Rack to mount RTT

I need to build a rack for my RTT. In an effort to keep my weight low when traveling I need to make it adjustable.

My current problem is how to get enough lift out of a lift to run an annex.

the only think ive been able to figure out is to sling the tent. This will allow me to run longer poles so that i can extend longer distances. hopefully its clear from this photo what im talking about. any objections or concerns. or better ways to do it?

rack by Oscar Indy, on Flickr

couple neat ideas in there but none that would lift high enough.

my issue is that i have 22 inches of side wall in the trailer. so if i put a 22 in pipe with another 22in in their I will only be able to raise the tent 17 in. ( leaving the 5in inside for safety) this will give me 39in off the trailer deck. i need 50.

Now if i put a 36 in leg with another 36 in inside. that would give me 31in of lift over the for 67 in of lift. with slinging the tent 14in that will but the bottom of the tent at 53in.

dstock

Explorer
I dont. all the compartments are top opening. The lift will be assisted by some struts so up and down wont be terrible.

Just my 2 cents, you will grow tired of putting it up and down to load it, very quickly. Especially if you need to get to something in route to your destination.

I think I have about a foot of clearance between my rack and the side of the trailer, and honestly I could use a couple more inches to load storage containers and such. My rack does not extend all the way to the front of my trailer so there is some additional room for loading there. If we are only going to be somewhere for one night, we don't bother using the annex and we leave the rack at rest. Having some clearance between the rack and the sides of the bed allow us to still access the load.

Something to consider...

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I had my TEPUI mounted on my jeep rack--Too high and to limited jeep use, so

I mounted it on my trailer and don't use a rack, so the RTT is 50" off the deck and I don't have any reason to add a rack-

I operate the trailer lid with RTT up/down--just added another 50lb gas strut-

it will open loaded-
maiden%20tepui%20tent%20use%20037_zpsfhubmd7o.jpg

Or open
maiden%20tepui%20tent%20use%20031_zpstafohhkw.jpg

My COG doesn't change !

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

i looked at that and to get my lids open(boxes are fixed to trailer) i would need the bottom to sit 20in off the deck. tent is 15in thick in transit mode. seems like it would be a ton of weight up high.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Not for my wife and I, we use an airzone-air tent-

For dressing/game playing/eating--get away from winged predators !!!

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

RagnarD

Adventurer
That is what I did/plan to do again. Build the rack so that the top of the tent (when closed) is the same height as tow vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior