Quick Fist Clamps

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
I just bought some Quick Fist Clamps to hold an axe and shovel to my roof rack.

From everything I have read, these clamps are the best and work really good. I just wanted to know if anyone out there has had one fail. I would hate to drop a shovel on the hwy!!

Thanks - Bart

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Mine have been holding well for a few years now... no issues. Cant beat them for the price.. good product.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Never had one fail myself. But if you are worried, use a small aircraft style cable as extra (and locking) security through the shovel handle.

I think that's what FlyingWil uses on his shovel mounted on the back of his Tacoma.

Pete

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Never had one fail myself. But if you are worried, use a small aircraft style cable as extra (and locking) security through the shovel handle.

I think that's what FlyingWil uses on his shovel mounted on the back of his Tacoma.

Pete

I have been thinking of doing the safety cable thing myself.

So far after hundreds of miles off pavement driving I have had no problems.

SawmillEnduro2009078.jpg

StonyfordCampingaug2009177.jpg

StonyfordCampingaug2009178.jpg

StonyfordCampingaug2009179.jpg

The rubber strap on the propane tank was just to hold the little yellow bag in place. It is not holding the propane tank.

--

dnellans

Adventurer
same here - no failures after maybe 4 years of having short shovel on the roof rack when adventuring. i was nervous at first too, and i'm sure it would go flying in an accident though.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the replies.

use a small aircraft style cable as extra (and locking) security through the shovel handle.

Pete, can you maybe post a photo of what you mean? I am not sure I know what you are talking about. A way to "lock" the stuff in place would be nice as well...as we all know, petty thieves are petty, I wouldn't put it past them to steal a $15 shovel!

Thanks - Bart

socaljeeper

Adventurer
I also use them to mount my axe and shovel on the side of my trailer and they have been holding up fine. The only thing is my axe has a heavy head and it sags the quick fist a little because how it is mounted. I use a utility strap to help hold it up and extra assurance it will not fail while driving.

dnellans

Adventurer
Since I just posted about this a few weeks ago - I thought I should update. This weekend I was out on a forest service road, nothing too exciting, mostly just washboard. About 10 miles in, clank clank clank. What do i see in my sideview mirror but my shovel spade grinding against the side of my truck :(

The quick fist ripped out of its mount where it was held on by a bolt to the roof rack. The other one was showing serious signs of cracking as well - probably from being in the UV for years.

So its a total flip flop on my part - I'll keep using them for my mag light inside the truck, etc but I'm definitely going to re-think my shovel and axe storage even though it worked fine for the last 4 years.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
So its a total flip flop on my part - I'll keep using them for my mag light inside the truck, etc but I'm definitely going to re-think my shovel and axe storage even though it worked fine for the last 4 years.

Being rubber and having them exposed to the open air, this doesn't surprise me. I've been using them for my 15lb co2 tank which is mounted on it's side on my roofrack using Quick Fists.

I've been wondering how long they'll last up there with the UV, Ozone, & weather destroying the rubber.

I think I'll start inspecting them before each trip once it reaches the 2 year mark and regardless of their condition seriously consider replacing them at 4 yrs.

dnellans

Adventurer
yup - the ones inside the truck for the mag light look and feel like new. those that saw a lot of sun time definitely "feel" drier but are functionally ok. i might end up just replacing them all $10 a pair every 4 years is pretty cheap in the grand scheme of truck costs. food for thought mostly

Vermejo

Adventurer
I drove into the garage with the shovel still in the Quick Fist mounts. Unfortunately, for my garage door, they did not let go of the shovel. Same mounts have been on the truck for 2 years and are still holding strong with no signs of age. I’m looking to try the larger size on the armrests for noncompliant passengers.

KG6BWS

Explorer

Pete

what work really well are the cable style gun trigger locks. ive got a couple that i use on my hi lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier