QX56/80 High Mileage an Issue for Purchase???

counter_motion

HI Gents,

(Sorry long post)
I've been an avid enthusiast of motorsports and off-roading and was always drawn to jeeps and live axle vehicles. But now im looking at some IFS options like the GX470/460 and Y62(QX56/80/Armada Gens2). GX's have become insanely expensive due to the realization that they are Prado 120's and that Miramar Motorsports in SD has been spitting them out at $20k+ 120-130k miles with OME suspension, Method rims and TB/WP replaced.

I've been following @PetitFrereArmada and @leeleatherwood for quite awhile now and their rigs have really been an inspiration to me for overlanding in lightly almost stock form to one off, self custom builds.

1611870970448.png

So im getting ready to pull the trigger for a rig thats been at a lot for over a month and the dealer is just trying to recover the cost they paid for it so im getting it at $20,570 out the door, originally sticker priced at $21,900. Its a 2014 QX80 AWD 108k miles, dry state, single owner, no current recalls. I have had PPI done on it and the tech came back with a code of P0420 in bank one, there's no CEL at the moment, but he said it can trigger at anytime. Not too concerned with this as i can chop the cats and put in some high-flows. One item of concern is the timing chain, it doesnt look like its been replaced and it looks like a pretty labor intensive job. I'd hate for the tensioner to go bad and leave me with a messed up motor.

The next concern is on the carfax. It has had multiple visits to its local infiniti dealer in less than a month and under 1K miles in between visits earlier in its life, the later service is normal 3-5k mile interval.

02/05/2018
67,768 miles
  • Vehicle serviced
    • Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
03/16/2018
69,758 miles
  • Vehicle serviced
    • Maintenance inspection completed
    • Oil and filter changed
    • Tire condition and pressure checked
    • Tires rotated
    • Vehicle washed/detailed

-07/17/2018
74,820 miles
  • Vehicle Serviced
    • Oil and filter changed
    • Battery/charging system checked
    • Tires rotated
    • Engine electrical system checked
    • Vehicle washed/detailed
    • Brakes checked
    • Battery replaced
08/22/2018
75,458 miles
  • Vehicle serviced
    • Recommended maintenance performed
    • Battery/charging system checked
    • Body electrical system checked
Dealer has no warranty for it, i can purchase a "Factory Type Warranty" for 48months 60k miles for $2685.
So the short of it is; is this rig worth it? Am i buying into a possible headache with hidden issues?

leeleatherwood

Just add a bottle of Zinc (STP) additive to the oil every change if you are worried about timing guides, and don't run that 0w crap. Run 5w-30 or higher.

Do a FULL transmission fluid change.

You'll be fine.

For the Cat efficiency code, I'd honestly just put spark plug non foulers on the rear O2 sensors. I don't care at all if my cats are not performing at peak efficiency.

Last edited:

counter_motion

I picked up the rig this past weekend. It looks really great for the age and mileage. One thing i did notice is that if im light on the gas pedal i get the RPM flutter like the transmission is looking for the correct gear, or as if its misfiring and momentarily retarding timing. But if im generous with the gas but not flooring it, its smooth through the gears and RPM rises steadily. I called infiniti and theres no open service calls and they said if there is an update to the TCM needed they can apply it if i have them do a ride along and diagnostic. Any ideas? Anyone else experiencing the issue?

dra2120

You should join up over at clubarmada as well...From what I remember reading over there, there is a TCM update that will fix the flutter issue. It seems to be a common problem on the second gens, and it is resolved with a computer update. I've got a first gen QX56 (based off the titan, not the patrol), and while it is not a vehicle I ever really wanted, I like it more and more as I spend more time with it.

leeleatherwood

I picked up the rig this past weekend. It looks really great for the age and mileage. One thing i did notice is that if im light on the gas pedal i get the RPM flutter like the transmission is looking for the correct gear, or as if its misfiring and momentarily retarding timing. But if im generous with the gas but not flooring it, its smooth through the gears and RPM rises steadily. I called infiniti and theres no open service calls and they said if there is an update to the TCM needed they can apply it if i have them do a ride along and diagnostic. Any ideas? Anyone else experiencing the issue?

Get the TCM update and full fluid change, I had same and that fixed it.

leeleatherwood

Any update about the light throttle issue? It seems this is common and everyone I know who changed the fluid fixed it.

Of course others take it to the dealership and get quoted $5k+ for a new transmission. :rolleyes: Dealership seems to think these are sealed units and never need a fluid change, so any issues must mean it needs a new tranny or torque converter.

I tow 10,000+ lbs across the US 3 times now, tranny holding strong. ??? up to 150k miles on her. I am continually impressed with the reliability of this drivetrain because I put it through absolute hell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles