RAISE THE ROOF...top tent!

Brianj5600

I'll soon be starting a trailer build and would like the tent as low as possible when traveling. I would also like the option of lifting up the tent. I remember seeing a couple, but I'm having trouble finding them again. I'm curious if the people that have built an adjustable height tent platform have any advice on this.

Last edited:

Hoologan

Habitat Ofroad used gas struts to help lift the RTT on a Smitty Scout trailer. Checks the Smittybilt Scout thread.

Pierre C

What I've done is to replace to put 80 pd lift support strut inside pup-tent trailer mast. here's the diving and the fully deployed configurations.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 253
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 237

Hoghead

Observer
I used linear actuators to lift mine up 20'' to annex height. Then wired each motor individually so I don't have to level the trailer anymore, I just drop the stabilizing legs and level my tent frame once its up to height.

Shwane,
How do you handle binding with the uneven lifting?

I used actuators also and have had some mixed results. Worked well at first, but if you have issues with one it causes issues getting it lifted.

Shwane

I haven't had any issues with binding yet, I can control them individually so later if one slows down, I can stop the other three until it catches up. I also sprayed some dry graphite lubricant on my internal tubes.

nated

This is another one I've found that's quite interesting:

The guy is a user here on ExPo, but hasn't replied to my questions.

TroySmith80

Adventurer
This is another one I've found that's quite interesting:

The guy is a user here on ExPo, but hasn't replied to my questions.

That's pretty clever in some ways, but it doesn't look like it would have any stability in the raised (or lowered for that matter) position and would get wrecked pretty quick in actual usage. It's a good start on a proof of concept though. I wonder how he plans to hold it in position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles