Radflo + OME Leaf Springs Installed

702krawler

Adventurer
I have a 2011 Xterra Pro-4x. After only 30,000 miles, I discovered two leaking OEM Bilstein shocks (one front and one rear). I also had the same complaints everyone else seems to about the rear OEM springs being too soft.

To remedy the situation, I ordered Radflo front coilovers along with OME medium duty Dakar leaf springs and Radflo emulsion shocks for the rear.

The installation was pretty straightforward. The rear probably took me and a friend about 2.5 hours. It wasn't overly complicated. There were a few hard to remove bolts (mostly on the shackles), but otherwise it was a simple unbolt and re-bolt. I gained about 1.75" of lift in the rear. One small issue I ran into was with the u-bolts. There is another thread dealing with this, but to make a long story short, you'll prefer Nisstec's u-bolts over PRG's u-bolts (they simply fit better).

The front swap was even easier. It should take about an hour, though I ran into an issue that made it take longer. The reality is, there are only four bolts per side that need to come off, though I found loosening the front sway bar helped as well, so perhaps three additional bolts per side (the sway bar connector to the lower control arm and the bolts on the sway bar bracket which when loosened allow you to rotate it out of the way).

The problem I ran into was when attempting to remove the lower shock mount bolt. Even with only 30,000 miles, and a breaker bar, I could not do it. In fact, I even broke a ratchet extension, and nearly stripped the nut. You might be able to attack it easier from the front (bolt side), but I'd highly recommend an impact wrench. If you can't borrow one, consider buying one. It comes in quite handy when working on your car. Lug nuts come off (but not on please) with ease.

Anyway, once the impact wrench saved me, the rest was easy. The three smaller nuts that secure the top of the coilover can be tricky to take off and get back on due to a limited working area, but if you have a decent socket set with various extensions and depths, you should be fine. As for lift, the Radflo coilovers are adjustable, so matching the rear was easy.

Something I used that I think most people overlook, is a good manual like Haynes to get the torque right on each bolt when putting everything back together. It also helped even when taking things apart.

Since installing the new suspension, I've only had a chance to evaluate it on road. So far, so good. I went with stiffer (700 pound) springs up front, to account for the front bumper and winch I have on order. For now, it is a little stiff, but not harsh. The rear is also much firmer thanks to both the better OME springs and better damping from the Radflos. I will have a chance to evaluate it off road next weekend (moderate speed washboard in Death Valley). The weekend after that, I will have an even better opportunity to evaluate it off road while towing a teardrop. I'll update this thread with my off road impressions then.

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Keep us posted on your thoughts off road. I'm needing to do a suspension refresh at the very least in the rear, but likely the front as well and am looking for others opinions on the OME leafs, radflo front coilovers as well as Nisstecs and OME's front coilovers.

702krawler

Adventurer
Took the new suspension off-road for the first time today in Death Valley. Overall, I'm very happy with it. For those of you familiar with Death Valley, I entered via Titus Canyon Road near Beatty, NV.

Everything seemed pretty well sorted at the start of Titus Canyon. The first few miles allow higher speeds (35+ mph), and the suspension soaked it up well. The last 2/3 or so is twistier, so lower speeds were required. Again, there were no issues, but Titus Canyon is never much of a test.

The real test came on the road to Racetrack. To say that surface was severe washboard might be an understatement. My front springs (700 lbs.) were a little stiff without my aftermarket bumper and winch installed, so at certain speeds (10 to 15 mph), it was a little harsh. However, as I picked up the speed to between 30 and 40, things got better. Even in turns, I had no issues with the truck trying to get sideways over the washboard, which means the Radflos were doing a good job of controlling wheel hop via damping.

I should note I also bought some new tires (Cooper Discoverer AT3s), so those may have helped handling as well.

Washboards aside, hitting depressions at high speeds resulted in no bottoming out. I went through at least three dips/craters at speed that I'm certain would have bottomed out the OEM suspension, especially the rear.

More to come next week when I do a more technical trail while towing the teardrop.

Last edited:

702krawler

Adventurer
I just got back from Mojave Road (Feb. 14th to 17th), this time towing the teardrop. While Mojave Road isn't a particularly difficult trail with the exception of one descent right before Rock Spring, it does provide a good sampling of various types of terrain. In all, the new suspension (OME Dakar Leafs with Radflo Emulsions in the rear and Radflo coilovers up front), performed flawlessly. I experienced absolutely no bottoming out in the rear even when hitting dips at decent speeds, whereas with the old OEM suspension, this was a constant problem. All the other aspects of the suspension were great as well, with the front being a little stiff. I purposely ordered the front a little stiffer than I needed. I expect it to be just about perfect after the new front bumper and winch are installed.

As for Mojave Road itself, parts of it are very washboarded. The worst section was right before Soda Dry Lake Bed (we ran east to west). The "ribs" on the road were so pronounced we had to keep a fairly mild pace (10 mph or so). The descent into the wash right before Rock Spring has also detriorated quite a bit since I last ran the road two years ago. The cross-axle whoops are still there, but the bottom part of the descent ends in a very pronounced narrow chute. My buddy in his FJ Cruiser got down without issue, while I opted to use the bypass since I was towing the teardrop. Two years ago, the descent was in good enough shape that I opted to take it with a different trailer, even with much less experience.

I also ran into a small problem toward the end, when driving through Afton canyon. There was a little water in parts of the canyon, and I got stuck in the mud by virtue of blindly following my friend's tracks. The recovery was a quick and easy affair, so no real harm done. However, it could have easily been avoided by me in the first place.

Lastly, a lot of people ask about the depth of the two water crossings. We did the crossings Tuesday morning, both without incident. Both crossings had a max depth of about the top of the tires on my Xterra, or about 32".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94