Ram 3500 High Output Cummins Build on 37's

GPurcell01

I bet you did alright even though it looks like it needs a ton of work. I’ve looked at used o e for years, they hold their value.

Very much so... It looked worse than it is thanks to the dirt from being in the barn. We did most of the big work on it already. It was very close to start building out the interior.

GPurcell01

I pulled a rookie move - after I got my first alignment after the leveling kit - the shop didn't give me a handout. Just went off of what they told me and that they got the toe correct to what I specified per Thuren specs. My right front tire started wearing faster than the rest and it was *barely* squirly on the highway. Still drove great though.

Took it to a different shop, and sure as ****, my toe was way off even for stock specs. Much better now.

With all of that being said, I ordered the Synergy steering brace. More so as preventative maintenance on the steering box. Will see if it works with the Thuren sway bar.

Further solidifies why I like doing all of my own work...

GPurcell01

Alright time to figure out if this will work with the Thuren sway bar. I'm excited to see how much it'll tighten up the steering.

PXL_20211104_174351925.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I ordered the DOR version which doesn't brace the frame rails like the one above after complaints of the brace just twisting the frame. I need to get around to installing it.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Instead of spreading the deflection of the load to the steering brace the brace itself in turn pushes on the frame which can be an issue if already tweaked or older. It's more of an issue on an older truck that already has a flexed frame. I decided to try the Dodge Off-Road version that doesn't use the frame to brace itself. Either way, these RAM's need help in this department so something is better than nothing.

UglyViking

Instead of spreading the deflection of the load to the steering brace the brace itself in turn pushes on the frame which can be an issue if already tweaked or older. It's more of an issue on an older truck that already has a flexed frame. I decided to try the Dodge Off-Road version that doesn't use the frame to brace itself. Either way, these RAM's need help in this department so something is better than nothing.
I like the DOR design, but I've gotta say it seems odd that the other design could actually warp the frame. The biggest thing I wonder about the DOR is how it affects the sway bar, seems like it bolts under the sway bar on the one side, but I don't see a spacer for the other, so the sway bar would be always canted then, which doesn't seem great.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I don't mean to assume that it will force flex in the frame but it will exaggerate that which is already there and in turn impact the steering box further.

Last edited:

GPurcell01

We'll see what happens as it's on the truck now. Tightened up the steering quite a bit... slightly heavier too which I like. Runs great down the highway. It seems to really make a difference there.

Also - make sure to get the right size socket for the pitman arm nut... this is what I get for going too stupid and using an adjustable wrench and a chain link fence post as a breaker bar.

Cut her down to the bone... I don't think anyone wants to see pictures of that...

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
We'll see what happens as it's on the truck now. Tightened up the steering quite a bit... slightly heavier too which I like. Runs great down the highway. It seems to really make a difference there.

Also - make sure to get the right size socket for the pitman arm nut... this is what I get for going too stupid and using an adjustable wrench and a chain link fence post as a breaker bar.

Cut her down to the bone... I don't think anyone wants to see pictures of that...

View attachment 691176

Let us know how it goes in the coming months and sorry about the hand.

GPurcell01

So far so good with the steering brace. I finally got my hands on some synthetic gray grease with moly and lubed up the bearing good. Also re-greased all of the Thuren joints to get out the heavy equipment green grease that was in there. That stuff works good on our farm equipment but I could hear the sway bar making noise. All good now.

B3ceWZf.jpg

In other news, took it out for a drive to the lake. Still playing the waiting game on a bunch of stuff.

PXL_20211114_193342539.jpg

GPurcell01

All of the billet goodness. Very impressed with this piece considering it costs less than half of what everybody else is charging. Trying to get the motor to breathe even better and also taking care of the nut that likes to fall off the back of the grid heater. I will be keeping a heating element though - more to come on that later.

PXL_20211201_172946625.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior