Radio antenna issue

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I am not shure where to post this...

At work we have a 6'2" parking garage, and I hit every beam on the way to my 5th floor parking spot with my radio antenna. The problem is that the whacking from the what seems like millions of support beams loosens my radio antenna. As a quick fix I am thinking of adding some thread lock to prevent stripping the threads. Will the thread lock interfere with the antenna's reception?

Wil

asteffes

Explorer
flyingwil said:
I am not shure where to post this...

At work we have a 6'2" parking garage, and I hit every beam on the way to my 5th floor parking spot with my radio antenna. The problem is that the whacking from the what seems like millions of support beams loosens my radio antenna. As a quick fix I am thinking of adding some thread lock to prevent stripping the threads. Will the thread lock interfere with the antenna's reception?

Wil

Too much will disrupt the flow of electricity and thus signal through the connection. If you want to use loctite, I would apply it to the last few threads, near the top of the threads on the antenna. This should leave a good amount of the rest of the threading clean to make a good connection.

flyingwil

Cool thanks guys! I was just looking for a quick fix, so to say. I have tried cranking down as tight as it will go with a wrench, but it still loosens in the garage after a few trips to work. I was trying to avoid buying a new antenna.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Don't park in the garage? hehehe, or how about airing down before you go in the garage, and then air up when you leave work?

Sorry, Wil, just some smart ****** comments, I am feeling a bit ornery this morning.

I actually have a story about parking garages and antenna's, but I will share that around a campfire.:camping:

+ d

Adventurer
wil, my grand cherokee came with a fixed antenna as well...which really irked me. so i "shaved" it.

i bought a rubber shorty antenna, rerouted the base and wiring to the shroud at the base of the windshield, and put a plug in the left over hole.

its not the best solution, but its a cleaner look look overall. funny thing is i actually get much better reception! and immeasurably better gas mileage!

flyingwil

Interesting solution, David... I love thinking outside the box. My father in-law bent his antenna on his Tundra to make it fit in his garage at home, and that just might be a solution, but with a snorkel in the near future, I am a bit afraid to bend it. I think I should just go XM again and not have to worry about an antenna... now if only I could convince the wife that I need the XM back... Well In short I am going to go try a bit of thread lock and see what happens. I have used thread lock in car audio cable busses and am leaning on the side that it will have little interference with the reception, but then again all I need is a small amount.

Thanks for the input!

Wil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94