Quigley?

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
How is a Quigley different from other 4x4 van options? I've looked at SMB's and at u-joint's conversion. All the Quigleys I have seen seem to lack height in their lift. Do height options exist for the Quigley? Are they as rugged as SMB and u-joint?

I have been searching for the right van to do u-joint's conversion but am having a hard time finding the one that meets my specifications and I see a ton of Quigleys for sale.

Thanks!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I don't know about this darn Ujoint guy, but I can tell ya a little about the Quigley's!!! They're basically impossible to lift unless you want to fabricate a BUNCH of new bracketry. They're more prone to death wobble. It's usually caused by worn trac bar or control arm bushings, or possibly a broken trac bar bracket. Very little wheel travel, and you need fender trimming for even a 33" tire. (some will argue with this, but I've put 33's on 4 or 5 Quigley's over the years)

I do have a guy in NY removing a Quigley system and going with my setup right now.

I don't want to come across as a "hater", the Quigley system is a great value, and works great for the majority of 4wd van owners.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
What are your specifications? I have a Quigly and love it. Are you wanting to run giant tires and massive lift then you probably will not gain much out of a quigly I run 33s with the fenders trimmed. I beat the day lights out of my van on a regular basis once a week usually at a minimum once every two weeks I am out running trails I drive to and from and never worry about anything. I am getting ready to lift it 3 inches and run 35s on it. This can be done cheap and easy anymore lift will be a bigger issue and no there are no aftermarket lifts for these. Everything needs to be built from scratch. Yes mine had death wobble and it took a set of 50 dollar bushings and a hour to change them out and it has never been a problem since then. I will easily put my van up against any van on on 33s and never worry about it. If you do buy quigly make sure the control arms are tube and not the older u shaped arms those were weak and cracked under hard abuse. I did change my t-case mount it hangs way to low for me so I clocked it up out of the way I am not sure how U-joint or SK or smb does theirs but that was the first thing I had to change on mine.
Derek

deserteagle56

Adventurer
What are your specifications? I have a Quigly and love it. Are you wanting to run giant tires and massive lift then you probably will not gain much out of a quigly I run 33s with the fenders trimmed. I beat the day lights out of my van on a regular basis once a week usually at a minimum once every two weeks I am out running trails I drive to and from and never worry about anything. I am getting ready to lift it 3 inches and run 35s on it. This can be done cheap and easy anymore lift will be a bigger issue and no there are no aftermarket lifts for these. Everything needs to be built from scratch. Yes mine had death wobble and it took a set of 50 dollar bushings and a hour to change them out and it has never been a problem since then. I will easily put my van up against any van on on 33s and never worry about it. If you do buy quigly make sure the control arms are tube and not the older u shaped arms those were weak and cracked under hard abuse. I did change my t-case mount it hangs way to low for me so I clocked it up out of the way I am not sure how U-joint or SK or smb does theirs but that was the first thing I had to change on mine.
Derek

Exactly what did you do, what bushings did you change out, to eliminate the death wobble? My 2007 Quigley has only 23,000 miles on it and has not suffered from death wobble yet - but just in case it ever does, I'd like to know exactly what to do to fix it without going through a lot of experimentation.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Desert Eagle,
I would not be to worried about it anytime soon. I replaced the track bar bushings. Ask anyone that owns a quigly and I am willing to bet you would be hard pressed to find a van with less than 75k that has the death wobble. DW does not just happen to your van if you are in tune with the way the van handles and rides you will start to notice a small harmonic wiggle in the wheel at certain speeds. it will then go away as speed changes up or down. This wiggle will become worse over time say 5 to 15k it will eventually turn into death wobble. If you are not confident in your mechanical ability when that happens have a good front end mechanic look at it. These vans are heavy on the front end and chances are there may be a few other things worn. DW is the result of slop in the front end take the slop out and it will go away if you wheel hard and a lot (like I do) bushings wear faster than normal so they are the first to change but that also means other things could be worn. My van had 170k when it started to dw so say the bushings have been changed out once that still means your getting 85k out of a set not great but not to bad for a cheap set of bushings. I personally like four and five link set ups with coils leaf springs work and are proven it really just comes down to what you perfer My jeep has had leaves on it since I was 16 and you can tweak and dial them into do what ever you want them to do. But I feel that a four or five link set up is much more universal and works better across a broader spectrum of driveing.
Derek

getout

Adventurer
Advanced 4wd

Check out Advanced 4wd (www.advanced4x4vans.com). I've been over to their shop a bunch and they really know their stuff. They've got vans out here in Utah that have hundreds of thousands of miles put on them by tour companies and when the vans get too warn out they bring them back with a new van and have Advanced swap all the suspension over.

They might even give you some advice or sell you some parts. They may also know if they've got any used vans floating around out there that are for sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles