Ram 2500 long term reliability

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Go gas, diesel offers no advantages today unless you want to tow 20K#.
Otherwise, 3500 series Ram, Ford, Chev are virtually identical.
And better built every year. Pick the one you like.

ps for a top heavy wide camper a dually might be nice.

View attachment 735024
A dually gas engined 3500 would be a disaster with a heavy camper with the exception of ford's 7.3 but then you're down to 8 mpg. If you don't carry a heavy camper or tow heavy the gas engines are fine especially Ford's 7.3.

I would have no issue pulling a 7600 gvwr trailer. mine has almost 11000 lb tow capacity.
Not sure I agree with this. You would be well within your towing and gross combined weight capacities, but you would be over payload. Or at least, I would be over payload in your truck with my family. If that trailer is loaded to max GVWR, and the tongue weight is 1100 lb, then you only have (EDIT) 465lb left on the truck for everything else (all occupants, whatever mods you might have, bed cover, skid plates, sliders, etc).

My family of five is 600 lb. We would be over payload in your truck with nothing else. But my Tundra’s is rated even lower at 1300lb. I have a dual battery setup, engine and transmission skids, and a retractable bed cover. I think realistically that trailer would put me 700lb over payload, even though it’s within my tow and GCWR capacities. Frustrating!!

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
A dually gas engined 3500 would be a disaster with a heavy camper with the exception of ford's 7.3 but then you're down to 8 mpg. If you don't carry a heavy camper or tow heavy the gas engines are fine especially Ford's 7.3.
I’ve never gotten 8 mpg, fully loaded and towing.. lowest I’ve gone is around 10. My buddy has a large camper with the 7.3 gas, he sees around 10 mpg, much better than his old v10 rig. The 7.3 does surprisingly well on fuel for what it is.

tacollie

Glamper
Not sure I agree with this. You would be well within your towing and gross combined weight capacities, but you would be over payload. Or at least, I would be over payload in your truck with my family. If that trailer is loaded to max GVWR, and the tongue weight is 1100 lb, then you only have 565lb left on the truck for everything else (all occupants, whatever mods you might have, bed cover, skid plates, sliders, etc).

My family of five is 600 lb. We would be over payload in your truck with nothing else. But my Tundra’s is rated even lower at 1300lb. I have a dual battery setup, engine and transmission skids, and a retractable bed cover. I think realistically that trailer would put me 700lb over payload, even though it’s within my tow and GCWR capacities. Frustrating!!
More importantly with the Tundra you'll be over your GAWR. The Power Wagon won't even be close. Either way you'll be much happier towing with a 3/4 ton.

Personally I would only get a RAM for the Cummins. If you want a gas motor I would get a Ford.

More importantly with the Tundra you'll be over your GAWR. The Power Wagon won't even be close. Either way you'll be much happier towing with a 3/4 ton.

Personally I would only get a RAM for the Cummins. If you want a gas motor I would get a Ford.
My truck's GVWR is 7200 lb. The GAWRs are 4000/4150 front/rear. There's nearly 1000lb difference between GVWR and combined GAWRs.

With 600lb of us in the cab and 1100lb on a good weight distributing hitch, it would be close. Truck's curb weight is 5930lb.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My truck's GVWR is 7200 lb. The GAWRs are 4000/4150 front/rear. There's nearly 1000lb difference between GVWR and combined GAWRs.

With 600lb of us in the cab and 1100lb on a good weight distributing hitch, it would be close. Truck's curb weight is 5930lb.
One thing I like about the new F150's is the OnBoard Scale and SmartHitch which will measure all the weights for you.

I'm surprised Ford didn't make it an option on the Super Duties. Maybe when the Super Duty is revised for 2023 they will add OnBoard Scales, Smart Hitch and the ProPower OnBoard generator.

Seems like a no brainer to offer them on the Super Duty to me. Would be great for the jobsite or for camping.....

jadmt

ignore button user
Not sure I agree with this. You would be well within your towing and gross combined weight capacities, but you would be over payload. Or at least, I would be over payload in your truck with my family. If that trailer is loaded to max GVWR, and the tongue weight is 1100 lb, then you only have 565lb left on the truck for everything else (all occupants, whatever mods you might have, bed cover, skid plates, sliders, etc).

it is all a matter of what you are comfortable with. go to any PW forum or fb page and you will find they are probably the most overloaded rig out there. airbags and cradles and call it a day. I have had mine over by several hundred lbs and never really even squatted. I had a GFC and gear and hit the scales to see and was over gvwr but rear axle rating had plenty of safety cushion. It did not feel any different than running empty with just a topper
IMG_20211011_160820520.jpg

Last edited:

RCP

it is all a matter of what you are comfortable with. go to any PW forum or fb page and you will find they are probably the most overloaded rig out there. airbags and cradles and call it a day. I have had mine over by several hundred lbs and never really even squatted. I had a GFC and gear and hit the scales to see and was over gvwr but rear axle rating had plenty of safety cushion.
View attachment 735232

I agree with them being overloaded most of the time. But I think Tacoma's are more often overloaded and under trucked.

I don't have a current weight slip, but I am aware when I am towing ('18 Power Wagon) I am over on my payload, but under on combined weight as well as axle ratings. My payload is overall 1365lbs. I drive the truck constantly with a Cargo Glide 1500 bolted in the bed, a RetraxXR Pro cover, and the Leitner ACS rack with accessories. Added up I would call that 450lbs to be safe. Toss in my family, two dogs, paddleboards and mountain bikes and I have used up most of my payload (if not all) before I even hook up the trailer. To offset the added weight I have gone with the Airlift 5000 bags and Daystar cradles, this eliminates the limiting factor of the truck in my mind. The biggest difference between the Power Wagon and a traditional 2500 (when it comes to its ability to tow/haul) are the softer springs and C load range tires from factory. The addition of the air bags and E load range tires removes those concerns. The rest of the truck can handle much more than the sticker on the door indicates. The engine, transmission, frame, brakes etc all come from a standard 2500/3500. Axle ratings are in the 6000+ lbs range as well.

I would not recommend a Power Wagon if you are considering a slide in camper, even with bags, but if you are looking for something to tow a 7600lb trailer comfortably the truck will do it all day even if on the scale you are a bit over your payload.

CFMGarage

Are you planning to use the truck "out of the box" or plan to modify it? Also, will this be your daily driver as well as the tow/travel vehicle? If you do plan to daily, go drive these trucks around the places you frequent.

I specifically got a 3500 so I wouldn't ever have to worry about payload. I was planning to modify the suspension on whatever I bought so why not start with more weight listed on the door sticker.

jadmt

ignore button user
I agree with them being overloaded most of the time. But I think Tacoma's are more often overloaded and under trucked.

I don't have a current weight slip, but I am aware when I am towing ('18 Power Wagon) I am over on my payload, but under on combined weight as well as axle ratings. My payload is overall 1365lbs. I drive the truck constantly with a Cargo Glide 1500 bolted in the bed, a RetraxXR Pro cover, and the Leitner ACS rack with accessories. Added up I would call that 450lbs to be safe. Toss in my family, two dogs, paddleboards and mountain bikes and I have used up most of my payload (if not all) before I even hook up the trailer. To offset the added weight I have gone with the Airlift 5000 bags and Daystar cradles, this eliminates the limiting factor of the truck in my mind. The biggest difference between the Power Wagon and a traditional 2500 (when it comes to its ability to tow/haul) are the softer springs and C load range tires from factory. The addition of the air bags and E load range tires removes those concerns. The rest of the truck can handle much more than the sticker on the door indicates. The engine, transmission, frame, brakes etc all come from a standard 2500/3500. Axle ratings are in the 6000+ lbs range as well.

I would not recommend a Power Wagon if you are considering a slide in camper, even with bags, but if you are looking for something to tow a 7600lb trailer comfortably the truck will do it all day even if on the scale you are a bit over your payload.
they come with D rated tires know since at least 2019 and I think even earlier. you are right E rated is a good improvement to be safe and most people go to 35 or 37 right away anyway. So the owner of AEV who is a pretty smart guy told me the reason for the lower payload is actually from the front of the truck. he said the front articulink control arms are the reason. I run Toyo 35's E rated and the tire capacity exceeds the rear axle capacity.

surfram

A Ram 2500 diesel will tow just about any travel trailer currently available. When it comes to 5th wheels or truck campers, a 2500 will run out of payload very quickly. The extended range(mpg), torque, exhaust brake, and the ability to refuel at truck stops makes a diesel the only choice for me when it comes to towing a camper. I drove a 2004 Ram 2500 Cummins for 15 years/200k+ and towed three different campers. It broke down 1 time when the old style engine mounted lift pump died. Replaced under warranty with the current style in-tank pump. It was mildly tuned, upgraded intake, and high flow exhaust. It towed like a freight train and sounded incredible. I did all of my own maintenance. When I traded up to a 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins, it makes more power stock than my tuned 2004 and I love the exhaust brake. I really would not want to tow a heavy camper ever again without an exhaust brake. My current camper is 34’ long and 10k loaded for a long trip. My 2018 pulls this camper like it’s nothing. All this being said, if I was shopping for a new truck I would buy a Ram 3500 SRW Cummins. The SRW 3500 is still off-road worthy and has a much higher payload that can handle to hitch weight of a decent size 5th wheel or truck camper. I would also stick with a Tradesman because the cost really gets out of control quickly if you want leather, big touch screens, and 20s that would immediately come off for off-road worthy 18” aftermarket wheels anyway. With a SRW 3500, the only real limiting factor is your budget. Suspension can go from mild to wild and you will have the payload capacity for your next larger camper. The maintenance on my 2018 has been just as simple as my 2004. The only real difference are the two fuel filters on my 2018 compared to one on my 2004. My 2018 even uses the same oil filters as my 2004.

RCP

they come with D rated tires know since at least 2019 and I think even earlier. you are right E rated is a good improvement to be safe and most people go to 35 or 37 right away anyway. So the owner of AEV who is a pretty smart guy told me the reason for the lower payload is actually from the front of the truck. he said the front articulink control arms are the reason. I run Toyo 35's E rated and the tire capacity exceeds the rear axle capacity.

You are correct, they come with "D" load range not the "C" I stated. I went with Nitto Ridge Grappler's "E" load range, but I am considering Toyo for my next set. The tire load index does exceed that of the axle, I looked yesterday and my rear axle weight rating is 6200lbs.

That is the first I have heard of someone pointing out the articulink being the factor. I will have to look into that a bit more. I know for sure the rear coils are softer, but that might not be the only factor since the front links are Power Wagon specific.

Everything being said, I won't argue that my truck ends up over its payload capacity when fully loaded and towing, and hovers right at max when we load up 3-4 people and gear for a day mountain biking. The air bags helped tremendously when towing, but aren't needed at any other time.

If I were to look at a slide in camper, the Power Wagon would be replaced by something more fitting for that role. Since that is not my plan, I feel it is the best option for my needs.

**Side Note**

The Ford F-250/350 Tremor with the 7.3l might have been the truck I chose had it been available when I got my truck. Offers most of the off road capability of a Power Wagon without the payload hit. But since I got my truck in late 2018 there was no other options in the HD off road truck.

Trixxx

Go gas, diesel offers no advantages today unless you want to tow 20K#.
Otherwise, 3500 series Ram, Ford, Chev are virtually identical.
And better built every year. Pick the one you like.

ps for a top heavy wide camper a dually might be nice.

I mean.. fuel mileage, power, and range aren’t insignificant criteria in selecting a vehicle for this type of travel..

Not to mention the ability to easily add an aux tank if someone should choose..

UglyViking

I'll never understand how OEMs rate trucks for towing capability as I don't think I've seen a setup where you can actually tow the rated max and not be way over payload on the 2500s and below.

I've got a 2019 Ram 2500 with Cummins. I've been towing a 32' travel trailer and while it's rather light (8k max) I don't know that I'd want to do any frequent towing or long distance towing with a gasser at this trailer size.

I love the space of a HD truck and all the capability, but it does come with some costs. Obviously up front vehicle cost, plus maintenance costs with a diesel (even with the extended oil and fuel filter change duration I think you're still spending a little more), plus there is the insurance and registration costs and then the "daily drivability" of the thing which will be more or less a concern where you live (my truck doesn't fit in a single parking space in new england without overhanding a noticeable amount).

I think if I could do it over again, and wanted something that could tow, carry a bunch and was willing to deal with having an HD truck I've go with a 3500. The 2500s tow ok, but you get a lot of movement in the truck due to the rear coils being so far inboard. Even with the timbrens it's noticeable and not something I'd want to tow all the time with if I could avoid it. That said, at least with the 5th gen Ram trucks, they are identical except for suspension. If you end up with a power wagon you can look to replace the suspension with a Carli setup which will stiffen the rear coils for additional "non-legal" payload.

Edit: The only reason to recommend the power wagon would be that you want the factory lockers and sway bar disconnect.

jadmt

ignore button user
You are correct, they come with "D" load range not the "C" I stated. I went with Nitto Ridge Grappler's "E" load range, but I am considering Toyo for my next set. The tire load index does exceed that of the axle, I looked yesterday and my rear axle weight rating is 6200lbs.

That is the first I have heard of someone pointing out the articulink being the factor. I will have to look into that a bit more. I know for sure the rear coils are softer, but that might not be the only factor since the front links are Power Wagon specific.

Everything being said, I won't argue that my truck ends up over its payload capacity when fully loaded and towing, and hovers right at max when we load up 3-4 people and gear for a day mountain biking. The air bags helped tremendously when towing, but aren't needed at any other time.

If I were to look at a slide in camper, the Power Wagon would be replaced by something more fitting for that role. Since that is not my plan, I feel it is the best option for my needs.

**Side Note**

The Ford F-250/350 Tremor with the 7.3l might have been the truck I chose had it been available when I got my truck. Offers most of the off road capability of a Power Wagon without the payload hit. But since I got my truck in late 2018 there was no other options in the HD off road truck.

The owner of AEV knows his stuff he works with OEM engineers ie Jeep, ram, chevy and gmc. What he told me is the front under heavy braking the articulinks could cause the truck to list (think ships). regarding tires my good buddy put on ridge grapplers the same time I put on my Toyo RT's. His looked bigger but when we put the tape measure to them mine was a tiny bit bigger. Mine were smoother and quieter, both on the same AEV salta wheels. It really was crazy because I would have bet his would have been taller than mine.
5688EC5D-299A-4C60-B022-FEA43A98F0D8_1_201_a.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles