Ram 2500/3500 Info

SoTxAg06

The only concerning thing I noticed on the truck i test drove was the mpg on the dash......8.9 mpg

What’s the specs on it? I get that if I’m doing stop and go all day with a 4 Wheeler in the bed. My rolling average over 16K is 11.43.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oilbrnr

Yeah, I just did a round trip this weekend from Phoenix to Flagstaff, a change of about 4500', 280 miles, maintaining 75-80 unless dictated by law or traffic. Heavy headwinds coming back home today, and my PW weighs over 9,100. 11.9 indicated. Normally I'd get 13-13.5 on that same trip.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I certainly wouldnt worry about test drive MPG.

When I first got my 6.2 Ford I was seeing less than 8MPG.
I was having too much fun with the skinny pedal, and happy V8 noises.

SoTxAg06

Leveled truck on 35s, quad cab short bed, with 3.73s

It’s likely that the reading was 1 mpg or so off. That’s about where mine is with 295s, so a true 35 may be a little further off.

My truck went in to the dealership today for the new torque converter. Will see how long it takes, and if that’s the only problem.

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The transfer case (Borg-Warner 44-47) on my '16 PW is easily an equal to my 80 series Lexus if not better. If coming to a complete stop to engage 4lo is an issue for you then, well hmm. I've never had any balking either putting it in Lo or taking it out. 4Hi is a two finger operation and you know it's in. Now, the bigger question, though I've not come across it in a negative way, nor have I spent any time looking, is the CAD. But that would be the case for any new RAM.

What’s equal about them? The lx t case is gear drive.

SoTxAg06

Pretty crazy how much cheaper the Ram 1500s are with the 5.7L!!!

I can save $7k-$10k going with a half ton truck......but I am not sold yet

Driving a 1500 while my 2500 is in the shop. It’s a 2wd with the 5.7, not sure on the gearing. Doing stop and go driving, I am averaging just below 13. Doing the same loop in my 2500, I get closer to 10. I haven’t changed my driving style any. I’m guessing being 4wd would drop the mpg on the 1500 by 1 mpg or so.

SoTxAg06

Update:

Torque converter was replaced this week, but it didn’t fully fix the problem I took the truck to the dealership for originally. There was a slightly shudder coming from the transmission which was fixed by replacing the TC. Everything tested to factory specs after replacement.

That being said, my initial suspicion was correct, and there is a issue with the rear differential. Parts are supposed to be ordered next week to address it. Talking to the service guy, it sounds like the issue is in the lsd. Not sure what part exactly at this time.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Yeah, I just did a round trip this weekend from Phoenix to Flagstaff, a change of about 4500', 280 miles, maintaining 75-80 unless dictated by law or traffic. Heavy headwinds coming back home today, and my PW weighs over 9,100. 11.9 indicated. Normally I'd get 13-13.5 on that same trip.
That's heavy. My 2500 Ram diesel regcab is #6500 unladen. You must have a camper on your back.

D45

Explorer
interesting, the rear AAM 11.50 seems to be pretty stout and bulletproof

I never had issues with that axle in my 2004 3500

D45

Explorer
The 5.7 and 6.4 both drive completely different in my opinion

For having close power specs, the 6.4 is a beast compared to the 5.7

The 5.7 still had a ton of good usable power

Forum statistics

Threads
Members