R50 Nissan Pathfinder vs. Gen3 Mitsubishi Montero vs. Gen3 Toyota 4Runner

DanF.

Adventurer
I'm toying with the idea to sell my BMW 540i and purchase a DD 4x4 that would cost around $5,000. My wife owns a 2004 Pathfinder, and my brother owns a Gen3 4Runner, so I've had some experience and driving time with those two, but no experience with a Montero. I'm looking for the pros/cons of each. I'd like to do a mild build on it to give it some better offroad/camping/overland capabilities, e.g. tires, rack storage, lighting, mild suspension, etc... The follow pros/cons are not all-inclussive, and I'd appreciate whatever you guys can add to my list. FWIW, I'm going to post in the three main sub-forums (here, and in the Nissan, and Toyota) to get as much info as I can.

R50 Nissan Pathfinder

Pros: Strong engine, easy to lift 1-2", can still find manual gearbox with low miles, smaller size vehicle

Cons: Not a ton of aftermarket support, tire size limited by IFS, complex engine, not many came with factory LSD

Gen3 Mitsubishi Montero

Pros: strong driveline, very good 4wd system, can still find near-100k mile versions in good condition, lots of interior room, factory LSD

Cons: no manual gearbox for Gen3 models (?), long overall size

Gen3 Toyota 4Runner

Pros: Large aftermarket support, great reputation for toughness, can find manual gearbox versions, some came with rear diff. locker

Cons: most have 200k+ miles by now, seem to rust more, least powerful engine of the three, smallish interior

Again, feel free to add to this list, and share your opinions. I'm 6'2", and lanky, so width isn't a big concern. I like camping/mtn biking/exploring, and have a dog that'll ride in the back.

WMDunkin

Adventurer
Just keep in mind a R50 with a lift and larger tire is near Rubicon factory specs. So you can cover some good ground. I believe there is some rear diff options for R50 though.

The R50 has arb lockers available for the front and rear. The rear diff in the R50 is a nice unit. Remember, earlier than 2001 R50s have the VG33e, which is a great motor and very easy to work on, but does not have tons of power. Rebuilding the VG33 with a higher compression helps, but will set you back a couple of grand.

Isn't the third gen Montero IRS? We had some trips with a guy that had one and he always did okay, but the winch helped a lot.

DanF.

Adventurer
The R50 has arb lockers available for the front and rear. The rear diff in the R50 is a nice unit. Remember, earlier than 2001 R50s have the VG33e, which is a great motor and very easy to work on, but does not have tons of power. Rebuilding the VG33 with a higher compression helps, but will set you back a couple of grand.

Isn't the third gen Montero IRS? We had some trips with a guy that had one and he always did okay, but the winch helped a lot.

It is IRS. What sort of terrain are you talking about?

XPLORx4

Adventurer
DanF- what sort of terrain do you plan to drive on?

This statement "I'd like to do a mild build on it to give it some better offroad/camping/overland capabilities, e.g. tires, rack storage, lighting, mild suspension, etc... " does not seem to indicate that any vehicle you buy will require locking diffs and lots of axle articulation.

Perhaps you can help define your expected use cases in order to get more concise and relevant advice from 4-wheel-drive expedition veterans here.

DanF.

Adventurer
DanF- what sort of terrain do you plan to drive on?

This statement "I'd like to do a mild build on it to give it some better offroad/camping/overland capabilities, e.g. tires, rack storage, lighting, mild suspension, etc... " does not seem to indicate that any vehicle you buy will require locking diffs and lots of axle articulation.

Perhaps you can help define your expected use cases in order to get more concise and relevant advice from 4-wheel-drive expedition veterans here.

Right now (and for the next couple years) I'm living along the Gulf Coast of Texas. Lots of beach/sand, but not much else. No trails nearby, no off-road parks, etc... For example, my wife's stock 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 with new General Grabber AT2s can go anywhere on the island. The problem is that it's her car, and I don't want to be responsible for causing extra wear/tear on it by doing things that adventurous folks do.

I agree that I probably don't need lockers or big-travel suspension right now, but we will be moving up to New England (still deciding on NH/VT/ME) once I graduate school, and there will be plenty of areas where I'd benefit from a vehicle with some legitimate off-road capability. At least for now, in Texas, I'd have to take a long weekend trip to find some land where I can go exploring and off-roading. Sorry if this might be rambling and vague.

I guess I like the idea of a rig with good on-road prowess, but that can also hold its own when needed. Big power isn't a real concern, as most of the speed limits on the island here are 35-45mph anyways.

A Montero seems like something that strikes the best balance between creature comforts (the cabin in a Gen3 Montero Limited looks like a comfy place indeed) and off-road ability. Since I don't really have any experience with them (yet) except from what I can read here and elsewhere online, and videos on Youtube, I'm just looking for some honest opinions. I've been getting some great insight into the pros/cons of the three models I was initially curious about, as well as some additional vehicles that might suit my request. You guys are the experts.

DanF.

Adventurer
I didn't really answer your question....

I want to go camping far from the beaten path, if necessary. I'd like something rugged enough to hold up, but still offer decent ride quality while commuting everyday. Power isn't crucial. I'm an OK DIY wrench-turner, and have done lots of work on my previous cars, and have a pretty good idea of how to find parts online.

Occasional trail use, once I find a place to go.*

Potential bug-out rig, but that's not a big part of my decision-making process. I just want to know that I can get through, over, around, away from, etc... whatever may pop-up. (My BMW can get away plenty quick, but it's limited to roads.) Hurricanes and flooding are a big deal here, and I keep that in the back of my mind.

Ask more ???s if I haven't answered you clearly.

nasko

Adventurer
DanF, out of the 3 I would choose the Montero. IMO the 3rd Gen 4runner is a good truck, but it is 1996 technology. I do not have experience with he Pathy, but the Montero is great vehicle. Not sure how much Xterra's go for in your area, but the 2nd Gen (2005-) is a pretty good truck, not as luxurious as the Montero, but the 4L is a great engine. Cheers and good luck in your search.

justbecause

perpetually lost
with 5k there isnt a toyota i would even consider. their name, just like jeep, commands a price the vehicle simply does not deliver on. (even if I had 30k I would be looking at a loaded titan before any toyota, they simply cost more than they are worth)

If you want a manual gearbox then finding a low mileage isuzu trooper (with a manual only, I cant stress enough not to get an automatic isuzu) is what you need to be looking for. You can get ARB lockers front and rear, 2.5" OME lift, HD torsion bars. almost anything except a full length roof rack is available as a bolt on option. but the more "standard" length rack will fit.

I have a 1998 Pathfinder that is SASed and has a rebuilt high compression VG33. After the SAS it drives better than ever and after the engine rebuild it runs smoother and has plenty of power, but this was a LOT of work. This is how far you can go. I also have a 1999 Infiniti QX4 (VG33E) that is 100% stock except for a spring lift (my girlfriend owns it now) and would do any dirt road adventure I want and more. This is how little you can do and have a blast.

The Montero sounds like it will do everything you want with great comfort but little future expansion, the other two vehicles are more capable with the Nissan being much easier on the pocket book and the 4 runner having better after market. I still like the R50 platform, the unibody is stout, the rear axle is very strong , junk-yards are full of them so parts are easy to come by, and they are comfortable. Both of my R50s have over 200k (250k on the 98 before rebuild and the old engine is within service spec) and pass a leak-down test with flying colors.

Take what I say with extreme bias towards the R50. I am VERY familiar with this platform. I am not very familiar with 4 runners and even less so with the Montero save word of mouth and how I have seen them perform.

If money is your main determining factor start looking all over for the vehicle that fits your wants and go forward with what you learn.

Camelfilter

Explorer
You might think about including the QX4 as well. Same platform as the R50, some more interior niceties as well. Depending upon your search area the Q's might be in much better condition (higher percentage garaged, perhaps lower mileage etc etc). Least ways that what it seems here in the PNW.

I had been pondering picking up a pathfinder again, and noticed the better conditions of the Q's in my area...

DanF.

Adventurer
You might think about including the QX4 as well. Same platform as the R50, some more interior niceties as well. Depending upon your search area the Q's might be in much better condition (higher percentage garaged, perhaps lower mileage etc etc). Least ways that what it seems here in the PNW.

I had been pondering picking up a pathfinder again, and noticed the better conditions of the Q's in my area...

Good suggestion. My wife has a 2004 Pathfinder 4x4, and even though I fit pretty well in it, I'd like something with a bit more room. I'm 6'2", about 190lbs, but lanky, and would like a more upright seating position. I sit so low in my BMW with my legs stretched out, and find that its similar to her R50, and also to my brother's Gen3 4Runner. These aren't deal-breakers by any means, but if I'm going to buy something to drive every day for the next few years I'd like to be as comfy as possible.

Surprisingly my 6' 7" friend says my R50 is one of the smaller vehicles he fits in. As for upright seating position you NEED the leather or power seats in the R50. They sit higher and can be made to sit upright. I actually threw a leather driver seat in my 98 because of this ($75 at the local yard).

Several things about the QX4, 1999 and earlier models used an electronic shift for AWD and 4WD and a lever to engage 4 low. The later models have an electric actuator in place of the lever for 4low. The QX4 did not come with a manual transmission and you cannot put a manual in front of the ATX14 transfer case (in the qx4 and later auto 4wd pathfinders) but the ATX14 transfer case has a lower low range than the TX10. I agree that the QX4s are generally treated better by their owners and can be found in great shape when compared to the regular R50s. Plus all of their electronic gadgets are reliable and I have only had one failure of the luxury items in my QX4 which was easily remedied.

Let us know what you end up with.

I had to share this because the 3.5 and 5spd is rare in my area. http://dallas.craigslist.org/******/cto/5293922644.html I had no idea the price had gotten so low on these, but I guess they are getting old. It looks far from perfect, but the basics are there.

DanF.

Adventurer
I had to share this because the 3.5 and 5spd is rare in my area. http://dallas.craigslist.org/******/cto/5293922644.html I had no idea the price had gotten so low on these, but I guess they are getting old. It looks far from perfect, but the basics are there.

That is a decent example. I was pushing for a 5-spd Pathfinder, but the wife wanted an automatic because she hated driving my 6-spd. in the hills of Oakland, where we moved from. Now we're in TX and it's all flat and straight and she says she wouldn't mind a manual gearbox. (Damn...) When we were looking for her Pathfinder there were a few nice manual examples around Houston.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz