Questions About Wiring ARB 50

chet6.7

Explorer
I want to connect the fridge up to my house battery and connect the house battery up to the 12V power in the 7 way trailer plug.
Can I run a fused wire from the pigtail to the battery,and connect the fridge to the battery?
I would splice both hot and ground wires to the pigtail,fuse the hot and connect both wires to the battery,then I would use the fused ARB wire loom from the battery to the fridge.
I just want something easy/safe for a quick trip.

In the future,I will do a better system when I connect the inverter,Blue Sea fuse box,12V and USB outlets ect.
Thanks.

Superduty

Adventurer
My guess is that it will work fine when the vehicle is running. However, I don't think it will run continuously with the vehicle off, wire gauge isn't large enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

chet6.7

Explorer
My guess is that it will work fine when the vehicle is running. However, I don't think it will run continuously with the vehicle off, wire gauge isn't large enough.

Thanks,I will test it.
The ARB loom "Consisting of 20ft (6m) of double insulated 10 gauge auto cable." The wire on the pigtail is at least 10 gauge,I will use 10 gauge from the pigtail to the battery.

Superduty

Adventurer
I haven't actually tried it, I thought about doing the same thing. However it seems whenever ppl wire up their ARB fridges with less than 10 ga the low battery sensor/protector of the ARB kicks on. Seems to happen in many vehicles when ppl use the cigarette lighter plug as well.

I hope it works, that makes for an easy wiring solution.

Please update this post either way.

chet6.7

Explorer
I haven't actually tried it, I thought about doing the same thing. However it seems whenever ppl wire up their ARB fridges with less than 10 ga the low battery sensor/protector of the ARB kicks on. Seems to happen in many vehicles when ppl use the cigarette lighter plug as well.

I ran the fridge for 24hrs with a CTEK battery charger connected to the house battery,that is also connected to the starting batteries through the 7 way trailer plug. My long term plan is to use a 5 Amp Battery Tender mounted to the truck, for use when it will be parked for awhile,so this was a test for that idea.
I just ran it for 24hrs on battery power,it is working OK,maintaining temp. I haven't has a chance to drive the truck for an extended time,if I remember it correctly, the 7 way plug has a 30A fuse,so it may be possible to drive 6hrs a day and keep the batteries at safe levels. I will eventually have a better system,but this appears to be working OK for now.

Superduty

Adventurer

I ran the fridge for 24hrs with a CTEK battery charger connected to the house battery,that is also connected to the starting batteries through the 7 way trailer plug. My long term plan is to use a 5 Amp Battery Tender mounted to the truck, for use when it will be parked for awhile,so this was a test for that idea.
I just ran it for 24hrs on battery power,it is working OK,maintaining temp. I haven't has a chance to drive the truck for an extended time,if I remember it correctly, the 7 way plug has a 30A fuse,so it may be possible to drive 6hrs a day and keep the batteries at safe levels. I will eventually have a better system,but this appears to be working OK for now.

Have you tried running it without the battery tender? I figure you won't have any issues so long as the battery tender is hooked up.

chet6.7

Explorer
The diesel has 2 starting batteries,and I have one house battery in the shell. I had a welder make a box that will eventually be placed where the spare tire was located,it will hold 2 house batteries.I also have a Blue Sea ACR,BS Fuse Box,Magnum 1K inverter,and a few other bits and pieces.Life can get in the way of the plans of mice and men,hopefully,one of these days, this stuff will get installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94