Ram 2500 Rebel

Explorerinil

Observer
If true re: Hemi/Articulink versus Cummins/regular, that'll finally dispel one of the questions why PWs have such lower payloads than non-PW Hemi 2500s, given that the Hemi Rebels are listed at 3k-ish pounds payload but the Hemi PWs are half that much. The frame, brakes, shocks, etc. are no different, so it must be the D versus E-rated tires or the lift that dropped their capabilities?
Power wagons have softer coils and a slight lift. I owned a 19 power wagon and I can tell you it towed and hauled just fine. After owning one I can tell you they are debated to comply with safety standards. The power wagon is sold to anyone, so they need to comply with safety standards, if you had someone put a large in bed camper on it and do fast and tight turns at speed and it tips over there’s a lawsuit… so just derate it to cover their ass.

Explorerinil

Observer
To be viable ram really needs to update their HD trucks with the 1500 cab, diesel trucks need a new trans. The 2500 rebel should have had the name outdoorsman like they had and come with 18 inch rims vs 20 and come with a winch both optional on gas and diesel versions. Power wagons really need 35’s now, then you have a great set up.

To be viable ram really needs to update their HD trucks with the 1500 cab, diesel trucks need a new trans. The 2500 rebel should have had the name outdoorsman like they had and come with 18 inch rims vs 20 and come with a winch both optional on gas and diesel versions. Power wagons really need 35’s now, then you have a great set up.

Agree on the 35s…truck looks SO much better after I installed (metric) 35s, and it’s a lot happier after I fixed the speedo/trans with the AEV ProCal.

UglyViking

To my knowledge, the Rebel does not include any upgraded springs, just shocks. So you're not getting the lift the power wagon has. Additionally, you're losing a lot of the PW goodies. The only real benefit, for the Cummins trucks at least, is the rear locker. That's nice and all, but if I could only run a single locker I'd have it up front.

To me, the Rebel misses the mark hard. It should be, at most, a option package you can add to basically any trim Ram, not a trim level.

With the cost increase I expect to see with the Rebel, and the fact that for the past 2 model years Ram's have skyrocketed in cost, I think I'll be keeping my 19 Cummins for the foreseeable future, even though I was looking to upgrade to a 3500, it's just not worth it with the current cost.

(none)

Adventurer
In the TFL video, the truck they showed had the column shifter. Did they change from the knob shifter or is that only on certain trims?

jbaucom

In the TFL video, the truck they showed had the column shifter. Did they change from the knob shifter or is that only on certain trims?
The truck in the TFL video must've been a diesel. I'm pretty sure only the Hemi trucks with the 8 speed have the dash mounted dial shifter.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Huh. I wonder why you still can't get a winch with the Cummins?

Don't a lot of people with Cummins diesels still install a winch aftermarket?

Ram should make it an option like Ford does with the SuperDuty Tremor.

I wonder if the 2500 Rebel will have better payload than the Power Wagon?

Edit:

The Cummins intercooler requires a bumper where the winch apparatus is mounted farther away from the engine

Explorerinil

Observer
The truck in the TFL video must've been a diesel. I'm pretty sure only the Hemi trucks with the 8 speed have the dash mounted dial shifter.
Correct, trucks with the zf trans get the electronic dial. Cummins powered trucks all have the 68 or Aisin trans options and are column Shift.

malibubts

Adventurer
Well, Motor Trend has posted a first drive article for the Rebel HD: 2023 Ram 2500 HD Rebel First Test: Sometimes Less Really Is More (motortrend.com) . This article states that the Rebel HD DOES NOT have the Power Wagon's 2" lift nor Articulink, contradicting the original announcement.

Yup, just came back to post this video from TFL stating the same:

I think Ram was just a little misleading with the whole "same bones as the Power Wagon" marketing tag line causing the confusion. I imagine these will still sell, but unless you need either the payload or the tow rating the Power Wagon seems like the much better choice. I guess we'll see what pricing looks like, but I bet if you go Hemi and add a winch you'll be at a pretty close price point and if you go diesel I imagine you'll be far over the Power Wagon cost. It's for sure a better option at least in terms of functionality to the old off-road package though, that's probably the better way to compare the Rebel.

85_Ranger4x4

As someone who wants more of a work truck the rebel appeal to me a lot more than a Power Wagon.

Gvw/tow rating is much better, can have diesel, lower ride height, still gets a locker etc.

Kinda closes the gap somewhat between a off-road and a Tremor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94