Rack Tie-Down Straps

greenrover

Looking for my rack to arrive this month and plan on doing about 5 days in the eastern Sierra in Aug. Will mostly be carrying tents, duffels, jerry cans and, maybe, some firewood up top. Can anyone recommend the proper tie-down straps. Can't imagine I need ratchets, but would love some feedback from those of you with first-hand experience.

Thanks,
Dave

achampagne

Explorer
I always use rachets, everytime, and never ever lost anything. I highly reccomend them even for small stupid stuff.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
For many many years I just used nylon rope. It's easy and quick to lash things down and doesn't come loose if you do it right. For the past 5 years or so I've been using ratchet tie-downs. Lately I've been thinking of just going back to rope in instances where the more focused pressure points from rope won't matter.

discodisco

Observer
Security

Sometimes when I have gear that is easy to take down and I am afraid will be stolen I use a combination. First I use ratchet straps and then I use chains or bicycle lock cables to secure things to the rack. One of the local offroad stores has lockable ratchet straps but they were too expensive for my blood.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Macs Custom Tie Downs Look no further. Don't be tempted to buy the cheapo stuff from Lowe's or Home Depot. They will just bend and break and you'll eventually get the good stuff anyways.

EE carries the stainless ratchet straps, which might be a little over the top, but sure are nice for the ones that you use outside. I've had a set for years and they still function perfectly.

lake_bueller

Observer
I use ratchet straps on my roof rack also. But I've found that you need to be careful to get the right size hook. It needs to be small enough to fit through the holes in the FarmTek flooring yet big enough to wrap around the rack tubing. I've returned more straps than I care to count.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
One of the local offroad stores has lockable ratchet straps but they were too expensive for my blood.
Do the straps themselves have wire in them to prevent cutting? A locking ratchet is no good with a normal nylon strap. A knife would easily bypass the lock.

The oldest straps I have are about 5 or 6 years old, I think I got them at Home Depot. They've held up well to very frequent use.

I've cut out sections the ribs of the Farmtec flooring as needed to hook the rack tubes. It hasn't affected the integrity of of the flooring.

Last edited:

Crookthumb

Adventurer
I use soft ties, the same ones you use for dirt bike handlebars, looped around the rack tubing. Then you don't have to worry if the tie down hook is too large or small to fit the rack tubing or location. That and it is less harsh on the powder coating if the hook has worn through the rubber protective coating.

greenrover

Thanks for the input

Was leaning towards Mac's Custom Tie-Downs and ordered a bunch yesterday. My Rover Racks custom rack arrived today and will go on soon. New tires on Monday and then head out to the eastern Sierra Nevada next saturday for a 5-day stint of trail runs, fishing, plinking and the like. Will post some pics when I return.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
Was leaning towards Mac's Custom Tie-Downs and ordered a bunch yesterday. My Rover Racks custom rack arrived today and will go on soon. New tires on Monday and then head out to the eastern Sierra Nevada next saturday for a 5-day stint of trail runs, fishing, plinking and the like. Will post some pics when I return.

Thanks,
Dave

The Mac's hooks will fit the tubing where others often will not. It's a good choice that you wont regret. BTW, I'm deeply envious of your upcoming trip. Have fun!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've got some rope ratchets that I absolutely love, can't remember the name off the top of my head. They are mil-spec and they make at least 3 different sizes, maybe more. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior