Ram 2500 long term reliability

Looking like my needs might be changing, and I will be moving to an HD rig. If the Power Wagon had more payload, I’d probably go in that direction. As it is, I’m looking at a Tradesman 2500 crew cab shorter bed. I have zero experience with HD trucks. I’m looking for long term experiences (150-200k miles and beyond) with Cummins and Hemi trucks.

I know the Cummins would have less payload because it’s much heavier. What are the payload ratings of the 2500 vs 3500 diesel and gas?
Would I need to jump to a 3500 to get 2500lb+ of payload with the Cummins?

I wanted to get opinions of people who use these trucks in the same way I do—remote camping, exploring, towing, etc. I do my own maintenance and like to keep vehicles a very long time.

GeorgeHayduke

We have a 2016 Ram 2500 with the Cummins and have put 85000 hard miles on it. It's carried a slide in camper of some sort most of its life. Has been extremely reliable for us, just oil changes, fuel filters, and tires. Never any emissions systems issues, but you do have to work the diesels hard and get them hot. Still on the original brakes even.

Our payload is 2200, figure closer to 3000 for gas 2500 and 4000+ for a 3500. The 3500 diesels get a higher GVWR than the gassers so the payload comes out roughly the same. If you go with a gasser, try for 2019+ as they got a much improved transmission. For diesels you can get the bulletproof Aisin trans on the 3500 high output, but as they say, it "pulls like a train, shifts like a bus."

In retrospect I wish I would have gone with a 3500 instead of a 2500 for suspension design rather than just payload sticker. The rear coils on a 2500 ride great but don't handle high center of gravity loads like a truck camper very well. We've added timbrens and a swaybar and it works fine, but leafs would have made more sense for us. If just towing the 2500 suspension is great though.

Overall, I think the Ram HD platform is really solid and reliable. Our other vehicle is a 5th gen 4runner and that's has more issues than the Ram.

billiebob

Go gas, diesel offers no advantages today unless you want to tow 20K#.
Otherwise, 3500 series Ram, Ford, Chev are virtually identical.
And better built every year. Pick the one you like.

ps for a top heavy wide camper a dually might be nice.

IMG_1387.jpeg

Last edited:
We have a 2016 Ram 2500 with the Cummins and have put 85000 hard miles on it. It's carried a slide in camper of some sort most of its life. Has been extremely reliable for us, just oil changes, fuel filters, and tires. Never any emissions systems issues, but you do have to work the diesels hard and get them hot. Still on the original brakes even.

Our payload is 2200, figure closer to 3000 for gas 2500 and 4000+ for a 3500. The 3500 diesels get a higher GVWR than the gassers so the payload comes out roughly the same. If you go with a gasser, try for 2019+ as they got a much improved transmission. For diesels you can get the bulletproof Aisin trans on the 3500 high output, but as they say, it "pulls like a train, shifts like a bus."

In retrospect I wish I would have gone with a 3500 instead of a 2500 for suspension design rather than just payload sticker. The rear coils on a 2500 ride great but don't handle high center of gravity loads like a truck camper very well. We've added timbrens and a swaybar and it works fine, but leafs would have made more sense for us. If just towing the 2500 suspension is great though.

Overall, I think the Ram HD platform is really solid and reliable. Our other vehicle is a 5th gen 4runner and that's has more issues than the Ram.
Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not sure I would need a diesel. It seems like the only real benefit is towing heavy like @billiebob said or towing at altitude. I have read a lot on the Ram forum. There aren't a lot of users with the same kind of experience that you'd find here, but it does seem that the 6.4 Hemi is hit or miss. The issues it can have seem to be fairly common.

For context, I'm driving a Tundra, putting 18-20k miles per year on it. It is solid as a rock, but I'm looking at a travel trailer that is a bit outside of what I'm comfortable towing with a half ton.

Any time someone "upgrades" to bigger I ask why, are you sure bigger is an upgrade???
A growing family is a done deal maybe.,,,, but empty nesters should re evaluate.
Smaller is often better.
Agreed. This will be my family’s first travel trailer. Its gross weight is well within my truck’s tow rating, and my GCWR would be within my truck’s limits, too. But the tongue weight loaded up would put me over payload.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not sure I would need a diesel. It seems like the only real benefit is towing heavy like @billiebob said or towing at altitude. I have read a lot on the Ram forum. There aren't a lot of users with the same kind of experience that you'd find here, but it does seem that the 6.4 Hemi is hit or miss. The issues it can have seem to be fairly common.

For context, I'm driving a Tundra, putting 18-20k miles per year on it. It is solid as a rock, but I'm looking at a travel trailer that is a bit outside of what I'm comfortable towing with a half ton.
What are the specs on the travel trailer?

Hegear

I own a 19 Cummins and a21 power wagon. The biggest problem with the 6.4 is the gas mileage. I towed a 8000lb trailer once with the power wagon and got 6.5mpg. I would get around 11 with the Cummins. I do live in Utah with lots of change In elevation.

jadmt

ignore button user
I like my 2020 Power Wagon and it is super comfortable. My wife has a newer CRV touring that gets around 30mpg and we opted to take the PW on our latest 3000 mile trip even with the price of gas just because it is so comfortable. But in reality I have had more issues with this truck than any of my other vehicles put together and I have had a lot of new vehicles that I put through the paces and never really had any issues.. I bought my first new Ford F150 in 1977. Currently waiting on a new front driveshaft and rear transfer case pinion seal and it has been over 6 weeks and still no parts. Front driver's seat is already splitting on the sides. (I am average size) and I have never had a vehicle that had the seat start cracking at just over 20,000 miles. I paid attention to the trucks towing big campers and 5th wheels and I would say Duramax in either chevy or GMC were the most popular truck I saw towing big campers by far and Ford HD and Ram were about equal.

I own a 19 Cummins and a21 power wagon. The biggest problem with the 6.4 is the gas mileage. I towed a 8000lb trailer once with the power wagon and got 6.5mpg. I would get around 11 with the Cummins. I do live in Utah with lots of change In elevation.
I’m in a Tundra, so I get it. Lol. My perspective has been that I’d rather pay for gas and go anywhere I want and come back every single time than have to deal with repairs on a regular basis.

I like my 2020 Power Wagon and it is super comfortable. My wife has a newer CRV touring that gets around 30mpg and we opted to take the PW on our latest 3000 mile trip even with the price of gas just because it is so comfortable. But in reality I have had more issues with this truck than any of my other vehicles put together and I have had a lot of new vehicles that I put through the paces and never really had any issues.. I bought my first new Ford F150 in 1977. Currently waiting on a new front driveshaft and rear transfer case pinion seal and it has been over 6 weeks and still no parts. Front driver's seat is already splitting on the sides. (I am average size) and I have never had a vehicle that had the seat start cracking at just over 20,000 miles. I paid attention to the trucks towing big campers and 5th wheels and I would say Duramax in either chevy or GMC were the most popular truck I saw towing big campers by far and Ford HD and Ram were about equal.
That sucks. Especially if you bought it new so you have to wait around for the dealership to take care of it all for you under warranty. Warranty work might be included in the purchase price of your truck, but it is expensive in terms of the time you spend waiting on it to be done without being able to use your truck. My time is very precious to me.

I see lots of people saying online that newer Rams are much more reliable, but there are a lot of stories like this on the forums, too. This is what makes me so hesitant to switch. I’d almost rather not get a trailer and keep the Tundra. But my family really wants one, and knowing us, we’d need the space of this 30’ 7600 GVWR one that I’m looking at. Some friends have the same one. I need to hook it up and see how it does. They pull it with a Nissan Armada Platinum. :oops: They obviously do not share my concerns.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Gross weight 7600, Curb weight 5400, tongue weight 700. 30’ long.

But that tongue weight has got to be completely empty. Loaded up, I’d imagine it’s closer to 1000lb. This would put me over payload with my family of 5 plus our dog in the truck. Sucks. It’s well within my towing and GCWR limits.
Yep. Based on those numbers I would venture that's mor that a F150 / 1500 could handle. Personally then I'd go F350/3500. It's the same foot print, cab, box size etc as a 250 / 2500 anyway....

Further more if it were me it would be an F350 with the 7.3. But, that's personal preference. Looks like the Super Duty will be making some changes in the 2023 model year.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
That sucks. Especially if you bought it new so you have to wait around for the dealership to take care of it all for you under warranty. Warranty work might be included in the purchase price of your truck, but it is expensive in terms of the time you spend waiting on it to be done without being able to use your truck. My time is very precious to me.

I see lots of people saying online that newer Rams are much more reliable, but there are a lot of stories like this on the forums, too. This is what makes me so hesitant to switch. I’d almost rather not get a trailer and keep the Tundra. But my family really wants one, and knowing us, we’d need the space of this 30’ 7600 GVWR one that I’m looking at. Some friends have the same one. I need to hook it up and see how it does. They pull it with a Nissan Armada Platinum. :oops: They obviously do not share my concerns.
Is there not another smaller trailer than 30' that would work with your Tundra? Maybe a 21 or 22 footer with a slide and bunks?

jadmt

ignore button user

I would have no issue pulling a 7600 gvwr trailer. mine has almost 11000 lb tow capacity. Fortunately I am able to use my truck while waiting for the parts. front drive shaft only turns while in 4wd so other than slinging grease all over when in 4wd no big deal. the rear seal is just seeping at this point and not yet leaking.
Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 8.45.24 AM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier