Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

Tx9812valve

Shoot me a PM some time and Ill meet you for lunch. It is good to be back in Colorado for sure.
Will do, that would be great.

As for truck campers I have heard nothing but good about FWC, Hallmark, and Northstar for heavy off road duties. In my opinion, FWC would probably win out over the other 2 for lighter weight and in bed mounting system. I really like the idea of the Alaskans being hard sided. I almost built one but they do tend to be heavy which gave me pause. With Palomino Broncos you can expect the same quality as a typical mass produced travel trailer, so they are definitely the lower end of that line up but they are cheaper. Disclaimer: I haven't owned any of those listed but have done countless hours of digging for my own build, so take it for what it's worth.
I was really stuck on getting a truck camper so last summer I bought a cheap pop up truck camper (a Sun Lite) to see if it would work for my needs before dropping ridiculous $ for a new one. Long story short, I got tired of hauling around the extra weight (at a light 1200lbs compared to some of the others) and it was a pain to put on and take off so leaving it as a base camp as originally intended didn't work out either. I also missed having the usable bed space.
Now we are back to a RTT on a camper shell for the trail runs or light camping trips, and haul a trailer for any toys and a base camp duties.
I have been seriously eyeing Ovrlnd campers though. They seem to be the best of both worlds for my needs, and weight a lot less (400lbs or so if I recall). They are essentially a truck camper top that attaches to your bed sides like a camper shell would.
A couple others I have seen that might be worth a look are Overland Explorer and Bundutec.

Ravenmad

Observer
I am moderately interested in the Four Wheel camper Model M. Interesting idea for sure. I also like the AT Habitat. Both allow for normal storage in the bed of the truck (similar to having a canopy) but with the added benefit of the sleeping area. We use our truck quite a bit for exploring and camping, plus I prefer for the truck to be as self sufficient as possible. I do have an off road trailer with all my stuff mounted on it, however, pulling it behind the truck into the high mountain lakes I prefer is a bit cumbersome. The trailer was great behind a jeep though, perhaps I just need a jeep again and keep the truck at the cabin in the future.

Tx9812valve

Decisions decisions! One thing is for sure, nothing works perfectly for everything. That never seems to stop us from trying to find (or build) something that does. Totally agree, having the truck self sufficient is the way to go though.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I personally like the hard sides of the Alaskan. Over time I think it will be more durable, while also offering a quieter and more insulated camp.

It does give a short opportunity for rain intrusion though while its being open and closed.

For me though, I’ve really been eying the 50ten camper/flatbed deal. Yes, it’s expensive, and no it doesn’t come fully equipped. But the ability to have a flat bed, with sides, extra storage, and the option to add a canopy with an integrated tent, is truly appealing.

It’s lighter and thinner than a pop up too, and also has the added benefit (my opinion) of giving the more primitive aspect of camping when compared to a loaded slide in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ravenmad

Observer
I personally like the hard sides of the Alaskan. Over time I think it will be more durable, while also offering a quieter and more insulated camp.

It does give a short opportunity for rain intrusion though while its being open and closed.

For me though, I’ve really been eying the 50ten camper/flatbed deal. Yes, it’s expensive, and no it doesn’t come fully equipped. But the ability to have a flat bed, with sides, extra storage, and the option to add a canopy with an integrated tent, is truly appealing.

It’s lighter and thinner than a pop up too, and also has the added benefit (my opinion) of giving the more primitive aspect of camping when compared to a loaded slide in.

I have never heard of Fiftyten, actually just looked it up and did some reading about it. No doubt, 32K for the set up is expensive. I think the price is in the realm of the PCOR system price wise. I do like the idea of a flat bed / trey bed for the truck, mostly the utility of it and storage/access capability. I think like most new products I would be inclined to wait a bit and look for a track record per say of the company. Offroad teardrop trailers are a great example of every buddies brother jumping on the band wagon and only a few companies actually developing a sound enduring product. Honestly, I think most products are overpriced because the market perception is it will allow it.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Yea it’s very expensive. According to goose gear they are working on keyless integration now, and will soon have a headboard and folding side option.

The PCOR is more refined, but I don’t like the ¾ canopy option and still having to use a RTT. Now if they offered an integrated tent with the canopy, it would certainly be my choice.

I just like the more primitive style of cooking off the truck and the process of setting and breaking camp.

I also know that Adventure Trailers will sell just the tent portion of their bed covers so there could be an option to do a semi DIY deal too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ravenmad

Observer
Thats interesting about AT Overland. I in fact did not know they would do that. Most manufactures will not separate their product line. Its a hard choice in my mind to choose between the Habitat and the Atlas. I like the extra room of the Habitat, however, I like the smaller signature of the Atlas when its deployed. The atlas would work nicely with a 270deg. awning, however, the Habitat provides its own covered area when you deploy the tent.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Just read through this entire thing!

Great rig and documentation!

I am in the process of planning/building something similar.

Have the Hutchinsons and the truck is ordered... now... i wait and read..

Last edited:

Ravenmad

Observer
I put the bed rack system back on the truck for now, with the 23 Zero RTT, Bat 270 awning and Como box. Designed some new pieces for the bed rails (tie-downs) that will hopefully be done in a few weeks and then I can post up some picks.

Met up with some friends the other day and ran a trail, pretty easy, but a trail none the less. Might be time to put the Walker Evens Bead locks and 42" Maxxis Trepadors back on the truck for snowy adventures.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 4.44.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 4.44.28 AM.png
    963 KB · Views: 215
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 4.43.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 4.43.39 AM.png
    586.2 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

nkrant

Very nice rig.....looking to do something similar do you think you could fit the 43" contentals on it? Here is mine as it sits currently has Carli 3" kit on it......sorry missed a page lol I see you addressed that you talked about the 43s

Attachments

• IMG_1122.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • MVIMG_20180727_104825-01.jpeg
    MVIMG_20180727_104825-01.jpeg
    420.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

ttengineer

Adventurer
Thats interesting about AT Overland. I in fact did not know they would do that. Most manufactures will not separate their product line. Its a hard choice in my mind to choose between the Habitat and the Atlas. I like the extra room of the Habitat, however, I like the smaller signature of the Atlas when its deployed. The atlas would work nicely with a 270deg. awning, however, the Habitat provides its own covered area when you deploy the tent.

I also like the smaller foot print of the Atlas, but like the room of the Habitat.

I just wish they would offer a forward flip version of the habitat, like the old flip pacs. That, paired with a 270 awning would be really nice.

WILDPEAK

I also like the smaller foot print of the Atlas, but like the room of the Habitat.

I just wish they would offer a forward flip version of the habitat, like the old flip pacs. That, paired with a 270 awning would be really nice.

I really like seeing the new AT Overland Atlas on the RAM platform. I think it makes great sense if you dont want to go as wide and bulky as a 4W Pop-Up Project M. Trying to flip over a full-size Habitat seems like it wouldn't be an easy task... Pushing the Atlas straight up is super simple. Simplicity in combo with the spacious overhand above the cab puts the Atlas on my wishlist... With that said I will likely end up with a GFC if I make the move from a rack/RTT to a shelter/camper, to keep the truck as light and nimble as possible.

Last edited:

WILDPEAK

I think you can expect upgraded shocks valved specifically for factory coil springs (I realize there are a lot of factory spring rates, but in all actuality, the difference in rates is quite minimal), the shocks should have adjustable dampening, remote resi, diesel and gas specific valving and will be a high quality name brand. I also know Cooper and Dave put a 5 link on the front of Sledge and it seems to have made some improvement. The 5 link also supports the 37 to 40 inch tire adaptation of the 3 inch dual sport kit. I am certain the 5 link will also necessitate the use of a front sway bar while keeping the radius arm design front suspension allows you to not really need the factory sway bar for stability (body roll control). I have the 3 inch AEV kit and 41s with a diesel and I removed the front sway bar, truck still drives great even when towing (cooper has had the same experience).

I've seen lately that DPP and Dirthead Dave have done a couple more link jobs...

Not going that extreme, I'm still waiting for better shock option for the AEV lift, either the Bilstien 8100 Cargo XP that AEV has in the works of someone to offer custom tuned King/Fox large reservoir option with the appropriate collapsed/extended lengths to work with the AEV spacers... I reached out to DPP even though mine is a Power Wagon, stay tuned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles