Quiet sleeping bags for restless sleepers

snowfiend

We have two boys, 4 and 18 months and it's coming up on the little guy's first camping trip when I realized he doesn't have a sleeping bag. We bought TETON Sports Celsius Jr for Boys 20* Sleeping Bag for the oldest but the taffeta shell is so loud when he tosses and turns that I refuse to buy another one. It drives me nuts all night! Wife and I have these TETON Sports Sportsman's 0* Sleeping Bags which have a cotton/flannel like exterior (says polycotton) and doesn't make nearly as much noise.

I know everything now is technical materials and spaceage ultralight gizmos, but are there any old-school 0-20* flannel bags for kids out there anymore? Or at least without a polyester shell? This Cabela's Youth Mountain Trapper 0*F bag is the only one I have found and almost perfect, but it's 5.5' long and $100, which is a bit much on both fronts for a toddler.

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
so funny, My wife and I got a double sleeping bag that was made with the taffeta shell, after 3 trips we returned it...we hated it! it made soooooo much noise.
We ended up getting a Grizzly Double that is flannel and we love it! its a bit heavy but we leave it in our RTT at all times.

BTW i think they have kids bags..

snowfiend

so funny, My wife and I got a double sleeping bag that was made with the taffeta shell, after 3 trips we returned it...we hated it! it made soooooo much noise.
We ended up getting a Grizzly Double that is flannel and we love it! its a bit heavy but we leave it in our RTT at all times.

BTW i think they have kids bags..
Thanks, just checked Grizzly but the only youth bags are the indoor slumber party kind. I'm tempted to get another Teton adult bag and just fold the extra underneath to double as a sleeping pad.

snowfiend

Update: I bought this bag Teton Trailhead 20* Ultralight
It was the most quiet synthetic bag and I am hoping the mummy style with hood will help contain him better than a standard rectangle. Either that or he will hate it and I inherit myself a new sleeping bag ;)

Edit: as I was looking up that link it shows a scout option which is 75x30x20 vs 87x32x22. May return the big one and get the Scout size. $20 cheaper too.

Last edited:

snowfiend

The Teton Trailhead Scout was a success. Slept much quieter than the older kid's Teton Celcius Jr bag, and it was plenty warm with the overnight low of 42*. Deer camp is in 2 weeks and higher up so it may be a bit colder, but not concerned after this trip.

snowfiend

The Teton Trailhead Scout was a success. Slept much quieter than the older kid's Teton Celcius Jr bag, and it was plenty warm with the overnight low of 42*. Deer camp is in 2 weeks and higher up so it may be a bit colder, but not concerned after this trip.
Still loving this Teton Trailhead Scout bag. Spent a few days in the mountains down to 38* and no complaints from the little guy. The older one is still using the Celsius jr and it still drives me nuts how loud it is. I might get an adult Trailhead +20* or they have a Tracker in the same material that is +5* to replace my big traditional sleeping bag.

bluejeep

just a guy
the taffeta shell is so loud when he tosses and turns
It drives me nuts all night!

I have had 'restless leg syndrome' RLS forever. If his legs have to move, he tosses and turns for hours, and it keeps him awake, it should be checked with the doctor sooner rather than later. Sleep is so important. I finally found Ropinirole (https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/ropinirole-oral-route/description/drg-20066810) as the only effective solution for me. (Check with your doctor). Living with RLS is horrible, I often wonder what I could have accomplished (or been alert enuf to avoid) if I had sufficient sleep for the last 60 years. It can also 'attack' on long car rides, airplane travel, in the middle of school where there is little movement of your legs Sorry to go on, but if I can alert even 1 person to RLS early in life and they get help, this long text will have been worth it.

snowfiend

Thanks Bluejeep, I get RLS as a side effect from certain allergy/cold meds so I know how frustrating that can be. I don't think its RLS, he sleeps like a rock and its only occasional.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have had 'restless leg syndrome' RLS forever. If his legs have to move, he tosses and turns for hours, and it keeps him awake, it should be checked with the doctor sooner rather than later. Sleep is so important. I finally found Ropinirole (https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/ropinirole-oral-route/description/drg-20066810) as the only effective solution for me. (Check with your doctor). Living with RLS is horrible, I often wonder what I could have accomplished (or been alert enuf to avoid) if I had sufficient sleep for the last 60 years. It can also 'attack' on long car rides, airplane travel, in the middle of school where there is little movement of your legs Sorry to go on, but if I can alert even 1 person to RLS early in life and they get help, this long text will have been worth it.
I have it too. I read cutting back on drinking (if you drink) and smoking (if you smoke) can help. Also exercising / walking is supposed to help.

I find for me it's worse in the evenings when I'm sitting trying to relax or when I crawl into bed.

Having a desk job where I sit most of the time doesn't help either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles