Ram 3500 dual band ICOM 208H install

FAW3

Adventurer
Recently changed vehicles and got around to reinstalling my 2m/70cm radio. I liked my set up in my old Tacoma and mirrored the same installation in my new to me Ram truck. This is a pretty simplistic set up that I think works very well in a modern vehicle if you don't want to drill holes and be hard mounting items to the dash or center console.

The radio is a ICOM 208H that I've had for a few years. Notable features include the removable control head, a full featured mike, easy NOAA weather channel access, a fairly straightforward programming scheme, and a decently understandable instruction manual.

Radio Placement: The main radio unit/box just sits under the driver's seat on the carpet. A flexible mounting stalk is mounted to the front left seat mounting bolt of the passenger seat and at the top the ICOM control head is attached. The stalk is easy to position to be out of the way and to allow easy access to and viewing of the control head. Both the antenna coax and power cord are run to under the driver's seat passing through the firewall at an existing rubber grommet. The microphone is just brought out from under the seat at the front. Also placed under the seat is an external box speaker plugged into the radio unit. The bigger speaker makes hearing and understanding radio traffic much easier. A couple of squares of Velcro (hook side) applied to the radio and speaker keep things secured well enough to the carpet to prevent movement.

Antenna & Mount Details: The antenna is a dual band TRAM #1180 and is 38” long. I went with a fender/hood bracket mount as I did not want anything on the roof due to driving through brush off pavement and my camper overhang covering most of the available space of the roof area. The antenna bracket is from NCG model #DGANTPF. A Browning #WSPBR1015 NMO antenna mount/coax cable completes the set up (all from Amazon). The interior flex-stalk mount is from Ham Radio Outlet #LM300.

I enjoy having the ham radio in the rig. There have been times I've been in a no cell service area and been able to reach a local repeater, have access to the NOAA weather broadcasts/alerts, and of course having the occasional random conversation on the road or getting some local information. In my opinion this provides a very useful "third leg" of my communications options while out and about: cell phone, ham radio, SPOT GPS tracker.

Make sure you download the RepeaterBook.com app to your phone or Ipad. It really opens up your options when you're out of your normal operating area.

IMG_0092.jpgIMG_0094.jpg

Last edited:

halseyt

Thanks for this easy to follow installation. I'm doing similar in my w350 and appreciate the part suggestions for the antenna.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94