Ram 3500 High Output Cummins Build on 37's

GPurcell01

Wanting to start this build now that I have a good amount of parts ordered for the truck. Three weeks ago I picked up this 2021 Ram 3500 crew cab short bed. It's a Laramie Sport 4x4. I've wanted a truck like this since I was 16. Anyways here are some pics.

PXL_20210914_144939062.jpg
PXL_20210914_145003227.jpg
PXL_20210914_145046134.jpg

My plans for this build is to have a truck to somewhat live full-time on the road and still have a space to work out of as well.

Parts already on order:
  • Thuren sway bar
  • Carli add-a-leaf
  • Goose Gear rear seat delete for my dog and added storage
Next on the list is putting in a deposit for an AT Overland topper. Still trying to decide which model to go with, but will be doing that soon.

Wheel/Tire choice is still up in the air too.

Last edited:

GPurcell01

Had to cancel my order of Synergy parts... they're also backordered and have no ETA on availability. Time to keep shopping.

Last edited:

GPurcell01

Nice truck! Good choice going 3500 instead of 2500. How do you like the HO motor and Aisin?

Thanks! Yes the 3800lbs of payload is going to be super handy. I absolutely love the HO and Aisin. You can definitely tell it's a medium duty transmission but very nice characteristics in my opinion. The amount of power is just stupid lol.

GPurcell01

Ordered 17x9 CJC edition Method 702 HD wheels since the suspension kit I want to run is backordered. They have a 4500lb load rating and the perfect offset to fit 37" tires. I'll run stock suspension plus the Thuren sway bar until stuff becomes more available.

GPurcell01

37x13.5r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers ordered to complement the wheels. I know you guys probably know this but availability of stuff right now is awful...

tienckb

Adventurer
Ordered 17x9 CJC edition Method 702 HD wheels since the suspension kit I want to run is backordered. They have a 4500lb load rating and the perfect offset to fit 37" tires. I'll run stock suspension plus the Thuren sway bar until stuff becomes more available.

What are you thinking for suspension?

I got me the Carli pintop leveling kit with Kings for my 3500 and the torsion sway bar.

Just haven’t installed yet.

Following your build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GPurcell01

What are you thinking for suspension?

I got me the Carli pintop leveling kit with Kings for my 3500 and the torsion sway bar.

Just haven’t installed yet.

Following your build.

Let me know how that Carli kit rides. I was originally going to run a Synergy kit first then upgrade but now I will probably wait and go with either Thuren or Carli when I have the proper cash.

tienckb

Adventurer
I am patiently waiting for someone to make gears for our axles then I will install the lift and go with 37 to 38’s.

I tow a heavy toy hauler regularly and going to 37’s san gearing is no bueno even though we got more than 1k lb. ft. Torque.

I traverse long grades towing.

GPurcell01

I am patiently waiting for someone to make gears for our axles then I will install the lift and go with 37 to 38’s.

I tow a heavy toy hauler regularly and going to 37’s san gearing is no bueno even though we got more than 1k lb. ft. Torque.

I traverse long grades towing.

I was originally worried about this as well until I actually got the truck and started driving around with the 3.73's. I think we should be ok considering Ram used to run 3.42 gears and the Aisin has such low 1st and 2nd gears. That being said, I do not tow like you do however.

You may be waiting a long time before there are aftermarket gears for this new axle. Have you looked into using the 4.10's out of a dually? That way it'd be OEM as well.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have 3.73's in mine with 37's, absolutely no issues with towing. I wouldn't bother with gears unless you're going bigger than 37's and then why are you trying to tow heavy with that setup at that point?!

@GPurcell01, go with a Thuren or Carli kit/components from the get go and be done with it. The parts are out there and currently available with authorized dealers.

GPurcell01

Some parts started showing up!

PXL_20210920_211025672.jpg

Installing the Thuren sway bar took less than an hour. Thuren makes some high quality pieces.

PXL_20210920_212048250.jpg

PXL_20210920_221851633.jpg

First impressions - all I can say is wow. I'm shocked at how much just a sway bar changed the ride. Totally smoothed out the front and no longer whip your head back and forth on off camber drives. I am truly amazed at the difference it made with the stock suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles