Ram 3500- 68RFE or Aisin, help me build!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I prefer single alternator as well. If I need a bigger one, I'll install an aftermarket one. Even with heavy lights, I rarely stress out a quality alternator.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
So I went to the dealership and got to spend some quality seat time behind a tradesman and a big horn (essentially an SLT with luxury group and a few other amenities). I must admit, I don't know why but the tradesman seats (vinyl) felt ever so slightly more comfortable. Not that I'll be sitting in the middle rear seat but that was considerably softer with the absence of the armrest/cup holders of the SLT. My youngest will be sitting there in a booster seat for a few years but once he's out of the seat I could see that seat (if it has the cloth seats, and armrest) being uncomfortable for a long ride. The tradesman is very basic but I would totally be happy buying it new. I could still order it with the factory aux switches, rear camera and backup sensors which is a plus.

There wasn't an SLT on the lot, only a big horn. But I would also be happy with the SLT with the luxury package. The luxury package comes with 7" driver display, glove box light, leather steering wheel, overhead console w/garage door openers, power folding mirrors, steering wheel audio controls, under hood lamp and vanity mirrors. The SLT has more storage in the doors, the overhead console (tradesman has no map lights), rear sliding window, temperature gauge/compass, brake controller, remote keyless entry and 1 yr of xm radio. These are things I wouldn't mind having but I could live without.

I also peaked under the hood as they had trucks with dual and single alternators. With dual, they're mounted up high, on either side of the motor. At a glance they look easy to remove, to repair or to access deeper in the engine bay.

My conclusions... It's all about perspective. All of the options are great, I can't go wrong with whatever I choose. Transmission doesn't matter, both work, both are reliable. And I could go either way with the alternators as well. I think what it's going to boil down to is the price difference. I hope to talk to my salesperson from dennis dillon today and compare. I'll get prices, probably ponder over the weekend before I order...

Last edited:

js9234

Observer
Does Dennis Dillon have any leftover 2016's on the lot for a bigger discount that has the options you want?

So I went to the dealership and got to spend some quality seat time behind a tradesman and a big horn (essentially an SLT with luxury group and a few other amenities). I must admit, I don't know why but the tradesman seats (vinyl) felt ever so slightly more comfortable. Not that I'll be sitting in the middle rear seat but that was considerably softer with the absence of the armrest/cup holders of the SLT. My youngest will be sitting there in a booster seat for a few years but once he's out of the seat I could see that seat (if it has the cloth seats, and armrest) being uncomfortable for a long ride. The tradesman is very basic but I would totally be happy buying it new. I could still order it with the factory aux switches, rear camera and backup sensors which is a plus.

There wasn't an SLT on the lot, only a big horn. But I would also be happy with the SLT with the luxury package. The luxury package comes with 7" driver display, glove box light, leather steering wheel, overhead console w/garage door openers, power folding mirrors, steering wheel audio controls, under hood lamp and vanity mirrors. The SLT has more storage in the doors, the overhead console (tradesman has no map lights), rear sliding window, temperature gauge/compass, brake controller, remote keyless entry and 1 yr of xm radio. These are things I wouldn't mind having but I could live without.

I also peaked under the hood as they had trucks with dual and single alternators. With dual, they're mounted up high, on either side of the motor. At a glance they look easy to remove, to repair or to access deeper in the engine bay.

My conclusions... It's all about perspective. All of the options are great, I can't go wrong with whatever I choose. Transmission doesn't matter, both work, both are reliable. And I could go either way with the alternators as well. I think what it's going to boil down to is the price difference. I hope to talk to my salesperson from dennis dillon today and compare. I'll get prices, probably ponder over the weekend before I order...

Mlachica

Does Dennis Dillon have any leftover 2016's on the lot for a bigger discount that has the options you want?

no, unfortunately not. Not even 2017. They're either long bed diesel or manual transmission. I plan to order, that way I can get what exactly what I want and don't want. If there's anything I have, it's time haha

ATCws

I follow you on Instagram so I've seen your rig. I'm thinking along the same lines as far as the same truck and light-weight pop-up camper, etc. Do you have a build thread on Expo- portal? Am looking for information on your suspension mods and the rational for buying what you bought. And is it comfortable off road? Or relatively conformable. :)

I'm vacillating between a quad cab short flatbed and a regular cab long flatbed for the same reasons your stated: wheelbase. I don't have children to tote around and the wifey says she ain't going! So it will be just me. But for only an extra 9 inches of wheelbase longer I can get a quad cab, and that extra interior room for storage, but with a short bed. That would probably work for my single person needs.

I'll look back through your Instagram. thx.

Explorerinil

Observer
Get a quad cab short bed 3500 CTD with the aisin trans... you won’t be disappointed. I got 4:30 gears and 37’s and can easily pull anything I ever need to. Plus over 900 ft of torque is awesome.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
if you arent buying a RAM for the power wagon, you should also consider shopping at a Ford dealer as well. The F250 is a world class truck

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
What's up with the chassis cab idea? Was that for a large expo box or something?

173" WB isn't terrible. I'm at 160 something, and decided I didn't need a LB, but I do need a CC. Don't sweat the derate on the chassis cab trucks. Make up for it by choosing the largest gear ratios you can. Regear for larger tires. It's for reliability, and hard use. If you use a full power truck, too hard too often, it's reliability is going to suffer.

I'd rather have a civvy model with the derate, than try to baby the truck and watch my EGT's on every climb.

I'll second that you should try googling some Ford dealer lots, when you know exactly what you're after. I've been to the chassis cab plant, it's top notch.

Mlachica

I follow you on Instagram so I've seen your rig. I'm thinking along the same lines as far as the same truck and light-weight pop-up camper, etc. Do you have a build thread on Expo- portal? Am looking for information on your suspension mods and the rational for buying what you bought. And is it comfortable off road? Or relatively conformable. :)

I'm vacillating between a quad cab short flatbed and a regular cab long flatbed for the same reasons your stated: wheelbase. I don't have children to tote around and the wifey says she ain't going! So it will be just me. But for only an extra 9 inches of wheelbase longer I can get a quad cab, and that extra interior room for storage, but with a short bed. That would probably work for my single person needs.

I'll look back through your Instagram. thx.

Thanks for the follow, hope you're enjoying the feed!

Unfortunately I don't have a build thread, one platform to keep up to date (the 'gram) is enough for me. The suspension is a carli 2.5" pin top kit and custom deavers. In a nutshell, I ordered the truck and camper. Installed the carli kit minus the deavers, and only used lift blocks as I didn't know what the final weight was going to be. With suspension installed and wheels mounted and bed removed I brought it to AT Overland so they could build out the flatbed and install the camper. Now that it's for the most part complete with all major weight changers, I loaded up for a trip and weighed it. Brought it to deaver with this info and had them make the truck level without the use of blocks. My truck isn't a common build for a carli kit and i knew it could ride better so I dropped it off at carli to have them revalve the shocks now that the weight was final and the rear springs were in. There's a couple recent videos on my instagram - I absolutely love the way it handles on and off road. To comfortably go on a spirited drive on back roads is super fun for me. I know I've scared some on coming vehicles before cresting hills or coming around corners. It's definitely not a long travel tacoma but for what my build is, it drives amazing.

You could also consider getting a single cab long bed and have a tunnel box - the one between the cab and the camper. I keep a full size spare, camping chairs, and any fun toys such as 2 inflatable SUP's, dutch oven, snow peak fire place, R/C trucks, BB Guns, etc. Most of this stuff I'd rather keep outside the cab to keep the cab clean.

STREGA

Explorer
Kinda late to this thread don't know how I missed it.:oops: Any way my .02 cents worth on the original question is if you can afford to get the Aisin by all means do it. I have had the Aisin behind both the Cummins and now a 6.4L Hemi and just can't say enough good things about it, only thing I don't have is 100K or more miles of use with one yet, working on it though. I do not have any personal experience with the standard auto so can not comment on it, it may be just fine as well.

Mlachica I don't do the gram, twitter or the face thing, could you post a pic or 2 of your rig on this thread would love to see your truck. I get the wanting to not do multiple thread builds it's a big time drain.

Mlachica

Kinda late to this thread don't know how I missed it.:oops: Any way my .02 cents worth on the original question is if you can afford to get the Aisin by all means do it. I have had the Aisin behind both the Cummins and now a 6.4L Hemi and just can't say enough good things about it, only thing I don't have is 100K or more miles of use with one yet, working on it though. I do not have any personal experience with the standard auto so can not comment on it, it may be just fine as well.

Mlachica I don't do the gram, twitter or the face thing, could you post a pic or 2 of your rig on this thread would love to see your truck. I get the wanting to not do multiple thread builds it's a big time drain.

I ended up going with the 68rfe. I only have about 16.5k miles on it, essentially all miles have been with it built out. It's been a great transmission, no issues. I can't compare it to the Aisin. I know the maintenance schedule of the 68rfe is half the frequency of the aisin, which is ultimately why I went with it since my research showed both transmissions to be reliable. The less wrenching I have to do, the more time I have to be out and about. I do intend to regear to what will most likely be 4.30 and that should be really good for my type of traveling.

BB6C1FAC-D5A5-4961-AAB4-F1A0A61B0F77.jpeg

0D1AB103-F7DF-4C1B-BBA0-4F5D0DF251D7.jpeg

6E87E933-2B38-4888-9296-4FD8508AEA75.jpeg

Last edited:

STREGA

Explorer
I ended up going with the 68rfe. I only have about 16.5k miles on it, essentially all miles have been with it built out. It's been a great transmission, no issues. I can't compare it to the Aisin. I know the maintenance schedule of the 68rfe is half the frequency of the aisin, which is ultimately why I went with it since my research showed both transmissions to be reliable. The less wrenching I have to do, the more time I have to be out and about. I do intend to regear to what will most likely be 4.30 and that should be really good for my type of traveling.

View attachment 487059

View attachment 487060

View attachment 487061
Very nice truck and camper you have!

kmacafee

Adventurer
I found a 2015 Laramie 3500 crew cab gasser with 18000 miles for right at 40k. I've added an aluminum flatbed and a Bundutec camper and fully loaded, I'm 1000 pounds under max vehicle gvwr. The diesel engine option would have just about wiped out that 1000 pound difference. My purchase price was a lot cheaper as is maintenance. Im getting anywhere from 9-14 mpg depending on wind, terrain, etc.. Given im never going to pull any significant weight, the diesel with its recalls and higher maintenance costs just didn't seem worth it. Just my 2 cents FWIW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94