RAM 3500 MegaCab Cummins/Aisin AEV XL on 40"s with iKAMPER RTT

Explorerinil

Observer
Y
I went with a 3500 because I wanted as much payload capacity as possible, leaf springs (instead of coils), and most importantly the Aisin transmission. The diesel/2500 are already so heavy that payload is limited. I wanted to keep the future option of a hard side camper, I’m really eyeing the Cirrus 720 with a custom paint job/wrap.
You can’t beat the cummins/Aisin combo, that’s the same reason I went with the 3500. What do you have for plans next?

CTDJeeperman

Any updates?

I’m doing all 5 UT National Parks in Nov, including a 4 day White Rim Trip.

I think I’m going to add leather and heated seats. Any recommended vendors?

I’m seriously contemplating selling the rack and iKamper (with all the add ons) and get the 4WC Project M. I love the iKamper but would like something I can build out myself and stand up in. My son is getting bigger and I need a bit more room.

blackdmax15

Observer
Any more word on project M? I was talking to FWC the other day and they made it seem that project M was replacing the shell model. But I hadn’t seen it beforehand the talk so I didn’t know to ask them the questions I now have.

chet6.7

Explorer
Any more word on project M? I was talking to FWC the other day and they made it seem that project M was replacing the shell model. But I hadn’t seen it beforehand the talk so I didn’t know to ask them the questions I now have.
There is another thread,if you haven't seen it.

Adventurous

Explorer
I’m doing all 5 UT National Parks in Nov, including a 4 day White Rim Trip.

I think I’m going to add leather and heated seats. Any recommended vendors?

I’m seriously contemplating selling the rack and iKamper (with all the add ons) and get the 4WC Project M. I love the iKamper but would like something I can build out myself and stand up in. My son is getting bigger and I need a bit more room.

Katzkin for the leather seats. Fully customizable too should you choose to want something a little different. Just move quickly if so, I think they have a materials related $100 increase set to hit in a week.

CTDJeeperman

I spoke with Stan at 4WC on Saturday. I think starting MSRP was just under $9K. Their instagram page has a list of standard/optional features. Weight was 400-500 lbs. Build time @ 13-14 weeks. I think these Project M campers are going to be a pretty big hit. I already have a heater, stove/grill, fridge, sink, etc... so I'd rather buy a camper without all that stuff that I can remove if I need to haul stuff in the bed. Stan made no mention of replacing the Shell. There still seems to be a good market for a shell (which I almost bought), but I happen to like the Project M more for my application.

Tx9812valve

Great pics. How long did yall take to run White Rim? We just did it a couple weeks ago in our Tacoma. We got a late start so we ran counter clockwise to get to our camp at Hardscrabble. Unfortunately all the other camp spots for the next night had been booked which meant we did 70 miles the next day to finish the trail. It felt entirely too rushed for being in such a beautiful place.

Love your build btw.

20191107_151058.jpg

CTDJeeperman

Great pics. How long did yall take to run White Rim? We just did it a couple weeks ago in our Tacoma. We got a late start so we ran counter clockwise to get to our camp at Hardscrabble. Unfortunately all the other camp spots for the next night had been booked which meant we did 70 miles the next day to finish the trail. It felt entirely too rushed for being in such a beautiful place.

Love your build btw.

View attachment 553244

Nice Taco. Each time I've done White Rim Trail I did it in 3 days / 2 nights. I think ideally I'd do 4/3 with evenly spaced campgrounds. 1 or 2 days is just too much of a rush for me. I like to stop for side hikes and non-rushed picture times. I think the best way to do it is spend the night prior in Moab so you can enjoy downtown and get prepped at a nice easy pace. I usually do a quick hike in Arches prior to starting in Canyonlands / WRT.

Tx9812valve

Nice Taco. Each time I've done White Rim Trail I did it in 3 days / 2 nights. I think ideally I'd do 4/3 with evenly spaced campgrounds. 1 or 2 days is just too much of a rush for me. I like to stop for side hikes and non-rushed picture times. I think the best way to do it is spend the night prior in Moab so you can enjoy downtown and get prepped at a nice easy pace. I usually do a quick hike in Arches prior to starting in Canyonlands / WRT.
Totally agree with your logic, next time we're planning a minimum of 2 nights of camping, evenly spaced if possible so that we can see all of the cool stuff we had to fly by this time around.
Along with accomodating friends schedules, we made the mistake of trying to fit to much in to our trip and ran Top of the World late the afternoon prior. That led to not getting off the trail until well after dark (which I don't recommend), so all the prep was left to the next morning. Live and learn.
We've spent a good bit of time in and around Moab but this was our first time in Canyon Lands. Will not be the last.

bouncer

I designed my rack with extra slide out supports for the fold out section of the floor because I don’t like trusting all that weight to the ladder (this is common to all fold out RTTs).

CTDJeeperman, i am currently going deep on your build reading everything here in your buildthread since your truck is for sale - so if you would not mind would you care to elaborate on the extra slide out supports at your convenience ? even some simple pics would be cool - you don't have to upload CAD files or anything ;-)

thanks !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94