RagnarD's M101A3 Build

RagnarD

Adventurer
Thanks Matt. Your build is coming along nicely too.

6 more cans of paint and ran the main electrical.

i-FfDjnMB-L.jpg

i-LM9wHps-L.jpg

RagnarD

Adventurer
Pulled the hubs, cleaned out old grease, and then serviced bearings. I use a tip greaser (chainsaw bar) to pack the bearings. You can see that it almost makes it all the way through from just one side.

i-7BS7SWx-L.jpg

Paint can lid for scale.
i-PLkQLCD-L.jpg

i-TBGP7sb-L.jpg

i-ssTJX5d-L.jpg

i-NdwRw7N-L.jpg

Finished up the electrical with 7 pin on rear bumper

i-zRBBfjc-L.jpg

Removed bed from old frame.

i-MQkpzwN-L.jpg

i-kDjxSFh-L.jpg

i-xTVW7DZ-L.jpg

Old bed on new home. Got 12 of the 16 bolts back in. 2 holes would not line up and I could not re-drill without removing the bed. I left 2 out because they were a PITA to take off. Still need to put the flatbed on the old frame.

i-tPzGZZg-L.jpg

i-5PgnpsN-L.jpg

Replaced the rusted rollers on park brake levers with new and smooth stainless tubing.

i-5DkvNw4-L.jpg

Going to take it to the scales this weekend. Any guesses (without rear jacks)?

Last edited:

RagnarD

Adventurer
Wanted to take both trailers to car wash to clean off some old mud. Maiden voyage towing doubles. Pulled fine, would probably do better with a loaded lead trailer. The new frame feels like it has more tongue weight than a stock trailer. The old frame is surprisingly light, so it is easy to un-couple by hand. May have to take the frame to the scales as well. I am guessing less than 800 lbs.

i-kSpR4DN-L.jpg

i-W66MscG-L.jpg

i-F3NWSPh-L.jpg

RagnarD

Adventurer
Going to add some weights as I finish swapping things around. Lots of variables but some decent info for items pictured.

Tan Frame/Extended Tongue = 1060 lbs
Tan Frame with 101A3 Tub = 1580 lbs
Black Frame with 101A3 Tub = 1260 lbs
Black Frame = 740 lbs
101A3 Tub = 520 lbs
116A3 Chassis w/street wheels and tires = TBD
Flatbed Only = TBD
Black Frame w/ tub, rack, roof, tool boxes = TBD
Complete Tan Frame with jacks and tool boxes = TBD

Google/Data Plate Info

101A3 (cargo) = 1520 lbs
116A3 (flatbed) =
116A3 Chassis = 800 lbs

Last edited:

RagnarD

Adventurer
Added some new toolboxes. 83 lbs each..... Made in TX. These are 50" long compared to the previous 43". Covers two stake pockets vs one. With the additional E-track I plan to add, looking at 1760 lbs dry and close to 1800 with rear landing gear.

i-ZVZKM6w-L.jpg

i-5WfXj5n-L.jpg

Made a wheel adapter to make moving the trailer around in the the driveway easier.

i-F2ZWwJD-L.jpg

i-KKZmQx9-L.jpg

i-7L5qhw6-L.jpg

RagnarD

Adventurer
Finished up a few things and took the trailer out on short trip. Very impressed with the reduced sway while towing and ease of backing it up. I can see more of the trailer in my mirrors now as well. Put the old roof/rack on the trailer to deliver to their new home. Thinking of getting an awning to hold me over until I get the other trailer built...

Put the flat bed on my old frame. Towed doubles around town for fun.

i-X2fBLbM-L.jpg

i-vNh5NbH-L.jpg

i-hsRKS3q-L.jpg

i-v6NSdTP-L.jpg

i-BKNwRTb-L.jpg

i-6SkXMXR-L.jpg

i-Kk4XTP5-L.jpg

i-5xsXcKV-L.jpg

i-kp2wC68-L.jpg

i-nGSQL8D-L.jpg

i-8b2dLFn-L.jpg

i-cNRPk5W-L.jpg

sgthawk

Adventurer
Great idea on extending the toung with an adjustable Pintle hook. I will add that idea to my project

RagnarD

Adventurer
A few more pics.

New wheels and tires. The new wheels are a functional improvement because they don't hold water/dog piss. The new tires were mostly an aesthetic improvement. There was nothing wrong with the Dextero tires but these match the tow vehicle and look the part. Went with a slightly larger tire for the added weight capacity. The 245-75-16 added ~1/2" height compared to the 225-75-16.

i-r2W58Z9-L.jpg

i-mGHgPX8-L.jpg

Made a few new stakes/hammock poles/awning mount. Bought a new counter sink bit. The awning can slide up and down the stakes. I just use a 5/8" hitch pin for the hammock rope to rest on or a D-ring and 1/4" pin.

i-cgvnGBZ-L.jpg

i-vSXcJQh-L.jpg

i-LDzVVC8-L.jpg

i-mT3Vq4f-L.jpg

i-MrDwVqF-L.jpg

i-ctCT67S-L.jpg

i-kkXCmxt-L.jpg

i-mJcp6tj-L.jpg

i-tzz2gQP-L.jpg

i-MwgFzzG-L.jpg

i-LsJskcz-L.jpg

i-xG5BDG8-L.jpg

i-2MRxK4g-L.jpg

Last edited:

hamthis

Observer
I really like the Hammock stand from the front of the truck.

Can't go anywhere with out my blackbird warbonnet camping hammock.

Great Build!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior