Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Feedback

Dalko43

Explorer
I've had my 03 for 8 years now. Lots of off-roading. They are very capable rigs with a skilled driver.
Mileage for me on 35" mt's with a 6spd and 4:10 gears is around 21 on the freeway at 65mph. 17 if I am towing heavy. Front end components suck but there are lots of ways to fix that. Manual hub conversion saves lots of wear and tear and also improves fuel economy and turning radius. Injectors are usually good for 100-120k miles. Buy a FASS...... Simple mods like intake and exhaust make a drastic improvement. You can fit 35" tires without a lift if you use your stock wheels. They will rub on your control arms but just a little bit. The G56 is a good tranny but not quite as strong as the earlier NV5600 mostly due to the G56 having an aluminum case rather than the cast iron of the NV.

Interesting. I was inclined to get a G56 tranny over the NV5600 since it's newer and has slightly higher low-end gearing. Have there been any reliability issues with the G56?

What kind of off roading have you done? I'm hoping to be able to drive over most of the forest service and unmaintained trails that are throughout the west. Ever have an issue with track width and/or sinking in the mud?

Last edited:

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Care to clarify this statement?

I'm not looking to run something like the Rubicon. Out of curiosity, have any full-sized rigs gotten through that? As I understand it, vehicle width is a real issue in some places.
I am looking to drive anything and everything in terms of trails/road that fall short of Rubicon-type trails.

Is a 3/4 ton rig going to be too heavy and big to meet those expectations?

Plenty of full size rigs have made it through the Rubicon. Most are likely short beds with an body protection or "body by rocks" and big tires but they do it.

Darrell

4x4junkie

Explorer
My dad has a '02 2500 w/24V 5.9L & 6-speed that I've driven a few times. With stock-type all-season tires (Michelin ATS or something, 265/75R16, one size up from what should be stock) it did a heck of a lot better than what I would've expected on some long-neglected (rutted/rocky) forest roads up in No Cal and So Oregon. The only thing I really noticed was the throttle was quite twitchy when bouncing over rocky terrain (the truck would start a cycle of lurching back & forth if you didn't plant your right foot hard & steady against the side of the trans tunnel). Perhaps a stiffer throttle return spring could resolve this issue, I have not looked into it at all.

Given my (albeit brief) offroad experience with it, I'd say it should plenty capable of handling some decent terrain short of any serious rock crawling as you mention, especially if you plan to upfit it some (lockers, better tires, etc.).

cliniford

Observer
Interesting. I was inclined to get a G56 tranny over the NV5600 since it's newer and has slightly higher low-end gearing. Have there been any reliability issues with the G56?

What kind of off roading have you done? I'm hoping to be able to drive over most of the forest service and unmaintained trails that are throughout the west. Ever have an issue with track width and/or sinking in the mud?
There is nothing wrong with the G56. The aluminum case becomes a factor when high hp is sought out but there is a strengthening kit for it. It does have a dual mass clutch which is prone to problems but nothing a new clutch doesn't solve.
Never had a problem with mud or track width. Only problem off road I have ever had was my own fault. Hunting up in the hills in the winter on bald tires and slid off the side of the road. With good tires these trucks go places they shouldn't.

Dalko43

Explorer
With that said, I'm looking for owner feedback on a few issues:
1) I've read the 5.9L cummins (stock) can get about 18 mpg city, and 22 mpg highway. Is that accurate? Yes you can expect this. I have gotten 23 with my 94 and a 1k load.

2) Besides possible injector failures, are there any big issues with the 2005-2007 cummins? The 48re auto transmission is weak. 2007 1/2 trucks had the much better 68rfe transmission. Wheel hop can be an issue. A two link kit will help quite a bit.

3) Will this rig be able to go down most 4x4 trails and roads, despite its size and weight? I'm not looking to turn this into a dedicated rock-crawler, but at the same time, I want to be able to get through/over restrictive terrain. You should have no real problems unless you go with a long wheelbase.

4) Any issues with this engine starting up in cold weather (-25 C and below) in stock form? I know the engine relies on a block heater instead of glow plugs. Do people in cold climates usually get aftermarket heaters for this engine? The engine uses a heater plate in place of glow plugs.

I'm willing to live with the maintenance and reliability of a 10 year old truck. My biggest concern honestly is whether its size and weight (especially the added weight of the cummins) will hinder my ability to explore and drive remote roads and trails. I'm getting this vehicle to explore and camp, among other reasons, so if it can't go where I need it go, then I might have to reconsider.

Edit: I forgot to ask - 5) Is it pretty much a given that I'll need to upgrade/swap out the front suspension and steering components? I've heard that the Ram 2500's prior to 2013 had an issue known as the "death wobble." Death wobble is attributed to worn bushings and front end components. Should not be too much of an issue as long as the steering components and bushings are in good shape.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I have a 2006 3500 diesel, look at the 3500 because of the extra 1000lbs payload. Still srw short box. 210000 miles. Front end every 100k, drive shafts every 50k. Lots of people claim 20mpg, if you drive 60 you'll get 18. Empty. 24mpg is 800 miles a tank. Maybe 550 to a tank is realistic. So for problems lots of electrical problems, if it's never been chipped the transmission and injectors should be fine. Just the front end wears out and needs a rebuild, same for the front drive shaft.

I had thought about the 3500, but as far as I could tell, the only difference between the 3500 and 2500 for that generation was a slightly beefed up rear suspension (a few more leaf springs). Is that accurate? If so, I think the 2500's setup will suffice for my purposes, but if I need to carry weight, I could probably add more leaf springs via the aftermarket.

There is nothing wrong with the G56. The aluminum case becomes a factor when high hp is sought out but there is a strengthening kit for it. It does have a dual mass clutch which is prone to problems but nothing a new clutch doesn't solve.
Never had a problem with mud or track width. Only problem off road I have ever had was my own fault. Hunting up in the hills in the winter on bald tires and slid off the side of the road. With good tires these trucks go places they shouldn't.

Thanks for the info on that transmission, I had thought, for whatever reason, that the G56 was the more desirable one to get, but maybe I should take another look at the NV5600.

As for the Ram's off road capabilities, that's good to hear. I imagine 90% of my driving will be on paved or gravel roads that are somewhat maintained, but I would like to be able to explore more rugged and remote roads without having to switch into another vehicle. Based on feedback from you and others (though some posters disagree) the Ram should be plenty capable of doing that.

The only reason I asked about track width is because I know certain routes (for example some of the famous Alpine routes in Colorado) get very narrow and I wasn't sure if a Ram would be able to tackle some of them. And I asked about the mud because I had read that heavy vehicles tend to suffer in very deep mud...I'm not looking to go mud bogging, but there are some trails/roads in the northeast and northwest that are just inherently muddy due to the prevailing climate. I wasn't sure if the Cummins' added weight over a gasoline engine would be an issue for some of those trails.

Badin

I had the 99 5 speed short bed quad cab 4x4, still in family. Get 2 sets of heavy duty tire chains for front and back, and your mods end there. 19.5 mpg is average. No cold start issues, but use cold weather fuel additive for November elk hunts. Only concern is to watch is side hills, if the sucker starts to go there's no stopping it.

c7train

Observer
I JUUUUST bought an 03 2500 cummins 6 speed manual (short bed 4 door blah blah) and have enjoyed driving it thus far. I also have a 98 12v quad cab short bed, and my friends are wondering why I now have two trucks. I enjoyed the bit about "want" vs "need" because I can't rightly give a reason for having both, one nice and new with low miles, one not? Hmmm. I'm glad to hear that one of these trucks could do Rubicon, not that I'll ever do that, but it's good ammo for the land cruiser driver who thinks his vehicle is the only trail worthy platform on the planet. Granted I've owned 5 toyotas and likely a 97 80 series with lockers cannot be beat for the price. It's just fun to banter with a crew of like-minded folks about trucks and such. Great thread here with lots of good information on a truck I don't know much about just yet. How worried should a guy be about putting a FASS/Airdog etc fuel system on?

gmacmt

Adventurer
Locking front and rear might be more than you need right off the bat.

If it was me I would look at doing a carli kit instead of locking it right off, or lock one axle and put in suspension too. Big trucks ride rough compared to your 4runner.

3/4 ton diesel is a big truck. Honestly I wouldn't buy one unless I needed it, still daily my old taco with no plans of selling it soon. Are you thinking of putting in a camper?

Inline6

Adventurer
I've had my 04.5 6 speed quad long since new. Just over 100k

for maint, just ball joints and the regular service items. The steering is getting a bit loose,Maine to loom at that.

For upgrades, 37s, free spin, fass, suspension, bumper, winch and other dodads.

It's been a very reliable truck I don't hesitate to take any where. Just get in and drive it. Not a tight trail rig, but forest service roads are no big deal.

I doubt you will have many if any regrets.

Do I need a diesel, yes when purchased towed allot... Now I don't tow as much but still like the power and economy.

OR2BAJA

Observer
The 03+ Dodge HD is the best platform. Hydro formed frame, solid front axle, awesome diesel motor, reliability. A couple quick fixes of the front end steering and suspension and you are rockin out.

The dodge diesel is as capable of an expo rig as it gets, size is your only concern. My truck is built for high speed cruising in dirt but I could simply swap the rear leafs and put a camper in the back and drive to Argentina.

cliniford

Observer
I JUUUUST bought an 03 2500 cummins 6 speed manual (short bed 4 door blah blah) and have enjoyed driving it thus far. I also have a 98 12v quad cab short bed, and my friends are wondering why I now have two trucks. I enjoyed the bit about "want" vs "need" because I can't rightly give a reason for having both, one nice and new with low miles, one not? Hmmm. I'm glad to hear that one of these trucks could do Rubicon, not that I'll ever do that, but it's good ammo for the land cruiser driver who thinks his vehicle is the only trail worthy platform on the planet. Granted I've owned 5 toyotas and likely a 97 80 series with lockers cannot be beat for the price. It's just fun to banter with a crew of like-minded folks about trucks and such. Great thread here with lots of good information on a truck I don't know much about just yet. How worried should a guy be about putting a FASS/Airdog etc fuel system on?

Factory Dodge lift pumps are junk. CP3 and injectors are expensive and will not live long when a lift pump fails. FASS is cheap insurance against failure of the cp3 and injectors.

Dalko43

Explorer
Locking front and rear might be more than you need right off the bat.

If it was me I would look at doing a carli kit instead of locking it right off, or lock one axle and put in suspension too. Big trucks ride rough compared to your 4runner.

3/4 ton diesel is a big truck. Honestly I wouldn't buy one unless I needed it, still daily my old taco with no plans of selling it soon. Are you thinking of putting in a camper?

Yeah, I kind of took it for granted that I'd need to improve the suspension, so I didn't even bother mentioning it. I agree front and rear lockers are perhaps a little bit down on the priority list right off the bat.

I know this rig would be a total overkill for daily driver use; I'm still not sure if I would keep my 4runner or buy another cheap car for daily driver use. No plans to put in a camper. I really want to keep the cargo bed free for hauling cargo, pets, harvested animals. That's one of the reasons I am looking to get out of my 4runner...the lack of a cargo bed is really becoming an issue for what I like to do.

ulyist

Yes the main difference between a 2500 and a 3500 srw is the GVWR. I think 8800 to 9990 lbs. truck is over 7000lbs. Take 4 adults, full tank of fuel and a quad in the back and you're pushing legal. That's why I went 3500.

"Off road" means a lot to different people. If you mean exploring/ overlanding it does fine. If you mean mud and rocks you should get the right tool for the job. Or a big winch and a body man. I've had a FJ40 and a Tacoma locked on 35s and just had to keep pushing further to have fun. The dodge is way different but gets me within walking distance of every where the dedicated wheelers did. And I had to tow them to the trail head with the dodge.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Try to find an 06....easily the best year. Everything was sorted out and other than a front end recall, no real issues. This is the year Mercedes owned Chrysler and they poured $$ into the truck line. Absolutely join "Turbo Diesel Register" and get the magazine. Huge help with anything Dodge Diesel. Good Luck

BTW...My 2006 has 180K+ miles, bigger tires and front end free spin conversion and I average 18mpg on highway.....Towing 6000# trailer I get 14-16mpg.

www.rvbprecision.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior