Questions About Shocks/Springs Ram 2500

I wish those Bilsteins were available now, as I'd have them included on my upcoming AEV install. Unfortunately, they've been referenced for years without any ETA.

My "wish" from Ram would be the ability to option lockers, sway disconnect, articulink arms, and full skids on a diesel Tradesman, keeping original springs for the GVW. I dislike the "either/or" optioning currently.

If all you're lacking is the "go fast" element, is it worth it to solicit a remote reservoir shock from King or Fox with heavier tuning? Seems like you have a pretty good idea of your sprung weight and someone could spec shocks that would be an improvement.

WILDPEAK

I wish those Bilsteins were available now, as I'd have them included on my upcoming AEV install. Unfortunately, they've been referenced for years without any ETA.

My "wish" from Ram would be the ability to option lockers, sway disconnect, articulink arms, and full skids on a diesel Tradesman, keeping original springs for the GVW. I dislike the "either/or" optioning currently.

It seems Ford figured some of this demand out with the Tremor, the winch is optional at least.

You could swap coils and shocks on a Tradesman PW build but you'd be stuck with the low PW GVWR placard in the case you go heavy with a camper, etc.

ttengineer

Adventurer
So order a set of longer heavier rate springs. They are not that expensive from some of the custom spring shops. I bet a 10-15% increase in spring rate would solve goals.

Like I’ve said before, it’s not magic. If you want better load carrying capacity you have to up your spring rate. Then you’ll need to valve shocks, I’d do a 3.0 for heat management since you want so much weight capacity.

I’m a civil engineer by trade and not a mechanical engineer, but what you’re talking about is doable with my limited knowledge on vehicle suspension mechanics.

The “go fast” option is just in the shock valving. Which takes time, but is doable with simple hand tools.

It’s all a trade off though.

As far as progressive rate springs go, i personally don’t like them. The only exception is for race stuff. If you find that you’re blowing through the travel on a linear spring a progressive spring might be the solution, but I don’t like how progressive springs ramp up at the end. I think a linear spring feels better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I think the part number issue is one of laziness with Ram. If you search by VIN the correct coils for your application will pop up even though they say fits multiple trims. The Power Wagon coil part number is unique to the Power Wagon, it’s just not listed as such.

I have Thuren’s 2” coils and Fox 2.0 shocks on the front of my 2019 Hemi 2500. Rides great in the front. The stock rear frustrates me a bit. It’s not harsh but certain road features tend to make the truck feel like the rear is bouncing. I’m running 45 PSI on an empty truck. Drove a leaf sprung F350 and on those same roads it was smooth, of course it sucked going over pot holes.

I am tempted to try Thuren’s Fox 2.0 shocks for the rear and see if that helps. Next step would be a track bar. Core 4x4 makes control arms for these trucks and that may help too.

I am hesitant to try Thuren’s 1” rear coils. I do not haul or tow a lot, but do load the truck up for trips.
Interesting observation on the Ford F-350. I see them bouncing around on the freeway all the time. They are designed to carry a lot of weight.

Last edited:

WILDPEAK

So order a set of longer heavier rate springs. They are not that expensive from some of the custom spring shops. I bet a 10-15% increase in spring rate would solve goals.

Like I’ve said before, it’s not magic. If you want better load carrying capacity you have to up your spring rate. Then you’ll need to valve shocks, I’d do a 3.0 for heat management since you want so much weight capacity.

I’m a civil engineer by trade and not a mechanical engineer, but what you’re talking about is doable with my limited knowledge on vehicle suspension mechanics.

The “go fast” option is just in the shock valving. Which takes time, but is doable with simple hand tools.

It’s all a trade off though.

As far as progressive rate springs go, i personally don’t like them. The only exception is for race stuff. If you find that you’re blowing through the travel on a linear spring a progressive spring might be the solution, but I don’t like how progressive springs ramp up at the end. I think a linear spring feels better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From a simplicity and versatility standpoint I agree a linear rate spring is ideal, and easier to tune the shocks accordingly. I noticed that when I had the Carli +2in "multi-rate" springs on the rear of my power wagon I blew through the compliant portion just at static ride height, but I didn't notice anything negative about the progressive spring rate otherwise. In my experience from several overweight Toyotas and now this RAM, I think a linear rate coil with an upgraded bump stop is good all-arounder crawl/go-fast/haul setup.

With regard to 3.0 shocks, agree for heat dissapation because the energy required to damp/control a stiffer spring has the potential to build more heat, especially at high speed, but a 2.5 with remote or piggyback reservoir seems to be the full size industry "normal." I'm seeing some interference issues pop up lately especially with Carli weld-on shock brackets with 3.0s especially with the flexy articulink Power Wagon arms.

Screenshot_20210120-053305.png

Screenshot_20210120-053213.png

Screenshot_20210120-053345.png

Screenshot_20210120-053451.png

WILDPEAK

Not exactly thrilled with the slight interference in the rear on my 2.5s...

So we have 3.0 interference in front and 2.5 interference out back which I was also warned about from a couple of suspension companies...

Fuel on the fire for a proper 2500 expedition suspension!!!

Last edited:

jonathon

Interesting observation on the Ford F-350. I see them bouncing around on the freeway all the time. They are designed to carry a lot of weight.

This particular stretch of highway is only 5 years, but it’s concrete and gently rolling. I think the issue is more a wiggle than bounce.

bahn112

So we have 3.0 interference in front and 2.5 interference out back which I was also warned about from a couple of suspension companies...

Fuel on the fire for a proper 2500 expedition suspension!!!

Well that is concerning considering I just ordered a set of 2.5 Kings front and back from Thuren for my '19 Powerwagon.
I ordered the front 1.5" springs as well. I'll be keeping the stock rear springs as I'm running a Decked system as well as a cargo rack, etc. The plan was to possibly add a 1" spacer for the rear.
Down the line I was going to add the track bars as well as the steering damper. My truck only has 4,000 miles right now so I figured I could add those down the road (around the 20k mile mark as suggested by Thuren).

This is the first i'm hearing of interference.

I have to say I am sold on Carli suspension I have had great success with all there products. Deavers in the rear, Carli springs are Deavers with a different sticker. Carli 3" dominator system with 3" Kings. . 08 steering. Borgeson box, Steering brace. Firestone bags, With self leveling air ride valve. Helwig "Big Wig" rear sway bar.
That rear sway bar really works well. IMG_1287.JPGIMG_1536.JPGIMG_1123.JPGIMG_1531.JPGIMG_1549.JPGIMG_1540.JPGIMG_1579.JPGIMG_1124.JPGIMG_1125.JPGIMG_1552.JPG

jonathon

I’ve previously mentioned my rear end wiggle/wag on my 2500, particularly on concrete freeway joints. I decided I’m going to install the Thuren rear track bar and reassess. If it is satisfactory the next thing will be Fox 2.0 shocks for the stock rear springs.

Jenzz

Any news regarding the Bilsteins? I'm running 37s with AEV 3" Dualsport suspension.
Battle ready, the truck is approx 9500lbs with the wedge camper in the back. Looking for options to upgrade the rather flimsy 5100s.
When researching the pages from Thuren and Carli, I wonder if the King and Fox sets will match regarding length and valving? Anyone running a comparable setup?

ttengineer

Adventurer
Tauren will build you a set that will work. You just have to let Don know that you’re on an AEV 3”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior