Ram 3500 High Output Cummins Build on 37's

GPurcell01

I thought the Airstream in the background looked familiar, I was following your build over on AirForums. I'm sorry it's been a rough few months for you... you did some great work on that trailer. The combination of that frame and those torsion axles was brilliant.

Thanks I appreciate the kind words! It is what it is and it all works out in the end. That's what I believe anyways.

Whoever buys the Airstream is getting a very good base to work with... Hell even if it's someone who just needs a beefy ass trailer frame. Easy to remove the shell and floor

Utah Mountains

Thanks I appreciate the kind words! It is what it is and it all works out in the end. That's what I believe anyways.

Whoever buys the Airstream is getting a very good base to work with... Hell even if it's someone who just needs a beefy ass trailer frame. Easy to remove the shell and floor

Agreed! And while it seems like you learned a ton from doing it, this Ram should get you out and doing stuff. Seems like a win to me.

GPurcell01

Did you hard wire it? Is there a harness for our trucks?

The camera itself comes with a hardwire kit that I will be using with fuse taps (no splicing of wires) which I know will work for our trucks. I tried installing today with an OBDII plug-in kit they sell but it doesn't work so I am returning that. I need to go get the taps and then will finish the install.

GPurcell01

Suspension should be shipping end of this week or beginning of next. I had to change my order from the Fox RR's to IFP's. Fox dropped the ball on when they said they would be ready and I do not want to wait another 4-5 weeks with no guarantee.

ripperj

Explorer
I wish I kept the stock exhaust on my Hemi. I put a flow master FX that was supposed to be slightly louder than stock with a nice growl at idle….I hate it on the highway with a camper or trailer, serious drone at 2000rpm, I threw another $100 on a resonator (glass pack) which made it ok with no load , but still loud with the camper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CFMGarage

Carli may have fixed the coating by now, but my mini-packs are completely covered in surface rust after about 18 months on the truck. You may want to spray those with a another protective coating of your choice before install.

GPurcell01

Carli may have fixed the coating by now, but my mini-packs are completely covered in surface rust after about 18 months on the truck. You may want to spray those with a another protective coating of your choice before install.

Thanks for the heads up. Other than the coating, are you happy with the difference in ride and height?

CFMGarage

Thanks for the heads up. Other than the coating, are you happy with the difference in ride and height?

For comparison, I have a Crew Cab 6.7 with the full Carli Backcountry kit and, on 37x12.50r18s Ridge Grapplers, the truck sits ever so slightly nose down fully unloaded. I've added airbags with daystar cradles and everything works together well. The small lift in the rear compliments the extra spacing for the cradles. I also have a camper shell, spare, and aux tank in the bed (~20psi in the bags). The more you load it up the better it rides. Even unloaded it removed a very noticeable harsh jar/bounce/kidney stab from the rear when the truck was stock. A combination of the add-a-packs, shocks, and tires I'm sure. Overall the truck rides a lot better than stock.

I would also recommend a steering brace if that is not already on your list. Make sure it's compatible with your front lift though. Synergy works with the Carli stuff, not sure about Thuren.

My next steps will be to add traction bars to the mix. The airbag companies do not speak to the traction bar companies though, so mounting both might require a custom bracket. If I did it again I would have added traction bars first. I want to get the wheel hop under control.

I would agree to wait until you have the truck loaded like you expect it will be before you decide on gears. I will be adding 3.73 gears, but I have a G56 truck and I need to get the 6th gear RPM back. The Aisin may handle it differently.

GPurcell01

For comparison, I have a Crew Cab 6.7 with the full Carli Backcountry kit and, on 37x12.50r18s Ridge Grapplers, the truck sits ever so slightly nose down fully unloaded. I've added airbags with daystar cradles and everything works together well. The small lift in the rear compliments the extra spacing for the cradles. I also have a camper shell, spare, and aux tank in the bed (~20psi in the bags). The more you load it up the better it rides. Even unloaded it removed a very noticeable harsh jar/bounce/kidney stab from the rear when the truck was stock. A combination of the add-a-packs, shocks, and tires I'm sure. Overall the truck rides a lot better than stock.

I would also recommend a steering brace if that is not already on your list. Make sure it's compatible with your front lift though. Synergy works with the Carli stuff, not sure about Thuren.

My next steps will be to add traction bars to the mix. The airbag companies do not speak to the traction bar companies though, so mounting both might require a custom bracket. If I did it again I would have added traction bars first. I want to get the wheel hop under control.

I would agree to wait until you have the truck loaded like you expect it will be before you decide on gears. I will be adding 3.73 gears, but I have a G56 truck and I need to get the 6th gear RPM back. The Aisin may handle it differently.

Awesome. This is all very good info and exactly what I was looking for. So far with the Aisin and 3.73's the truck drives beautifully. With the G56 I'm sure a lower gear will be much appreciated.

I plan on going full Synergy for steering. Tie rod, drag link, steering box brace, ect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles