Ram 2500 06 Mega Cab Build

lzpup

Observer
new rims and tires
newrimsandtires.png

lzpup

Observer
These wheels did not come in a color I liked, so had them powder coated a bronze flake , came out great. Local shop.

lzpup

Observer
Progress - Camper and Bed

IMG_2834.jpg

Ran up to American RV and Took delivery of my Hawk Shell. Guys were great to work with and did a great job on the install. Choosing a custom flatbed certainly set the day up for some challenges. A few things to tweak on the camper setup.
1. The height of the camper came in a little taller than I wanted. The flatbed models form fourwheel put in an underbed storage to take up some of the room. I think I have +10 inches over the cab and I was told 4-6 is better. Fuel economy and weight up high might be an impact. Will have to see if I can either lower the camper (preferred) or fill the space.
2. The camper has polyurethane bumpers at the front which were not accounted for in the spec, so the camper needs a small bar at the front (mini headache rack) and to set back 2-3 inches
3. Tire clearance is enough , but could be increased, may notch. The driver side is a little lower with the furnace and stove on that side.
4. Going to build a few custom boxes, plan is to put boxes to fill what used to be the bed on the sides and one under in front and one under in back
5. Step, while it is nice to have the huge step (came with original bed). I lost my hitch and am thinking I want a more low profile rear bumper.
6. Rear tire carrier (need a spare)
7. Bed rug under camper to keep in place (dont' want it to add height though)
8. Paint flatbed black after boxes built

lzpup

Observer
Stereo upgraded finally. Pioneer NEX4100 , wanted Apple Carplay and backup camera. Put the unit in, but skipped the camera for now, and Carplay is giving me trouble.
IMG_2861.jpg

jkilgore11

Adventurer
Awesome rig! Thanks for keeping us up to date. Currently, I have a F250 with a Hawk slide-in. For the past couple of months I have been researching how to swap to a flat bed or service bed to get more storage without pulling a trailer. Can't wait to see your progress. FYI, the past couple of photos have been sideways.

35xj

Adventurer
Nice build. I just got my flatbed installed yesterday

JKilgore I'd be happy for you to come check mine out. I'm in candler

lzpup

Observer
Awesome rig! Thanks for keeping us up to date. Currently, I have a F250 with a Hawk slide-in. For the past couple of months I have been researching how to swap to a flat bed or service bed to get more storage without pulling a trailer. Can't wait to see your progress. FYI, the past couple of photos have been sideways.

thanks , definitely some additional work to go. You are ahead of the game with having the camper first, makes fitting easier :) , interested to see what you end up with. Yeah, can't figure out the sideways photos, I might have taken them sideways. i'll have to see if I can fix it.

35xj

Adventurer
Izpup. What is your plan for side boxes? I can't find anything that fills up the 20 height gap between the bed and the camper

Kilgore. Pm me whenever you want to take a look. I'm out in LA again for the next week, but then I'm planning to be home for a while

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94