Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

Ravenmad

Observer
I’m in love. Are you doing the STAFS tank in the rear? If so will there be room for the Zeon out back?

Sorry I failed to respond to your question. With the STAFS tank there is no room for the winch to fit behind the bumper. I actually have 2 thoughts.

1. Cut, notch and weld in a new center piece that will allow the winch to sit in the bumper between the latch mechanisms for the two swing outs.
2. Build a slide in for the receiver that basically sits the winch up inside the area between the latch mechanisms on the rear bumper.

Those are my 2 basic options.

blackdmax15

Observer
Sorry I failed to respond to your question. With the STAFS tank there is no room for the winch to fit behind the bumper. I actually have 2 thoughts.

1. Cut, notch and weld in a new center piece that will allow the winch to sit in the bumper between the latch mechanisms for the two swing outs.
2. Build a slide in for the receiver that basically sits the winch up inside the area between the latch mechanisms on the rear bumper.

Forgot you were doing a different rear bumper. Verify though you are installing the STAFS? I’m looking for some feedback on the system from someone who isn’t a magazine.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I’m in love. Are you doing the STAFS tank in the rear? If so will there be room for the Zeon out back?

Forgot you were doing a different rear bumper. Verify though you are installing the STAFS? I’m looking for some feedback on the system from someone who isn’t a magazine.

If you delete your Ram, a Titan XL tank for a 2010 Ram HD, 55 gal, will fit if you are looking for extra range. It’s a nice little trick that not only increases reliability and fuel economy but also increases range. With a deleted truck with proper gearing and 55 gal of fuel you aught to be able to achieve up to a 1300 mile trip before needing to refuel. Pair that tank with the spare tire tank and you’re looking at possibly achieving a 2000 mile range with 85 gal of fuel. Results will obviously vary greatly depending on truck specs and driving conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ravenmad

Observer
That is a "very" interesting upgrade. Im assuming the extra capacity is gained because the DEF tank can be removed? I don't think I will delete the truck. When I bought it I got a "very" extended warranty that covers it from front to back. I really only cared about the motor, trans, Case and all the electronics though. Well, sometimes people change their minds though ;)

ttengineer

Adventurer
Yea, it’s due to the DEF tank.

A delete also clears up a ton of room underneath too, especially if straight piped. Although, I plan on running a muffler and resonator to achieve a quieter ride. It all that room makes a good spot to add an air tank and/or water tank. Or keep it open and bask in the removal of over 200 lbs.

Dalko43

Explorer
If you delete your Ram, a Titan XL tank for a 2010 Ram HD, 55 gal, will fit if you are looking for extra range. It’s a nice little trick that not only increases reliability and fuel economy but also increases range. With a deleted truck with proper gearing and 55 gal of fuel you aught to be able to achieve up to a 1300 mile trip before needing to refuel. Pair that tank with the spare tire tank and you’re looking at possibly achieving a 2000 mile range with 85 gal of fuel. Results will obviously vary greatly depending on truck specs and driving conditions.

1300 miles is already a lot. 2000 miles of range is insane...I don't even think the dedicated Aussie overland rigs have that much range.

You're pretty much a self-sufficient mothership at that point....just put a little bucket in the bed and you'll be able to go 1-2 weeks without stopping.

Humor aside, the stock 31 gallon tank combined with the Titan Spare Tire tank (30 gallons) should give the average Crew Cab Short Bed Ram ~1-1.1k miles of highway cruising, and obviously a bit less for stop-and-go and 4wd driving. That's nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited:

Ravenmad

Observer
Spent the last 4 days in Ohio (with good friends) for the Mid Ohio Jeep Org's (MOJO) Jeep Fest at the Ross County Fair Grounds in Ohio. I ran into Selina (very nice) from Trail 15 who was set up and had some cool Nuthouse equipment on display (I know how much some of you love the Nuthouse racks). Decent event, only in its second year but deff. growing. Off to take care of some real work this week and then back home and prepare for All4Fun in Empire Colorado.

Attachments

• 20180708_094941.jpg
    20180708_094941.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 20180708_094925.jpg
    20180708_094925.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
  • 20180708_094956.jpg
    20180708_094956.jpg
    814.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 20180708_094819.jpg
    20180708_094819.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Ravenmad

Observer
And the front bumper Brush / Grill guard is out to design, put into CAD and mandrel bent by Hanksville Hotrods in Littleton Co. It will be an adaptation of the FAB FOUR Brush / Grill guard..... just added to the AEV bumper ;) Should be done next week.... Fingers Crossed

Hopefully the Randy Ellis Design Sleeksters will be on by this Sat.

Attachments

• dodge-fabfour-bumper.jpg
    dodge-fabfour-bumper.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 171
  • 20180526_180002.jpg
    20180526_180002.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 172

chet6.7

Explorer
And the front bumper Brush / Grill guard is out to design, put into CAD and mandrel bent by Hanksville Hotrods in Littleton Co. It will be an adaptation of the FAB FOUR Brush / Grill guard..... just added to the AEV bumper ;) Should be done next week.... Fingers Crossed

Hopefully the Randy Ellis Design Sleeksters will be on by this Sat.
Very nice.
That is what they should have built,instead they ignored protecting the cooling system from an animal strike.

Ravenmad

Observer
I had a great last couple of days adventuring and such. I verified that in fact, a full size CCSB Ram 2500 on 40s can in fact fit over Red Cone - Radical Hill - Middle Fork of the Swan River and down to Breckenridge... I should have taken a picture of the sign on the Hwy 285 side that clearly stated "Full Size 4x4 will not fit". No damage, no tree rubbing, just a very tight fit in a bunch of places on red cone and 2 very tight fits on Radical hill with about 3 inches to spare as the drivers side fender flare was 1/2 inch away from the rock wall and the passenger side tire sat on the edge of a long way down...

Headed into Leadville to stay at a wonderful little Bed and Breakfast (McGinnis Cottage Inn Bed and Breakfast), got Dinner at Quincys and chilled out for the evening.

The next day I ventured back to BnB RV in Denver to look at a possible upgrade in Off-road trailer (I have had a Crux Expedition Trailer for the last 9 months), looking for something with more room and easier set up. Took a long look at the Black Series HQ Caravan. BnB has about 5 different brands of adventure trailers that they sell. Looking at the Black Series I would have to say I will pass. As a disclaimer it was a demo unit that went to Overland Expo, however, absolutely not impressed with the quality of the build in comparison to how much it cost. A bunch of cool ideas and looks decent when its brand new, but the build quality sucked and I personally would be afraid it will absolutely fall apart under use.

Anyways, I did venture over to Rocky Mountain Four Wheel Camper and saw several AEV Prospectors with HAWK campers, and then there was the flatbed creation.... AMAZING

Anyways, another great couple of days. I have a little work to do tomorrow morning then Ill be headed back up to the shop to work on the RED Sleeksters and work on designing the uprights for a 270 degree awning I will be putting on the Expo Rack forth coming in the next week or so, along with the new 23 Zero RTT, a road shower and a couple of Alu-Box's for storage.

I will post up some pics tomorrow night of the sleeksters.

Attachments

• 20180710_140616.jpg
    20180710_140616.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 276
  • 20180712_130728.jpg
    20180712_130728.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 285
  • 20180710_161047.jpg
    20180710_161047.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 288
  • 20180710_161027.jpg
    20180710_161027.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 273
  • 20180710_151757.jpg
    20180710_151757.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 245

silvrzuki77

explorer
Very awesome! Can’t wait to order mine.. have a tent trailer on 35’s trailing arm suspension if interested lol.

Curious if those tires in 38’s would fit with out fender mods.

We got this in for our rural firefighters lucky bastards

a76ea7f653ada6862dd957773da120c4.jpg
91644d042d870ac0a3d52e0a718bebf2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ravenmad

Observer
I think a set of 38s could be made to fit without the Highmark fender flares. You would need the correct amount of lift and probably move the axle forward a little bit in order to not have to trim sheetmetal. Yup, I think its absolutely possible. However, I think the basic tire sizes for the Conti. MPT81 is 43.2 - 40.8 - 37.6 and a much smaller size around 32 give or take a few tenths... I could be wrong though, been wrong before lololol .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles