Ram 2500 gasoline extended gas tank help

RaptorRob

Hey Gents,

I recently moved into a new power wagon and am not impressed with the fuel tank capacity. I've spent some time searching and calling and haven't been able to find a replacement tank that is larger than the stock. I was used to my 500+ mile range in my raptor stock. Trying to get back to that.

Thanks for the help.

I believe the mounting for the fuel tank for gas and diesel versions are the same so you might be able to do a titan tank or something similar made for diesels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
lxa1z7b4gnk9li2givod.jpg

1577920009203.jpeg

My point is that truck gas tanks are often small for a reason. The bigger they are, the more likely they are to burst or tear in an accident. Titan doesn't list it for the exact same reason why the OEM tank is nowhere near as big as it can be. My truck has room for 100 gallons easy, but my tank is only 38g.

I considered installing a large diesel tank in my truck. But changed my mind when I thought of liability. If I ever have fuel issues, I'll upgrade to a diesel. For now 25g of a 38g tank is more than enough.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
lxa1z7b4gnk9li2givod.jpg

View attachment 558944

My point is that truck gas tanks are often small for a reason. The bigger they are, the more likely they are to burst or tear in an accident. Titan doesn't list it for the exact same reason why the OEM tank is nowhere near as big as it can be. My truck has room for 100 gallons easy, but my tank is only 38g.

I considered installing a large diesel tank in my truck. But changed my mind when I thought of liability. If I ever have fuel issues, I'll upgrade to a diesel. For now 25g of a 38g tank is more than enough.

I’m good with ~600 highway mile range, whatever tank size that turns out to be. This will typically gives me adequate “backcountry” range where gas fill ups are infrequent.

Good to see you on here again, by the way.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Suburbans had 40 and 42 gallon tanks for years. Excursions have 44 gallon tanks. I had a F350 hot shot rig with a V10 and a 50+ gallon tank. I'm sure Titan doesn't want the liability of using gas in their tank. I'm also sure you could make it work if you're comfortable with the price and accepting any liability that may be involved.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have a PW and the only way you are going to get a 500 mile range is ... Beats me.

I called Titan years ago about installing one of their diesel tanks in my PW and they would not even discuss it with me. Probably doable, but I would expect some problems with emission control inspections in states like California. Strangely enough, the loony liberals in Washington state eliminated their emissions testing program, effective today, because they realize it's no longer necessary. Logic is that all cars being sold now already pass federal emissions regs, the air is pretty clean, and most older vehicles are already off the road. So why spend time and money chasing a problem that no longer exists? Amazing clarity.

glock7018

The one of the reasons why no one makes a larger tank for gas trucks is emissions. When you have a larger than stock tank the truck will think there is a vapor leak due to the extra empty volume when the tank is almost empty. This will cause the truck to throw a code for something like gas cap not tight. I was in the same position as you. I had a 08 ford F250 with a V10 that had a 26 gallon tank. To extend my range I put a RDS transfer tank in the bed of the truck. I T'ed into the stock filler neck with a brass t fitting. With a normally closed solenoid valve on the drain plug I ran a fuel line down to a pump and filter that would pump gas into the main tank while driving. And since it had that valve on the aux tank, the stock tank still vented through the factory set up. It worked really good. The only thing I would of done different is install a inertia switch in line so in case you get into an accident, the pump will shut off. I have pics somewhere in case you are interested.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I have a Transfer Flow additional fuel tank system in my 2001 4WD Express ATF van with both tanks mounted under the van. Not Cheap however it does work well.

At almost 70 gallons of total fuel capacity with automatic fuel transfer between tanks getting 13-14 MPG I have a 850-900 mile fuel range.

Nobody has a bladder that big!

nater

Adventurer
Very relevant to my interests. Currently looking at brown davis, I just need to email them, but I beleive their tank is rated for gas.

The other choice is titan (either the spare tire tank with a new pump, or a larger main tank) - but I have only seen people talk about how this is possible, never seen it done

Oilbrnr

I've thought about the BD tank as well. Not sure what the cost would be, or cost to get it here even if it would work. The sender/pump would probably not be gas friendly... Might be just cheaper to have a fabricator, that is not concerned with DOT regs, just make one here. Going to talk to the guy that is doing some work on my rear bumper about this next week.

chet6.7

Explorer
I've thought about the BD tank as well. Not sure what the cost would be, or cost to get it here even if it would work. The sender/pump would probably not be gas friendly... Might be just cheaper to have a fabricator, that is not concerned with DOT regs, just make one here. Going to talk to the guy that is doing some work on my rear bumper about this next week.
What are you doing to the rear bumper?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles