Questions for off-road campers

Lwing

Hello I have a build in progress, E450 Ford Van 158"wb with spring loaded aluminum flatbed almost done and looking at camper design.
Any thoughts on cab over to cab clearance, was thinking 2", now after research maybe that's not enough? The cab does have a 12" extensign attached.
Another question re cabover interior height, any thoughts on what's acceptable, wife would like about 4', I'm thinking something like 30"
wanting to keep everything as low as possible
Thanks

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
wing, a photo of your progress would be nice. I'm finding it difficult to visualize what you want to do. For starters, Ford pickup cabs sit a few inches higher than GM or RAMs. Whether this applies to E's, I don't know. You must be some fabricator. I'm not even sure this is the best forum for E's cum camper. Have you tried the van forum?
jefe

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
If you look up on this or other forums for pictures of Ford vans being driven harshly off-road, you might get a better idea about what kind of articulation to expect between the roof of the cab and the camper cabover.

1566797014427.jpeg

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Hello I have a build in progress, E450 Ford Van 158"wb with spring loaded aluminum flatbed almost done and looking at camper design.
Another question re cabover interior height, any thoughts on what's acceptable, wife would like about 4', I'm thinking something like 30" wanting to keep everything as low as possible

We’ve had numerous, various cabovers (pop ups and hardsides) with cabover over bed space as little as 24” and as much as @30”.

I will tell you something seriously important, as far as the wife’s desires, above.......and that is...my sweetie and I had a better, more frequent and more enjoyable “cuddling sessions” in the more spacious cabovers than in the hot, smaller cramped ones!
So there is that...

Last edited:

Lwing

Will get a pic up, wife is pushing for more room in cab over, thanks for the head up, her interest is very limited in the process to begin with

Lwing

20'7" bumper to bumper, interior of camper at 6'6" will give me a 10'1" overall height. Was shooting for 10' max height.
Leaves 25" interior cabover height with 2" clearance to cab. Still working on deck, aux fuel, skid plates
Realizing a build is full of compromises, just trying to limit them. Am considering angling up of cabover then stepping back down in living quarters, just looking for some experienced knowledge of what works for some. I'm 6'4" 225lbs , even measured shoulder width at 24" plus 6" mattress it's looking tight
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
The 25” headroom in the over-cab does shrink pretty quickly once you put a decently thick mattress up there.

In our first, small hard sided camper, my shoulders actually brushed the ceiling in the over cab bunk when I’d roll over. It felt too confining at first...but we made do and got used to it. So as long as neither of you are too claustrophobic, that concession to your overall build might work.

You may want to try out a simulator first for the two of you, so you can get an idea about how it feels lying on you back and staring up at a ceiling only maybe a foot away, and whether that shoulder width issue is bothersome when you turn and roll over.

As you know, at the end of the day, getting a good nights sleep is a pretty important part of enjoying your outings.

Lwing

I like the simulator idea, will maybe pull out a sheet of ply wood and try a few different heights
Camper will be full custom, never could find what I wanted, so the build began

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles