Ram 1500 payload

Mpl1978

I am looking at a 2017 ram 1500 and have some questions about payload. I am a family of 4 and plan on adding a leitner rack and boxes and perhaps a decked system. I want to add a RTT to the Leitner rack. This will be my first rig - and will be used only only weekends and longer trips over the summer. Do you think I am going to have a payload issue?

D

Deleted member 9101

Well...that all depends... How much crap are you going to bring with you? Are you bringing gallons of water, extra fuel, fire wood, every camping accessory imaginable, etc?

If you use a little common sense, you'll be fine. Although, at least one person will suggest getting a 3/4 ton....just to be on the safe side.

The Ram has roughly a 1700lb payload. With the DECKED system weighing in at 230lbs, the Leitner racks 70lbs, and the rtt at 150lbs roughly, you should have plenty of payload left for your family and gear. Especially if you are driving it on the weekends.

phsycle

Adventurer
For my family of 5, I came to the conclusion I needed about 2k lbs of payload to be on the safe side. Not that I'll need that much for every camp out, because weekend trip packing is much different than 3-7 day outings. We also occasionally tow a 5k lb trailer. If you're ever considering towing a trailer, take that into consideration. Also consider the places you'll go. There are plenty of spots here that I can't refuel or resupply with water, so I need to take extra. That adds a lot of weight.

Important to note: Check out the driver's door jamb. It will say exactly what the payload is for that specific truck. Do not rely on specs online.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We also occasionally tow a 5k lb trailer. If you're ever considering towing a trailer, take that into consideration. Also consider the places you'll go. There are plenty of spots here that I can't refuel or resupply with water, so I need to take extra. That adds a lot of weight.

Good point. If this is the case, you'll have to deduct the tongue weight off the remaining payload. Don't forget to deduct for passengers in the truck as well.

Important to note: Check out the driver's door jamb. It will say exactly what the payload is for that specific truck. Do not rely on specs online.
Correct. Every truck is different based on the options it has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94