Rack suggestions?

Ultralite

Adventurer
I'd love an Aluminess but it's been tough to pull the trigger with that price tag. I'm looking for any other suggestions others have had a good experience with.

In addition to carrying items up on the rack I plan to attach an awning I already own that has an add-a-room. And, my son and I would like to sit up there occasionally to watch races.

southpier

Expedition Leader
not sure of your budget, but anything that will accommodate your intended uses will not be inexpensive. that said, I would opt for company service & reliability. best product in the world isn't a value if you can't get a replacement screw.

southpier

Expedition Leader
off topic: I like the "ujoint" ladder mounted on the curb side. too often I see them mounted out in traffic.

Timjim

Observer
If I wasn't hell bent on making my own rack, I would be all in on the Ujoint. You can reconfigure that thing and add to it with great ease.

Ultralite

Adventurer
Ujoint! I didn't know y'all made one. Excellent, I'll be taking a look. Great excuse for me to head into the west NC mountains too. Appreciate the suggestion.

As usual, I tried to research something and get it done on my van and I get waylaid with work and stuff.

Oh well, I did get my passenger swivel installed.

WUzombies

Adventurer
They're easy enough to build for not much money. Same thing with the ladder. As I remember the raw stock came in under $300, the FarmTek decking was caught on sale, the lights and antennas added to the cost. I think all told with everything I'm in it for about $500 the rack and ladder. I promise you that my rack isn't as nice as Ujoints, I'm just a d**khead with a welder, a dream and a slim wallet trying to make it happen.

F8Industries-AdventureWebSized-01-5.jpg

mykdee

Adventurer
They're easy enough to build for not much money. Same thing with the ladder. As I remember the raw stock came in under $300, the FarmTek decking was caught on sale, the lights and antennas added to the cost. I think all told with everything I'm in it for about $500 the rack and ladder. I promise you that my rack isn't as nice as Ujoints, I'm just a d**khead with a welder, a dream and a slim wallet trying to make it happen.

View attachment 405157

I would rather try to build my own, or like temporarydweller did use ladder racks. I am sorry, but $1700 for a roof rack is a little ridiculous. temporarydweller's roof rack does the same thing that a $1700 rack will do. Just not quite as pretty.

southpier

Expedition Leader
money aside, I would us a dab o' caution getting on the roof without getting skewered on the uprights. maybe run a longitudinal rail to tie all four together and give a grabrail?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I would rather try to build my own, or like temporarydweller did use ladder racks. I am sorry, but $1700 for a roof rack is a little ridiculous. temporarydweller's roof rack does the same thing that a $1700 rack will do. Just not quite as pretty.

Don't price an Aluminess rack then! Its not ridiculous once you add up the materials, fab time, hardware, etc. Big difference between the 3 racks being discussed.

Teague

Ujoint! I didn't know y'all made one. Excellent, I'll be taking a look. Great excuse for me to head into the west NC mountains too. Appreciate the suggestion.

As usual, I tried to research something and get it done on my van and I get waylaid with work and stuff.

Oh well, I did get my passenger swivel installed.

I stuck my head in last year, it's a really cool shop you won't be disappointed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94