Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

Boz

Observer
I don't know about Carli or thuren. Pretty much the best way to help prevent this issue is TIG weld the axle tubes to the castings and truss it, however, no one sells the truss by itself. The stock radius arms with rubber bushings are more forgiving than the aftermarket radius arms that utilize solid 1.25" rod ends.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for but Thuren sells a truss kit.

Adventurous

Explorer
I don't know about Carli or thuren. Pretty much the best way to help prevent this issue is TIG weld the axle tubes to the castings and truss it, however, no one sells the truss by itself. The stock radius arms with rubber bushings are more forgiving than the aftermarket radius arms that utilize solid 1.25" rod ends.

Carli, Thuren, and Artec all offer truss kits for the AAM 9.25". I'd go for the Artec personally, not only is it half the cost of the Carli kit but it stretches from knuckle to knuckle and has support for the C's as well.

Explorerinil

Observer
Carli, Thuren, and Artec all offer truss kits for the AAM 9.25". I'd go for the Artec personally, not only is it half the cost of the Carli kit but it stretches from knuckle to knuckle and has support for the C's as well.
The Artec is a good design, but I believe it doesn’t work with the new radius arm ram trucks... I could be wrong.

greenMarine

is Lewis Built's HD radius arms that use a Johnny Joint and a FK rod end. downside of moving to spherical bearings and rod ends is that they will need to be replaced as the races wear out, and in a truck this heavy, i would say you will be looking at 50,000 mile Johnny Joint rebuilds.

I am running the Lewis Builts on my 2018 - 526971

I've had them on the truck for almost 20,000 miles and so far so good - albeit most of those miles are highway - with limited off-road work.

My choice to use the Lewis Builts was predicated on their unique advantages - over other solutions - that said I considered the Pure Performance 4-link - but ultimately determined that the LBA got me the stretch I needed to accommodate a 40" tire with my AEV flares, (AEV wasn't shipping their suspension system kits when I needed a solution).

THE LBA's are burly and flex well - I've had no issues with them whatsoever.

I believe that short of running a three link with a panhard bar (AKA TracBar) the LBA give the best option for reducing the bind inherent in the radius arm set up.

I was originally running 40's on a 17x10 but went to 37's

the spring is a CARLI 3" for diesel - below is my truck from the 4th of July 2019 on 37x13.5x17 Toyo OPEN County m/t's - big difference in drivability (G56 manual) on the daily between 40's and 37's. When I re-gear and add the PSC assist I'll be back on 40's

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
Thank You - The wheels are 17x10 -24mm US Mag Indy - one of the few 17x10's I could find.
I heard that these trucks with the AEV flares and 37’s look,awkward. Yours looks great and the tires don’t look to small. Do you have any side pics? I’m thinking of getting a set of AEV flares.

Ravenmad

Observer
Any updates on this? Did you end up selling the truck, or?
Didn't sell the truck, seems as though it is meant to stay for awhile longer. We are gathering some more parts for it to bolster its capability per say. I am really leaning hard towards a Woolrich edition FourWheel Camper, second fuel tank, spare tire carrier bumper and adding the front tubular grill guard.

singlefin

Oh man that's a good setup. Hallmark might be worth chatting with at the Woolrich price point. Did you make the move back to Colorado?

Ravenmad

Observer
Oh man that's a good setup. Hallmark might be worth chatting with at the Woolrich price point. Did you make the move back to Colorado?

I did move back to Colorado. You know, I really have not looked at the Hallmark Campers. I will do that tonight...... Good reading material.

Tx9812valve

Love the build! I was a little surprised to walk past it on my way in to work this morning. Welcome back to Colorado!

Ravenmad

Observer
So I did some browsing of the Interwebs last night ........ Slide in Campers!!! I do really like the Four Wheel camper and a pop up is the only option as we use the truck for a lot of trail duty and I prefer to be able to camp out on the trail somewhere. So question is, which camper is the best and why (not to start an argument) ?

Four Wheel Camper (woolrich edition)
Alaskan Camper
Hallmark
Palomino

Any Others of quality?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz