Quieting my pintle hitch????

leadsled01

After reading the "which multi axis hitch do you prefer" thread. I decided to stick with my pintle and lunette hitch. Question is, how can I quite this thing down?? I did see some sort of plastic ring one time but cannot find any info about it.

S

Squatchout

I've found the best way is to make sure the pintle is sized for the ring. I've had an M416 for over 20 years and use a 7 ton pintle bought from northern tools. It fits my ring pretty well. Also keep a little gear oil or grease on the ring where it meets the pintle. That really keeps the turning pops down because the ring slides easier. Often a lot of the noise comes from a loose fiting insert in the receiver. That just exagerates any slop in the ring. Drilling and tapping the bottom of the receiver tube for a bolt to put tension on the the insert works well for this just like it does for a ball hitch. You'll still get a little noise but some goes with the territory. Mine is quieter than many ball hitches I've owned over the years. I've never really understood why so many folks are down on a pintle/lunette myself. Great strong hitch that can't be overflexed. Easy to lock up the trailer with a chain or a ring lock. Much easier to back up to and hitch than most other hitches. The advantages far outway any disadvantages in my book. Just know if you use a combo Ball/pintle it will be noisy. To much slop and they bang a lot.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Given the parameters of your query, reducing noise in a pintle/lunette trailer coupler, here is a quote from the opening post in a recent thread on this forum:

[I'd give you the link, but the discussion was highjacked almost immediately.] :yikes:

Been reading through the threads and I find the biggest complaint about a pintle setup is noise. I usually take a fat bicycle inner tube and cut it up into little sections and slip one or two onto the bottom jaw of my pintle hook. this seems to stop any clanking noise.

The inner tube does not last very long, but it is a disposable piece that you can carry lots of. if I am offroad I usually put [on] two or three layers. On the road one layer lasts quite a while. I usually electrical tape one end of it on, that way when it breaks up I am not littering rubber all over the place and the torn bits just hang off the tape so I can throw it in the garbage.

You can also wrap the inner tube and tape it around the lunette for the same effect.

I have had no binding issues or ill effects.

Another suggestion has been to match lunette and pintle as closely as possible.

Disclaimer:
All information given is for entertainment purposes only and shall not be construed as a recomendation, suggestion or advice of any kind, whether sound or otherwise. Your mileage may vary. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Side effects may include being forced to endure scorn and ridicule from those who would remind you that a pintle hitch is so 19th Century, and that the hapless fool who ventures offroad with one exposes himself to certain desolation and despair.

nat

Adventurer
Couple things. Make sure the lunette and pintle are matched close as possible.

Wrap the lunette with a radiator hose.

gasman

Adventurer
i have had the pintle for a few years now and maybe im doing somthing wrong, cuz i got no noise, it is very rare that i hear the pintle at all ,when on the road / highway i never hear it, when on the trail sometimes, and its not that loud,, is my hitch better matched ? or is my trailer loaded and balanced correctly ? cuz i swear i dont hear it very often,

S

Squatchout

i have had the pintle for a few years now and maybe im doing somthing wrong, cuz i got no noise, it is very rare that i hear the pintle at all ,when on the road / highway i never hear it, when on the trail sometimes, and its not that loud,, is my hitch better matched ? or is my trailer loaded and balanced correctly ? cuz i swear i dont hear it very often,

Probably both. Well matched and enough weight on the tongue to keep it from bouncing and banging.

leadsled01

I like the radiator hose idea... Anyone seen a plastic insert? I swear I've seen them somewhere....but can't recall where.

TacoDell

Adventurer
I believe the proper match/fit of the pintle and lunette... is key...

However... as one tightens up that free play...

the tighter tolerance can cause a bind between both components...
which can occur when the trailer is shifting 90* right to left...

and so... I would recommend greasing the lunette and pintle to avoid the commonly known pop and release that could occur.

In other words...
the free play tolerances between the lunette and pintle...
can be too tight and promote bind.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
My lunette can turn 360 degree's and actuates the brakes from any position. Is this not common ? I have the ball pintle type hitch and its not the best fit and have been on the lookout for a better one.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The fit of the two parts is why I am interested in any published standards for lunette and pintle dimensions.

Albin

Adventurer
The fit of the two parts is why I am interested in any published standards for lunette and pintle dimensions.

I've got a copy of A-A-52550 which is the CID spec for the 18K, 40K and 100K pintle assembly hitches. Unfortunately, the inside diameter of the pintle is controlled by other specs, specifically international standardization agreement ASCC AIR STD 11/8, QSTAG 264, and STANAG 4101. This CID also states that these pintles as being interchangeable with MS51335F, MS51118F and MS51117E.

I have the MS51335F and it states the following: "Applicable provisions of ASCC Air STD 11/8, QSTAG-264, and STANAG 4101 are marked with an *. This dimension shall be of such size that it will accept a 3" x 1.66" lunette (see MS51336)."

I've also got MS51336 which shows the lunette hole being 3" +/- 1/32" FWIW.

The STANAG spec shows the lunette size but not the pintle dimension shown in -52550 and IHS standards and specs shows nothing for the AIR STD or QSTAG specs, so we're hosed there.

There are some trailer specs and drawings that may show the pintle sizes, post up your trailer type (m101, M-105, etc.) and I'll see what I can find through the Boring Library system.

Al

Z Bronco

I have towed my M416 for 18 years over all kinds of terrain and it has been relatively quiet. Make sure there is enough weight in the front of the trailer putting weight on the tongue (lunette eye), this will stop the bounce that can happen if the trailer is loaded too heavy in the back. Sometimes when rock crawling a bang will happen (first time it sounded like I blew a U joint), but I usually never know that the trailer is back there.

Vince1

Adventurer
After months of the constant clanking and trying all kinds of rubber hose, I, in a fit of rage, took a torch to the lunette and then installed a Maxcoupler. Best money I ever spent on the trailer.

REasley

Adventurer
Has anyone tried spiral hydraulic hose wrap? The stuff is a high density polyethylene and is very tough. It's extruded in a spiral and would wrap around the lunette eye. I would guess a #8 or #12 would fit depending which eye you use. It would cost less than $5 for the foot or so that it would take. You should be able to find it a any hydraulic shop. http://www.pro-tec-toproducts.com/pro-tec-to-wrap.asp

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne