RagnarD's M101A3 Build

RagnarD

Adventurer
Was a relatively cold winter here... been hauling mostly firewood but finally got around to adding an M116 rear landing leg. With the smaller tires, when fully collapsed the leg was too long. I removed a few inches then welded the foot back on.

Took a few extra pictures and measurements while trimming since I was not able to locate much info about shortening these legs before starting.

For those curious, the end of the threaded rod started ~ 6" from the bottom of the outer pipe. I could have trimmed the outer pipe to give more adjustment range but didn't think about it until everything was welded back together. Also, if I trimmed the outer pipe, the leg could be unscrewed against a cross member when stowed.

Some oak.

i-dMZnqhJ-L.jpg

And two loads of pecan :)

i-TmBTR7s-L.jpg

i-dtvGHkL-L.jpg

Unscrewed all the way out.

i-rfBK5Sq-L.jpg

i-shmzgVt-L.jpg

Ground the weld down so I could screw it inside the outer pipe. Drilled three 7/16 holes in rear of frame then installed the original hardware.

i-sZtRrs4-L.jpg

The foot needs to be unscrewed from bottomed out to clear the cross member. Could have been avoided if I cut a few inches off the outer pipe as well. Not really a big deal since this is approximately where the leg needs to be on level ground.

i-DQddtnb-L.jpg

Replaced the locking pin with something more secure and user friendly.

i-PjP9GmB-L.jpg

Using some of that pecan for what it was it was grown for.

i-jSHpZV4-L.jpg

i-vStmNCw-L.jpg

i-cq58FkR-L.jpg

Last edited:

TFH366

wheel information

RagnarD, I have the same trailer with the same HMMWV 8x6.5 wheels. Can you provide any any additional information on the rims to help me save time and money by not buying the wrong ones. I see they are GM truck wheels. What other info do you have like year and rim sized etc...

Thanks

RagnarD

Adventurer
You will probably have to look for older chevy wheels. Not sure of the year but at some point they switched to metric.

I have a spare wheel and will take some measurements tomorrow.

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
1960's to 2010 GM 8 bolt wheels work best and fit the hub better
they are a 8 on 6.5 lug pattern
Dodge and Ford wheels of that age work too but have larger hub holes.

GM has now changed to a metric pattern like ford.

The wheels pictured are from a 2000 to 2008 GM 2500HD

jruba

Adventurer
Those welds look nice for a first timer! , makes me wanna go get a welder myself ... Really I need to learn how to weld :sombrero:

RagnarD

Adventurer
Thanks Mark and jruba. These are fun projects. Just purchased a 116A3 flatbed and am eyeballing an 1102....

The wheels I used are 16" x 7 3/4" wide with 5" back spacing. Tires are 225 75 16.

i-HkmkfHZ-L.jpg

Headed to the steel yard today to pick up material for a removable roof basket/platform and for a tongue chain tray.

TFH366

1960's to 2010 GM 8 bolt wheels work best and fit the hub better
they are a 8 on 6.5 lug pattern
Dodge and Ford wheels of that age work too but have larger hub holes.

GM has now changed to a metric pattern like ford.

The wheels pictured are from a 2000 to 2008 GM 2500HD

Thanks, very helpful.

GLTHFJ60

Subscribed.

Did you attempt to find 1.5x2" tube for the stake pockets or is there another reason for why you went with the notched 2x2?

RagnarD

Adventurer
I looked for 1.5 x 2" tube and channel. Could not readily find either. You cant just stick a piece of 1.5x2 tube in the pocket anyways. There are some spring clips spot welded on the inside of the pocket. A common issued is people jamming wood down the pocket and not being able to get it out.

Dirtytires

Explorer
Wood changes with the climate. That is why they have steel sleeves on the ends that insert into the trailers.:)
Trailer looks good. Not a fan of black ( too hot) but still you got skills.

RagnarD

Adventurer
Finished/started a few more things.

Roof came out ok and will serve its purpose of a observation platform/support for tarp/cargo/future RTT etc but I would do a few things different next time. I ran the expanded metal the wrong way.... I would probably just use 1/8 plate in the future. The roof is removable and is held onto the rack with 4 bolts. As this trailer becomes more of a purpose build, I think building the rack and roof as one unit would be simpler and save some weight.

i-d5BJrj8-L.jpg

i-xSvSKRM-L.jpg

i-dWF2Pfx-L.jpg

i-t4fVQ5j-L.jpg

i-cL278H2-L.jpg

i-zTWVcTb-L.jpg

On deck is a chain/general storage tray. Most of the tray will be under the body to allow the use of the mil landing leg. Probably could have just used some flat bar and welded the expanded metal to the bottom of the tongue frame.

i-4kqmfrv-L.jpg

i-TZQhPPS-L.jpg

Just tacked together. I will finish the welding on the bench then raise the complete tray into the tongue and hold with 4 stitch welds.

i-gw2v9Fw-L.jpg

On deck deck are 2" receivers under the hoist points in each corner. May get a few crank jacks to slip into the 2" receivers then replace the rear landing leg area with a 2" receiver and spare tire hoist.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles