Questions about the Montero Sport

Darkrider

Adventurer
Due to some unforeseen circumstances i find myself replacing my normal daily driver with something cheaper and paid for in full. One of the vehicles i am currently looking at is a 2003 Montero Sport XLS. Since i am still in the shopping phase now would be the time to find out more about this particular vehicle. It appears to be in decent shape and does not require much to get past safety. Labor will most likely cost far more then parts as i am around $360 in parts to get it done. A lot of the stuff i can install myself so that helps. Enough rambling...on to the questions.

1: What are the main differences between the Sport and regular Montero. They obviously look a fair bit different but as far as i can tell not sure what else is different.
2: What are common mods to do?
3: Most advised mods to do?
4: Things to watch out for in terms of maintenance

I am going to keep searching on here to learn more about it but any advice to the above would be much appreciated.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Those are large questions with thousands of words to answer. Lets narrow down a bit. Why are you considering a Sport instead of the full size? Answering that can then help answer more specifically about the differences.

Reactions: plh

Darkrider

Adventurer
Those are large questions with thousands of words to answer. Lets narrow down a bit. Why are you considering a Sport instead of the full size? Answering that can then help answer more specifically about the differences.

Main answer to that one is the fact that the Montero is the only vehicle i have really looked at at this point and have any decent info on it so far. Heck what are you calling the full size for that matter?

Darkrider

Adventurer
y4NGrQE.jpg

This is the Montero i am looking at if that helps clear any confusion.

ARDOR

They're entirely different vehicles; its really unfortunate Mitsubishi applied the 'Montero' moniker to both as it really confuses and muddies the water for many.

The Montero Sport is essentially an SUV body mounted to a 3rd gen Mitsubishi truck (L200/Triton) chassis.

Think Toyota Hilux Surf/4 Runner vs Land Cruiser.

There are similarities and some/many drivetrain, suspension, and brake parts parts cross pollinate or can be made to work but they're ultimately completely different platforms with far more after market support and community centered around Monteros and very little catering to Montero Sports.

Montero Sports are decent vehicles with certain trim models offering nice features but are generally considered less capable and robust than Monteros and have a lower build quality overall.

Darkrider

Adventurer
So just so i have it straight in my head. The one in the pic above is one of the body on frame versions you mentioned correct? In that way it is more like the 4 runner then in design. Since it is a truck platform i am assuming it is set up with leaf rear and torsion bar front end?

ARDOR

The pic you posted is of a Montero Sport, it is NOT a Montero.

To make it easier on yourself, consider the truck you posted merely a SPORT, an entirely different vehicle than a MONTERO.

It's built upon a 3rd gen Mitsubishi L200/Triton truck platform.

Montero Sports have leaf rear ends until 1999, from 2000 on I believe they're coil rear ends.

I know they had torsion bar front ends through 1999, not sure if/when they went to coil front ends.

Darkrider

Adventurer
The pic you posted is of a Montero Sport, it is NOT a Montero.

To make it easier on yourself, consider the truck you posted merely a SPORT, an entirely different vehicle than a MONTERO.

It's built upon a 3rd gen Mitsubishi L200/Triton truck platform.

Montero Sports have leaf rear ends until 1999, from 2000 on I believe they're coil rear ends.

I know they had torsion bar front ends through 1999, not sure if/when they went to coil front ends.

Ok good to know! So it is the truck based rig that happens to share nameplate. Aka the Challenger in Australia. Or as you pointed out it is the Sport.

evomaki

Observer
As others have said it is confusing to have both platforms have a common name. As between the later Sports and the regular Montero. My understanding is the 3.5liter Sport engine is the same one as in the regular Montero up to the year 2000. Also a 3.0 available in the Sport. Not sure what the XLS has. My 2000 Montero has the rear pumpkin and an axle shaft fitted from a wrecked Sport, owing to the Sport 4.9 gearing vs. 4.27 for the regular Montero. The entire front diff assembly in my 2000 Montero is also from a Sport. In a way it is a bit more robust as it lacks the center vacuum activated 4wd actuator. It's always on. I don't know about transmissions as between the two. Regular Montero transmissions are known to be robust. Lots of commonality with the 3.5 liter engine. I think back in the day the Sport was a lower trim level (no seat warmers, lack of leather interior - fabric holds up better anyhow, lower spec sound system, a bit smaller vehicle - neither is huge). I think the Sport is less supported but that is very relative. It's not like the regular Montero is all that popular. If you like the condition of that vehicle and need a new ride, go for it. Valve stem seals leaking oil is a problem with many of these vehicles. I had to replace my valve stem seals and replaced the lash adjusters while at it. Good luck.

plh

Explorer
so many parts cross-over especially between the Sports and the Gen 2.5 Montero and older, yet so many parts do not cross over. Like others have said, they are completely different platforms, built in different Mitsubishi factories in Japan (Pajero Manufacturing Co., Ltd, Sakahogi, Gifu - Montero) ( Okazaki, Aichi - Nagoya Plant - SPORT)

To me sitting in the SPORT is like you are sitting on the floor. In the Montero sitting position is more chair like.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
We have both...
2003 Montero Sport Limited
2002 Montero Limited

Sport could have 3.0 or 3.5L (for sure in Limited and XS, I think optional XLS) Yes a smaller SUV, but on the Triton frame as mentioned. Surprisingly tough, with solid rear axle, (better articulation than full sized Montero), and possible hybrid limited slip differential with 4.90 as mentioned, depending on model. Torsion bars up front, 6 lug wheels, and suspension components much beefier than the typical SUV setup. Tight seating for 5, decent cargo space. Better for 2 and 2 kids, or the dogs.

I like XLS and Limited for the fender extensions, driving lights, dressup features. The 3.5L engine is similar to the 3.5L in my full sized Montero, with certain exterior features being quite different, oil pump/filter location, fan, belts, A/C, power steering, etc.

If I could only have one, then full-sized Montero but they command a price. I've offered to replace my wife's Sport with various newer vehicles. She won't have it. "Can't you just keep fixing mine?" With that said the Sport, offers a potential bargain if you hunt carefully. They are kinda small, and I would guess less aftermarket support compared to other brands, but I still am in the camp of "best kept secret" of overall capability for the dollar. You need to be handy with a wrench, and detail-oriented, or have a local shop that speaks fluent "Mitsubishi". Timing belt, valve seals, lifters, oil leaks at cam ends, water pump, and valve cover gasket leaks are the "greatest hits" (or misses), that folks don't take care of. One weakness of the Sport is the factory rear springs, made to be softer than the truck version, often bottom out on large bumps. Good shocks and a spring upgrade are worth figuring in.

I'll argue the full sized Montero is a completely different animal. 4-wheel independent suspension in the '01 and newer, 7 passenger seating, fully Monocoque chassis, more luxurious. Some don't like the lack of articulation and aftermarket support, but in the real world of daily driving/some off road use, the Montero is fantastic...generally speaking.

Reactions: plh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles