Quick Trip to Flaming Gorge NRA

pcjeeper

Observer
So, we've been camping with our little girl since she was two months old...but until recently, our forays were limited to improved campgrounds in state and national parks.

IMG_3942.jpg

This fall, now that she was two, we decided it was time to try our hand at unimproved camping and for our inaugural trip, we made the short drive over to Flaming Gorge NRA. Though I had a hard time finding much info in terms of backcountry campsites and the like, we grabbed a map and headed for a couple areas that looked promising. We went the first weekend of October and since the improved campsites had all closed for the year, we pretty much had the place to ourselves...except for the elk hunters, as it was opening weekend.

We drove from SLC up and over Utah 40, which was a beautiful ride in and of itself. The leaves were turning all the way there, so there was no lack of views on the way. The first night, we headed to Eagle Basin, on the south side of the reservoir, hoping to have some big views of the reservoir. And while we didn't get any sweeping vistas, we ran into tons of wildlife.

Only a quarter mile off the pavement, we rounded a corner in the trail to find a moose carcass...and a bear cub getting an afternoon snack. We stopped about fifty yards away and let our little one watch nature in action. She loved it, especially the diminutive size of the cub, but her momma and I just kept looking for the sow. We probably watched the little guy for twenty minutes, but the sow never did turn up.

_MG_8220.jpg _MG_8240.jpg

After driving a goodly distance away (and farther away from the carcass than the three or four hunting trailers that were already in place) we set up camp for the night. It was a nice clearing in the woods, with plenty of room for us to stretch out. No sweeping views, but a cozy patch of forest nonetheless. After a quick walk around and a nice dinner -- steak and mac-n-cheese, our go-to first night meal -- we sat around the fire a bit and then piled into the tent.

_MG_8242.jpg _MG_8263.jpg

We were awakened two or three hours later to the yips of coyotes moving about in the night. As per usual, our girl slept through it all. The coyotes kept moving about all through the night, which was fine and dandy until we heard footfalls just outside the tent. A quick check to ensure the pistol and the bear spray were handy and I threw on the headlamp to survey the scene. No bears (thankfully) but three bold coyotes twenty or thirty yards away. While they seemed awfully curious, they moved along shortly. Between the cold (it dropped below thirty most of the night), my four months' pregnant wife (she's a trooper), and our wiggle-worm of a two-year old (who like to sleep in the H-pattern), I didn't sleep much, but as always, it was nice to be out. Much to the little-one's delight, we awoke to at least twenty mule deer grazing right outside of the tent. They were even kind enough to let us get the tent open, stumble out, and watch them for a few minutes before moving along.

_MG_8272.jpg

The next morning, after debating the merits of another freezing night out, we packed up and decided that we'd hike around for the day and figure out what to do about that night. We headed up to the Flaming Gorge Dam, which empties into the Green River, and after lunch, headed down the riverside trail. It was perfect for us -- a nice mellow hike along the river with plenty of trout swimming in the clear, glassy water. The little one loved watching the fish...and throwing rocks to see them scatter and the trail was mellow enough that my lovely wife felt great.

After the hike, we drove around the southwest side of the reservoir, looking for big view and figuring out if we wanted to spend another night. The drive did not disappoint, with sweeping views all around.

IMG_8281.jpg

Reenergized after seeing the reservoir in all its glory, we set out to find a worthy campsite for the evening. We headed out toward the Dowd Mountain overlook and realized that there was at least one trail that took us right down to the edge of the plateau. After following random trails around for a bit, we found a beautiful site that overlooked the reservoir, had a nice flat place for a tent, and faced northeast (which made for a great show in the evening and some much needed sunlight first thing. If you ever get the chance, amble on down Trail 613, and there are a number of these beautiful sites. Ours was at N 40 53 40 / W 109 38 41.

IMG_8347.jpg _MG_8354.jpg

That night, after the cacophony of the coyotes the night before, all was quiet. It was honestly the quietest night I've ever slept in a tent. It was like the whole world decided to sleep tight -- not a gust of wind ruffled the tent fly and we didn't hear an animal make a sound, which made for a good night of sleep.

_MG_8397.jpg

And after a quick breakfast the next morning, it was time to head back into the world of computers, iPhones, and real life responsibility. All in all, it was a wonderful weekend away (if not a little chilly).

Last edited:

skibum315

Explorer
Awesome!! Glad to hear about the trip, thanks for sharing ... we've got a little one of our own (6 weeks on Sunday), so it gives me hope to hear that there might be life after the sleepless nights.

Cheers.

J

JWP58

Very awesome. I hope to make it out to the gorge next year. Did you see a ton of people?

skrillah

Adventurer
Nice write up, looks like a good time! I'm impressed with how well your wife handled it being pregnant and all. I can't say my wife would do the same...:)

loup407

Adventurer
Nice to see you taking your little girl out at an early age. I'm the oldest of 5 boys, and my parents took us camping at least 2x a month. I remember my two youngest being infants and one of us would always get "stuck" with taking care of them, while Mom got a break. All five of us grew up loving the outdoors and now, lots later (I'm 60); all five of us are still camping. It was one of many great gifts by our parents. Their opinion was, if you start out young enough, the kids never know better, and think camping is "normal". I still prefer waking to the sound of coyotes, rather than the alarm clock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles