/7 and the true weight with gear, two adults, food, water, gas, etc., etc. is around the 2000-2200#plus area. I don't want to be one who lands on the borderline of rated payload. I would prefer having room to add weight should I need to. So, I am looking at a new Ram 2500, auto, CC, 4x4 with the 6.4L (payload ~3000#) or the Ram 3500 with either the 6.4L or CTD (payload ~3900-4000# payload). The Ram 2500 CTD has a ~2300#+ payload, so I'm not considering this option...

My question is: Should I even consider the 6.4L Hemi in a 3500, is the 3500 too heavy for this engine? Would MPG be considerably less in a 3500/hemi vs. 2500/hemi? Is the 66RFE auto tranny capable in a 3500?

Any info will be helpful, MPG, maintenance issues, transmission (66RFE with Hemi and 68RFE/Aisin with CTD) capabilities, Etc., etc.

Thank you in advance.

I just bought a 2016 Ram 2500 CC short bed 4x4 4.10's 6.4 Hemi. I carry an extra 500lbs in the bed 24/7 which I can't imagine weighs less then an unloaded 3500. I also run 295/70 R18 tires which are about 34.5 inches tall. There is plenty of power in any situation, in fact I usually have to watch my speed on the highway it likes to creep up past 80. I think as long as you get the 4.10's you should be alright with the camper on there and as far as MPG goes its not great(10-11 in town 15 highway) but you aren't going to get any better with any 3/4 ton or 1 ton gasser.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
When comparing the 3500 to the 2500 it's not that much of a different truck. Leafs vs. Coils a few other minor differences. I would get the 6.4
The Cummins is overkill unless you plan on pulling over 10k IMO.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I suggest you measure your tires !

I just bought a 2016 Ram 2500 CC short bed 4x4 4.10's 6.4 Hemi. I carry an extra 500lbs in the bed 24/7 which I can't imagine weighs less then an unloaded 3500. I also run 295/70 R18 tires which are about 34.5 inches tall. There is plenty of power in any situation, in fact I usually have to watch my speed on the highway it likes to creep up past 80. I think as long as you get the 4.10's you should be alright with the camper on there and as far as MPG goes its not great(10-11 in town 15 highway) but you aren't going to get any better with any 3/4 ton or 1 ton gasser.

They're closer to 32-3/4" on your RAM-

Whatever

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

RoyJ

Adventurer
I would recommend the 6.4 as well. It's a very capable engine based on owner reports, and you're well within its capacity. Many owners have towed 10k+ lbs 5th wheels with them and get near diesel mpg (10 - 11 mpg).

By going with a 6.4 2500, you'll end up with a lighter rig, and coil suspension, all elements that will enhance off road performance (I assume you'll be hitting dirt roads?). If you later get a heavy front bumper and large winch, you'll still be below the front axle weight of a stock Cummins.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
A gas engine doesn't belong in an HD chassis no matter how much a dealer lies about it, the diesel will tow better, get better mpg, and better resale value. It's a no brainer.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
A gas engine doesn't belong in an HD chassis no matter how much a dealer lies about it, the diesel will tow better, get better mpg, and better resale value. It's a no brainer.
I own 2014 Rams. 1 is a diesel and 1 is the 5.7 hemi. The gas motor is perfect unless your towing over 10k IMO.

NorCalHawk

Explorer
I will not be towing, only hauling a 2200# FWCamper/payload full time, 24/7. I know the CTD is also a good motor. I'll use this vehicle 90% on road trips/camping, ~10-12,000 miles/year.

Yes, I roam backcountry dirt/semi 4x4 roads a lot, but I drive on pavement to get there. Your thoughts on the 66RFE Auto??

chet6.7

Explorer
Does Ram recommend the 2500 for use with a slide in camper? As I remember it,they do not.
The 3500 with rear leaf springs is recommend for a slide in.

In a gasser,selecting the higher geared diff. ratios give you a higher payload capacity,"This truck could have had 700 pounds of additional payload just by opting for the 4.10 rear axle ratio. Theoretically, the 4.10 would give this truck a staggering 6,551 pounds of payload"http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-debuts-2014-ram-3500
If you go with a CTD I think you can only get a 3.42 geared diff.,unless you go with a DRW,or maybe a chassis cab.
Have you driven both the 6.4 and the CTD?
I really like the exhaust brake of the CTD when going down Sexton summit and Siskiyou summit.
If you select the CTD option you get the 68RFE trans.,or you can get the optional heavy duty Asin trans.,a manual G56 trans. is also available.

Are you going to add an extra fuel tank? Is that possible? I think with a chassis cab you can get an extra mid ship tank.I think the chassis cab also gets a heavier duty transmission in gas models.I haven't checked out chassis cabs,so check it out more thoroughly if you are interested in that.
If you don't know,the Ram site allows you to build a vehicle,it is a good way to see what options are available.

AFSOC

Explorer
The gas vs diesel dilemma is a tough question because the answer isn't universal. In the past, when gassers were anemic and diesel was cheap, the added initial expense and lifecycle maintenance costs of diesel were acceptable compromises. Now that economy, longevity and power output of gas engines have evolved so much and diesel fuel is more expensive than gasoline, the answer isn't so clear. It gets down to how you use the truck. If you tow (heavy) diesels hold an advantage, if you are looking for higher comparable payload, gas gets the nod. If you don't plan to work your truck hard all the time, it may surprise you how much more economic gasoline truck ownership is. I am an acknowledged diesel engine fan (and former mechanic) and when I contemplated this question last year before buying my 2500HD, I was shocked that under the circumstances of how I use my truck, I project to save thousands of dollars over the expected ownership duration of my gasoline 2500HD. Resale value of diesels is higher, but so is the initial cost so that factor sort of cancelled for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior