Quick tire question...sorry if it's been asked

flyfisheraa573

I need to find out a quick answer...I'm on a mobile and not in a place where I can search for the answer...mods please feel free to delete afterwards

I have an opportunity to pick up a set of 325 70r17 tires cheap

If I do not have a lift (factory rubicon springs and shocks), but I am planning on trimming my factory fenders...will these tires work?

If not, what will it take, short of a lift?

Many thanks...ahead of time!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
That's a unique size. I'd go measure them. If they are a true 325, you'll need wider wheels and some sort of lift, because that would be a "true" 35" tall tire, where all the 315 tires are about 34.5".
You could do a budget lift, trim the fenders and rock rails. But you'll still need aftermarket wheels, otherwise they will crown too much and drive/wear bad.
If you don't mind me asking what brand/model tire are these?

flyfisheraa573

Scott, thanks for responding

I'm pretty sure they are Nitto's...not sure of the model...I'll check on Tuesday...I'll also double check the size

They are take off's from a Hummer SUT...about 75% life left

I have a spare set of JKU fenders to trim into flat's...I know the pinch seam will also have to be trimmed, as well as the front air dam.

The tires "measure out" at 34.9

onetraveller

Adventurer
You can run 35s with just flat fenders and the right offset on the wheels. 4.5 inches or less of backspacing. You might rub disconnected, depending on the fenders you use, but as long as the sway bar is hooked up you'll be fine.

Mike

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Scott, thanks for responding

I'm pretty sure they are Nitto's...not sure of the model...I'll check on Tuesday...I'll also double check the size

They are take off's from a Hummer SUT...about 75% life left

I have a spare set of JKU fenders to trim into flat's...I know the pinch seam will also have to be trimmed, as well as the front air dam.

The tires "measure out" at 34.9

If they measure out at 34.9", then they probably are 325. It's a wide tire to mount on the stock Rubicon wheel. I think you'll find that you will need a bit more width on the wheel adapter as well.
Might be worth looking for a set of used wheels to go with the tires.
Would also allow you to sell your complete set of Rubi wheels/tires to recoup on your investment.
The front edge of the rear fender-well and rock-rail is where I think you'll have the most work to do.
In the picture below of the right rear tire at full stuff, this is a 315/70R 17 S/T Maxx on a stock Rubicon wheel with 1.5" spacer, and no lift. It also has the Mopar Hightop Fenders. It is *just* slightly rubbing the rock rail cap and the inner fender liner. By removing the inner fender liner it would gain 3/8" before hitting the metal pinch seam. This tire is 34.6" overall diameter.

Attachments

• Fenders-Full-stuff-rear.jpg
    Fenders-Full-stuff-rear.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles