Rack recommendations for James Baroud Evasion XXL on a 2008 Jeep Rubicon JKU 4 door?

agent00111

I'm looking to buy a James Baroud Evasion XXL RTT for my Jeep. Currently I have an old Wild Boar steel roof rack on my jeep. It's old and rusted through and it's heavy: probably around 120-150lbs.

I'd like to find a new rack with the least amount of weight. The Evasion XXL is 160lbs, so I'd like to see if I can shed some weight by moving to a lighter mounting option. Also, with the XXL, I can't really fit it on a rack with rails: I'd need a platform or support bars due to the overhang.

I've got the factory hard top and I have no issues with drilling through that to mount to the jeep frame if necessary. I don't really see myself ever taking the RTT off my jeep, so I'm not really looking at a rack for anything other than supporting the RTT.

I've seen some aluminum rack options (AEV, Teraflex Nebo) but they look like they use four mounting points and there isn't anything to support load directly above the driver/passenger seats (where the freedom tops are). I'm not sure if those options would work with the XXL which requires pretty much the full length of the rubicon top. I think a Rhinorack 3bar system would be the same: not sure if the RTT overhang in the front is an issue.

Ideally, I'd like to get a lighter rack and shave 50-75 pounds off of that (compared to my current rack) so my net additional weight with the XXL would be about 75-110lbs. Jeep would be fine with the extra weight, but I do want to make sure I have good structural support in case I'm off camber with occasional offroading.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations, especially from first hand experience.

Thanks!

Jason

IMG_2912.jpg

agent00111

Possible, yes, but the frame is fairly rusted and heavy so I'm looking at selling it off and replacing it with something lighter weight.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Hands down the AEV rack, after installing countless James Baroud tents on Jeeps and personally driving one with the same rack and tent everyday I recommend it over anything else.

Yvan06

Hi,

I have a Front Runner Slimline II on my JK.

It's really good even though not perfect.

It's not heavy, really useful but you need to drill your roof. However, it's very stable once loaded ! There are also lots of accessories but they are pretty expensive.

Yvan

Last edited:

mrjosh

Adventurer
If you are considering the rhinorack, you can add a 4th bar using gutter mounts. Here is mine with the 4 hd bars and a bunduawn.

IMG_20170702_164700a.jpg

dpsmedic

Adventurer
I know this is an old thread but hope you're still active...I'm interested in the same tent on my AEV rack on my '18 Rubicon. How bad is the overhang? Do you mind sharing more photos? Thanks
I received your DM - will also respond to that with more info. Here are a couple of photos of it with the Grand Raid XXL Photo Credit @theadventureportal and one with an Evasion XXL

1613AD29-E8D9-4D07-85DA-E19E9A64DC23.jpeg

2426660C-57CB-4F71-AEB8-4B9E8077F4C0.jpeg
D6DBA7CA-B6FF-41BB-B41E-5B087811DAF9.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior