Questions about Frontier

parajeeper

I've got a Jeep Wrangler but now that I have a teardrop trailer and more interested in expedition type off roading than rock crawling and think a smaller truck would most functional all around. Toyota's are pricey here in Colorado so looking at Nissan Frontiers (used). What are the pros & cons and things to look out for?
Also I'm 6'4" so going to a smallish truck is a leap but I know it would be more practical and give me more trails to run.

I'm looking at is a 2000 crew cab 4x4 with V6 and 109,000 miles for $7,000. It has 3 in lift with 285/75/16 tires, skid plate and winch. Has a new radiator and has been switched to an electric fan. The timing belt was just changed. The Check engine light's on for the IAC (idle air control) motor and he says he never had any issues with it starting or idling in winter or summer & just got it's emission test done with the light on. Thoughts?

link30204

Observer
Price is way to high IMO. Kbb lists it in the 4k neighborhood from a private seller and low 6k from a dealer. I had a 2000 and loved it and had no issues with it in the 3 years and 130k miles I had it. It was far superior then the 2003 Dakota i replaced it with. I have a 2015 Frontier now, its a much more refined truck then the 2000 was.

Only you can decide what its worth to you. But I would be inclined to offer 4500-5500 depending on condition

xkid

Adventurer
I had the same engine in my xterra. Not a speedster,but it was reliable and had no problems.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
$7K? WAY too much. A much better 2nd gen (with a more powerful and economical engine) can be had for that kind of coin.
The VG33 of the first gen Frontier has the power of a 4-cylinder and the economy of a V8. Unless you got the optional supercharger, that has the power of a V6 and the economy of a big block V8.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've got a Jeep Wrangler but now that I have a teardrop trailer and more interested in expedition type off roading than rock crawling and think a smaller truck would most functional all around. Toyota's are pricey here in Colorado so looking at Nissan Frontiers (used). What are the pros & cons and things to look out for?
Also I'm 6'4" so going to a smallish truck is a leap but I know it would be more practical and give me more trails to run.

I'm looking at is a 2000 crew cab 4x4 with V6 and 109,000 miles for $7,000. It has 3 in lift with 285/75/16 tires, skid plate and winch. Has a new radiator and has been switched to an electric fan. The timing belt was just changed. The Check engine light's on for the IAC (idle air control) motor and he says he never had any issues with it starting or idling in winter or summer & just got it's emission test done with the light on. Thoughts?
He passed emissions with a CEL? I'm skeptical of that. My understanding is that as of last year you cannot pass emissions if there is a CEL no matter what the CEL is for.
I know back in the old days you could pass emissions with a CEL but my recollection is that the state changed their rules last year. I even remember seeing all the billboards advertising the change.
You say you're on the Western Slope so emissions testing shouldn't be an issue for you but I'd wonder about that CEL.
As far as the price goes, I think what you're running into is the fact that double-cab Nissans are tough to find on the used market and expensive when you can find them.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
. Kbb lists it in the 4k neighborhood from a private seller and low 6k from a dealer.
I think most of the internet sites grossly underestimate the value of used 4x4's and trucks, it's been that way for years. They may be accurate when they are listing values for cars that are basically interchangeable appliances like a Corolla or a Malibu, but trucks and 4x4's are purchased by enthusiasts who will pay more for the right vehicle, especially if it has low miles.
Only you can decide what its worth to you. But I would be inclined to offer 4500-5500 depending on condition
Even at $7000 my guess is it won't last long on the used market.
There's also the weird factor that even though pickups are generally more spartan than SUVs and have been used harder, they almost always command more on the used market.
Not sure why that is but it's something I've noticed for years. Take two more or less identical vehicles, one a pickup and one an SUV (let's say a 1st gen Tacoma with a 3.4, auto, 4x4 and a similarly equipped 3rd gen 4runner), in the same general condition with roughly the same miles on them and the pickup will always be sold for thousands more on the used market - even if it's got higher miles or is more beat up, and even though the SUV will likely have a nicer interior and some other refinements that the pickup doesn't have.
The problem with saying "it's only worth $XXXX" is that it assumes the OP would even be able to find a similarly equipped vehicle elsewhere. A 2000 with only 109,000 miles on it? That's an average of 6800 miles/year. What do you think the odds are of finding another similar vehicle with miles that low?
From the OP's perspective it's not the issue of whether the price is "fair" or not, it's the issue of whether he should jump on the one truck that's available now (albeit at a higher price) or if he should wait on the assumption that something better will come down the road if he waits. From what I've seen Frontier CC's are not that common and the ones that are sold go for high prices for that very reason. The low mileage alone pretty much makes this one a unicorn.
For that matter I think some of you may live in SoCal or similar areas with huge populations. You may well be in a large enough used car market that you can be choosy and drive a hard bargain. In the intermountain west the market's a lot smaller and OP may not see another Frontier CC available for any price for quite a while.
Put yourself in the OP's shoes: If he passes on it, or makes a lowball offer and never hears from the seller again (pretty much the same thing), and then in 6 months when he still hasn't found anything close to that at the same price, is he likely to regret it?
Conversely, if he overpays and gets exactly the truck he wants, in 6 months is he really going to miss the extra $1500 or $2000 that he spent? Or is he just going to be glad he got the exact truck he wanted?

parajeeper

Thanks for the info, didn't realize there was a 1st & 2nd generation. Now gonna look at an 06 with 72K miles, he wants 13800 for it but that low of a mileage in primo condition isn't common.
A issue with the original truck is the larger tires with no regearing, he said it will maintain 55 on the inclines but I'm gonna be towing a teardrop camper and don't want to be that dogged down,
With the 2nd gen engines, is there sufficient power to run 33s without regearing?

Hi Martin, it's Walt, we camped with you @ Capital Reef last year :wavey:

jhberria

Adventurer
Thanks for the info, didn't realize there was a 1st & 2nd generation. Now gonna look at an 06 with 72K miles, he wants 13800 for it but that low of a mileage in primo condition isn't common.
A issue with the original truck is the larger tires with no regearing, he said it will maintain 55 on the inclines but I'm gonna be towing a teardrop camper and don't want to be that dogged down,
With the 2nd gen engines, is there sufficient power to run 33s without regearing?

If you're looking to tow anything (including your teardrop) go with a 2nd Gen. More than sufficient power to tow your camper while running 33s in any conditions. This is not the case with the 1st Gen platform.

You shouldn't have to re-gear unless you really want to or you go bigger than 33 inch tires. With 2nd Gen Xterras (basically the SUV version of the Frontier, identical drivetrains) people don't re-gear until they step up to 35s. Depending on the trim the specific truck you're looking at comes in, you'll be dealing with different factory gearing. I can tell you that my Pro-4X Xterra (the trim formerly known as "Off-Road") runs 3.36 gears and spins 285/75/16s with ease. The M226 rear axle is a Dana-44 variant and known to be fairly robust for a mid-sized truck or SUV. The manual trans version of these vehicles run 3.69 gears, which would be even better.

Found this breakdown of Frontier gearing by trim:

XE KC 4x2 5M C200k 4.083
XE KC 4x2 5A C200k 3.692
SV/SE KC 4x2 6M M226 3.538
SV/SE KC 4x2 5A C200k 3.133
SV/SE KC 4x4 6M M226 3.538
SV/SE KC 4x4 5A C200k 3.133
SV/SE CC 4x2 6M M226 3.538
SV/SE CC 4x2 5A C200k 3.133
SV/SE CC 4x4 6M M226 3.692
SV/SE CC 4x4 5A C200k 3.357
NISMO KC 4x2 5A M226 3.133
PRO-4X/NISMO KC 4x4 6M M226 3.692
PRO-4X/NISMO KC 4x4 5A M226 3.357
NISMO CC 4x2 5A M226 3.131
PRO-4X/NISMO CC 4x4 5A M226 3.357
SL/LE KC 4x2 5A C200k 2.937
SL/LE KC 4x4 5A C200k 3.133
SL/LE CC 4x2 5A C200k 3.133
SL/LE CC 4x4 5A C200k 3.357

bigskypylot

Explorer

You'll want to look for signs of SMOD and if a bypass has been done on anything from 2005 thru mid-2010. That's for auto transmissions only.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/11-pow...it-list-year-mileage-user-outcome.html#/enter

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Hey, great to see you over here! Did you get rid of the JKU?
FWIW the 4.0 V6 in the 2nd gen Frontier is even more powerful than the 4.0 V6 in my '07 4runner so you shouldn't have any trouble at all with your Hiker trailer. In fact, there's another couple in our group (Michael and Monique) who have a heavy home build TD and their tow vehicle is a 2nd gen Frontier CC, it tows great.
If you have the money, IMO it would be worth it to go for the newer, more powerful 2nd gen. Probably get better MPG too.

parajeeper

FWIW the 4.0 V6 in the 2nd gen Frontier is even more powerful than the 4.0 V6 in my '07 4runner so you shouldn't have any trouble at all with your Hiker trailer. In fact, there's another couple in our group (Michael and Monique) who have a heavy home build TD and their tow vehicle is a 2nd gen Frontier CC, it tows great.
If you have the money, IMO it would be worth it to go for the newer, more powerful 2nd gen. Probably get better MPG too.

Still got the JKU but with the bigger tires and weak engine it tows poorly in the mountains. We figured a smallish truck would do us better as we want to do more expedition type outings than rock crawling. We are going to build a yurt this winter to go along with the hiker and a truck bed would be best to haul it.
Yea after the input here going for a 2nd gen Frontier

bigskypylot

Explorer

Agreed!

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
Not only do the second gen have better drivetrain and power, the frame is way stiffer, making towing more enjoyable.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and strongly suggest moving into a second gen. Mine is still very powerful with all the mods, it's comfortable, quiet, drives well, and gets decent fuel mileage.

My first gen was none of those things.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
IMO the only"benefit" to a 1st gen is that you get a by-god transfer case shift lever vs. the electric dial control on the dash. But even there I haven't heard of any serious problems with the electric shifter on the 2nd gen so probably not enough of a difference to offset the other negatives of the 1st gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior